Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What have you LOST?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad's Shotgun.....

1898RemingtonSingleShot.jpg

This 1898 Remington Single Shot shotgun! It ended up as the property of an ex a decade along. This is from a picture taken about 1967. (The flintlock pistol is a plastic toy, in case you're concerned.);)

-dixon cannon

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i had a big stack of vintage knitting and crocheting books that i loaned out... and never got back. wasn't a huge deal then, but now that i knit, i think about this a lot! i think there were some good ones in there.

a couple WWII USO pins, and who-knows-what-else, left at an ex's house.

and more recently, i broke this amazing mid-century serving tray that was almost the same blue-green as my pyrex collection. it's in about 5 pieces now, which i can't bear to throw away :(

Rosie

One Too Many
I bought this GREAT blouse years ago, it was multi colored, sheer-ish and had a tiger's face emblazoned across the front, beautiful, I wore it at least 5 times the first month I bought it. I have NO idea wear it is, it's just gone. :(

One beautiful 70's era beaded earring. I bought a pair, wore them three times, one day came home and had only one earring. This happened about a month ago, still sore over that one. :( :(

A wonderful History of World Art book. Someone BEGGED me to borrow it and though I KNEW I shouldn't have loaned it to him, I did. To this day, he claims he doesn't remember me loaning him the book. The bum. :mad:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Can you still taste, Arch?

I lost a wonderful (but inexpensive) 1940s model Conn 424N clarinet several years ago by taking it Christmas shopping after I'd picked it up at the repair shop. I checked it in at a store parcel check, left the store without reclaiming it, and when I returned the next day it was gone.

Just this past holiday season I was out to dinner with friends wearing my Chicago World's Fair tie bar. For some reason, I removed it after a couple glasses of wine and slipped it into what I thought was a coat pocket. When I got home that night I noticed it wasn't in the pocket. I called the restaurant with a description, even stopped by a few days later to make a drawing of the tie bar and look thru their lost & found box. No sign of it, ever.

Fortunately, I have found a replacement tie bar. It says 1933 instead of 1934 and is enameled black instead of blue, but it'll do nicely. (Besides, this way I have an excuse to buy another sometime. :rolleyes:)
wftiebar.jpg

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Can you still taste, Arch?

I can still taste. I know that the two are linked, and the neurosurgeons explained it to me once upon a time why I can do one and not the other. It is a fairly common side effect of the type of injury I had in the accident.

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
A Columbia Phonograph Company, Talking Machine Record (cylinder), recorded in the 1890s. It was a brown wax master, from the days when the records were recorded one at a time, so each recording were unique. This particular cylinder was a recording of John Philip Sousa , directing his band, playing “Stars and Strips Forever”.
The bottom came off of the cardboard container and the record slid from its sleeve and shattered. I actually shed a tear over that one.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
What an awful story, Daisy...

Daisy Buchanan said:
My late Granpa Marty married very quickly after my Grandmother died. He married a woman (if you can call her that) who was absolutely crazy.
... I hope there is an especially painful place in the netherworld for people such as this! What a shame to have lost so many family treasures.

Edward

Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
I can only hope that one day this person will get what they have coming. She really is a horrible and vile woman. I don't understand how people like this live with themselves. It must be a horrible existence: (

There are times when it seems that there is no such thing as karma, or a man reaping what he sows, or the rule of three.... so many traditions have the same concept in them.... but even when people like that seem to flourish, you never know what is going on in their heads. I lost a few things, nothing of any great importance barring a family antique perfume bottle (which to be fair I did tell her to keep, though the morla thing for her ot do, in retrospect....) to an ex I was briefly engaged to - she pulled the plug for reasons never fully explained and the situation not worth gonig into here, suffice it to say that over time it became clear that she really isn't a nice person. Fast forward several years, and recently she apparently (so I heard, I never cared to look) felt the need to post yet another character assassination of me on a myspace site after we both showed up at the same event. Seems she's way more screwed up than she liked to let on, I guess. People like that though ultimately end up very unhappy and screwed up, IME - they keep repeating patterns of behaviour over and over in relting to other people, and ultimately while they will always find soembody to be around, they'll always be alone on some level. There is justice in the world, even if it's not always apparent.

Baron Kurtz said:
the worst was my NRA pin badge. I can't believe i was dumb enough to lose that. Note to youngsters: the evils of drink!

Ha ha, I never figured you for a big Second Amendment guy! I lost a phone while tiddly, once - though the worst thing I ever lost to drink was my dignity..... :eusa_doh:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When my mother went to Europe in 1937 with her parents, her dad took a lot of wonderful pics. When she died, and her house was cleaned up, a stack of 5x7's and the original negatives were lost. Luckily I still have a good sized collection of the contact prints.
The 1944 Encyclopedia Brotannica that my grandmother won by stumping the [anel on the radio show "Information Please" was left in a wet basement for too long, and several volumes got badly mildewed. I still have the set, but don't know what to do with them. My parents worked on the USMC magazine Leatherneck during WWII (that's where they met) and we had a stack of original magazines while I was growing up. My brother and I read them till they were in tatters. They're gone now, but again, luckily, I still have bound volumes from 1944 and 1945. Still wish I had the original individual mags.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I lost the hat I'm wearing in my avatar somewhere in my many moves since college. Still breaks my heart--that hat fit me like a dream. The body of it was a deep Maxfield Parrish blue and the paler blue felt "leaves" were embroidered to add some texture.

I hope someone found it and gave it a good home.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
One morning last week while puting on my favorite watch (the one on the left) I discovered the glass was missing. I must have bumped into something the night before and it fell off. I'm hoping it can be replaced.:cry:

Wittnauer.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran