Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Have I Got Here, and what can I do with it?

tandmark

One of the Regulars
Hiya,

Yeah, that's way interesting news, Timeras. They've stretched eBay-bought hats for me before gratis. But completely reblocked? Cut the brim down? Wow. I'm stunned.

They told me, when they were steam-stretching a Panizza for me this fall, that they did that kind of thing for free on the theory that anything that got more people buying Real Hats was good for their business.

But completely reblocking? Cutting down a brim?

It's so amazing that I'm repeating myself!

Hey, when you were there, did you at least take a look at their pugarees as a stopgap alternative to a ribbon? I wore the hat I mentioned earlier on this thread to work today. It was OK to look at, at least to my eye. Which it wouldn't be if it were "naked."

Cheers,
Mark

Timeras

New in Town
To be honest, I barely glanced at the pugarees... since they didn't have the ribbon I was looking for, I was already moving on, trying to remember what else I wanted to try and have done to it at the moment... They did try to suggest some to me, that and other band-type things, but NO, I was entirely too focused on MY WAY...lol....

I had forgotten the piece of paper that had the brim measurements I wanted to consider, so I was furiously trying to remember the widest measurement. Luckily I did, at 2 7/8", but he had me try it on at 3", just to be sure I still wanted to cut more off (I did).

Now, here's a question... we were discussing the Indy-style fedora for a bit, and he claimed that my hat was taller than the Indy...so the question is, when you measure the crown height, are you measuring it unbashed? or is it say, from brim to highest point of the bash? I've heard the Indy crown being 5.5"; and I measure mine at pretty close to that, but measured with the bash. (Interestingly, I don't see how the crown could be any shorter, and still have the dent look right... my head almost touches the dent underside when I'm wearing it).

In any case, they did a wonderful job with it, and I was very pleased with it. I asked him if I owed him anything, and he said no. So, I made a small question about the fact that they might be changing locations in the next 9 mos. or so, then took off, immediately getting into conversation with a guy walking down the street about the cool hat he mentioned I was wearing. (Ya just gotta like that- he wasn't a live-in-a-shelter-street person, but I gathered from his appearence that he did much of his living outside...he kinda rambled a bit about some other stuff, but was very complimentary of my hat, and of hat-wearing in general.)

So, a couple blocks away, right at the garage where I parked my car, I realized that I had forgotten to tip them as intended. Feeling like a real heel wearing my newly re-styled-for-free hat, I told myself that I would circle the block again, and see if I couldn't stop momentarily right in front of the store. Luck was with me, I was able to park for a sec and run in and hand him a solid tip. I think they were pleasantly surprised to see me back so soon, and I can only hope they didn't cuss me too bad when I forgot initially.

And ya know what? I WILL be back in again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou