Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What have you LOST?

What have you lost? What has slipped through your fingers? Due to oversight, accident, distraction, evacuation? Family feud, drama, divorce, moving, loan? Here are 4 which come to mind. If you have a line on the Desmonds shirt or a doppelganger, let me know ASAP please!

1) A men's smoking shirt or pajama top, silk or rayon, large-xl, Desmond's label. Burgundy color background with large-ish pattern of briar smoking pipes whose smoke rises up into a nude lady - 1 per pipe. Late 40s, early 50s?
2) L.A. Sheriff wool uniform jacket & cap, pre war. Had been my father's. County sheriff needed radiomen, and he was licensed.
3) Atwater-Kent exposed tube radio, 1920's.
4) Grey Stetson "Playboy" model hat.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
A 1907 table top model RCA victrola :-( I sold it to help put my exhusband through his masters program. I should have gotten rid of him earlier and kept the victrola.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
A lock box with a knife, a newspaper, notes, and some very funny photos of someone I know. I think it sank into the carpet like quick sand.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I lost my glasses a few days ago. I was on a zip line in Alaska (over a mile long, 1300 ft. drop) and they just flew off my face into the forest below.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
I've lost lots of things, but the ones I remember the most were 5 issues of Model Railroader magazine with an especially useful series of articles. I left them neatly stacked on a table, and one environmentally conscious visitor did me a "favour" and took them away to be recycled. That tree-hugging nitwit....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Practically my entire childhood pre-1973 (a flooded cellar that year destroyed everything we had packed away)

My grandfather's coin collection (had to be sold after he died to pay bills)

My grandmother's New Home treadle sewing machine (ditto)

My autographed picture of Carl Yastrzemski (stolen by my brother, the rat)

My Zenith Transoceanic portable radio (stolen by my ex, the rat)

My innocence and naivete (stolen by fifteen years working in the media)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My great uncles family home. He built it himself and it was kinda sold out from under the remaining siblings. There was even a big red barn out back.

It was run down, but had an attached green house and a lovely foyer. Its been fixed up some, but I still think it needs to be in the fam. I hope to buy it back one day.

LD

eniksleestack

One of the Regulars
My mother and uncle inherited their grandparents farm in a tiny town in Nebraska, built originally in the 1880s. Unfortunately it sat empty for about a decade, during which the following items were stolen:

1. A gigantic, gorgeous 1930s cathedral radio, that must have been about 4 ft tall -- with luminous green dials -- I have a faint memory hearing broadcasts from South America and Germany, but I'm not even sure if that's possible.
2. Both my mother's and my great grandmother's wedding dresses (from the teens)
3. The house's antique leaded glass windows, pried right out of the doors and and 2nd story.
4. Whole rooms of other antiques we never really got to catalog.

Someone even had a huge illegal party in the barn -- 100s of beer cans strewn everywhere. Later we found out through various people that the thief/ trespasser was probably a county sheriff :eek: -- so no luck pressing charges/ recovering our stuff.

One thing the S.O.B. didn't get was the cast iron bath tub -- b/c it was on the second story of building that was falling down and it weighed about a ton!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
A deck of Celluloid playing cards. Very cool and the only deck of early plastic cards I have ever seen. :( A complete boxed razor with blade sharpener. Some cool 5 shot vintage .32 caliber revolvers.
Now I'm thinking I should never, never throw anything out or leave anything behind when I move again,...:mad:

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My late Granpa Marty married very quickly after my Grandmother died. He married a woman (if you can call her that) who was absolutely crazy. She didn't want my Grampa to have anything to do with my Mom. She did still speak with him, and thankfully he spent the last 3 years of his life with our family in RI, because although it took him many many years to realize this woman's craziness, he divorced her in his 80's.

But, due to this woman, we lost many treasured items including some amazing pieces of art. We managed to get an original Erte statue that my Mom had to have seized with the help of the police department. But, an original Degas ballerina statue is hidden away somewhere by his ex.

Also, my real Grandmother who was from Vienna had an extensive china collection. Before my Grampa and this woman moved to Florida from New York, my family went to their house to pick up some belongings of my Grandmother's that my Grampa had been saving.

My Grampa's wife threw a majority of the china into a large cardboard box, she didn't even try to protect the precious pieces by wrapping them in tissue or bubble wrap. She picked up the box, said here's here's your dead mother's china, reached out as if she was going to hand it to my Mom, then dropped the box on the floor:mad: About half of the pieces in the box were shattered, but we salvaged what we could. My Grampa's wife had the nerve to say "This china is from the 40's, it's probably made from the bones of dead Jews"!!! I couldn't believe she said this. She new it was a sore point for my Mom, being that many of her Mother's family lost their lives during WWII.

This woman, I can't even type out her name it's so infuriating, took many things from my Mom. So many beautiful family heirlooms that she new meant a lot to my Mom. She kept them for their monetary value, which isn't the reason why my Mom wanted them. My Grandmother died very young, when my Mom was just a teen. These items were special items to her, because they were family items, and items that my Grandmother cherished. My Grandfathers wife new they meant a lot to my Mom, and that's why she either destroyed or hid them from my Mom and the rest of the family.

We did manage to salvage an original and signed Klimt. My Mom found the piece rolled up with some other paintings that my Grandfather had in some tubes. We are in the process of getting it appraised and after that the appraisal company will give us the name of a restorer. It's not in terrible condition, it just needs a small fix at the edge.

I wish that there was some way for me to find the lost pieces that this woman has taken from us. I know there are a few items, along with some of my Grandmothers jewelery that was given to her by her parents and Grandparents, that my Mom would truly treasure if she had them.

We do have some of it, but just the thought of it being in the hands of this greedy person, a person with no sentimental attachment to it, makes me cringe.

I can only hope that one day this person will get what they have coming. She really is a horrible and vile woman. I don't understand how people like this live with themselves. It must be a horrible existence: ( I can just be grateful that my Grandfather in the end did divorce her. If he hadn't, we wouldn't have been able to spend the last three years of his life with him. That is gift enough for me, better than any material thing that this crazy woman took from my Mom and our family.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I lived in LA I was in the height of my designer-fashion obsession (aka label whoredom). My favorite place to shop was Barney's New York in Beverly Hills. I bought a $130 tan sheer double layered asymmetrical tee shirt that looked killer on me.

I still wonder where the heck the thing is.

Vile & Evil Women

Daisy Buchanan said:
...but just the thought of it being in the hands of this greedy person, a person with no sentimental attachment to it, makes me cringe.
I can only hope that one day this person will get what they have coming. She really is a horrible and vile woman. I don't understand how people like this live with themselves...
Dear Daisy - how well I have learned such horror. My father hid from me & his colleagues his marriage to a predator from El Salvador (may that place and all such subhumans who hail from there rot) who disappeared him to there before being discovered beating him in his wheelchair in the public market. A Mormon missionary witnessed that and intervened placing him on a plane that day for the U.S.A. His deposit of over twenty thousand dollars was robbed with the help the bank there and left behind for this monster woman who was milking him like a vampire. At least he divorced this evil thing before she could collect his social security. So much was taken besides money & years of his life - silver dollar collections, antique radio equipment. He died this march almost a year after his return. He was a radio engineer and a television pioneer, working the RCA exhibit at the Treasure Island Worlds Fair in 1939 (where he met my mother, another mommy dearest monster herself). You might see my father's picture and hear his voice in a 1995 documentary "The USA vs Tokyo Rose". He was one of two grand jury members who thought she was not guilty, to the dismay of the gov't. prosecutor. Although misidentified in a silhouette as the second man on the left, he is seen second on the right of the grand jury photo. He had not spoken much of his experience save to tell me our gov't. flew over and wined and dined "Jap" army bigwigs who oughta have been in prison themselves, to act as prosecution witnesses, and railroaded her. I did not know of the documentary until the week after his death when I startled to see his name appear on the TV before me!

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
My Grampa's wife threw a majority of the china into a large cardboard box, she didn't even try to protect the precious pieces by wrapping them in tissue or bubble wrap. She picked up the box, said here's here's your dead mother's china, reached out as if she was going to hand it to my Mom, then dropped the box on the floor:mad: About half of the pieces in the box were shattered, but we salvaged what we could. My Grampa's wife had the nerve to say "This china is from the 40's, it's probably made from the bones of dead Jews"!!! I couldn't believe she said this. She knew it was a sore point for my Mom, being that many of her Mother's family lost their lives during WWII.
wow. what a spiteful and evil person. i'm sorry whatever happened to her as a kid, but she has no excuse to be such a mean person like that... heck, i don't like this woman either; and this is the first i've ever heard of her!
Daisy Buchanan said:
I can only hope that one day this person will get what they have coming. She really is a horrible and vile woman. I don't understand how people like this live with themselves. It must be a horrible existence
i would like to think that they are their own worst punishment, but i dunno...

back on topic: i lost the one i had gotten for my 3rd Christmas when my sister and i remodelled the master bath; it got "accidentally thrown out." luckily, my childhood can be re-bought on eBay!
e720_1.JPG

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
81 pounds! :D

My Grandmother's wedding suit. It hung in her closet in the SAME place all these years. She showed it to me several times and I never asked for it. When she was in the hospital dying, I went over to get it. It is gone. :( She had alzheimers' and I don't know if she did something with it or Grandpa threw it out or what. Sniff.
620824587_ee73481084.jpg

LOL.. I had one of these!!
SpitfireXIV said:
luckily, my childhood can be re-bought on eBay!
e720_1.JPG

Daisy, that's a real shame. All of these stories are tear jerkers!
Nikki

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally Posted by ohairas

:rage: Jealouser! (As in, 'Even more jealous'. :eusa_clap

A 30's Navy Blue boatneck sweater that my Dad had in high school. (Have you EVER tried to FIND one of these?)

One of those things that have jointed wooden figures held together by rubber bands (?). My grandparents had one that was a boxing ring with two boxers. When you pushed the bottom of the piece, the boxers would engage in fisticuffs. I coveted this as a child and it disappeared when my grandparents sold their farm. Probably went in a sale. (Have you ever tried to find something you CAN'T EVEN NAME?)

Nashoba

One Too Many
Oh Daisy I feel your pain. We have instance of that in my family. My great aunt refused to execute my great grandmother's will properly and none of us on my grandfather's side got what we were supposed to. Oh well.
Things I've lost
The first christmas gift my husband ever gave to me. It was a tapestry wolf blanket that I adored and took with me everywhere. It went to every powwow until it was stolen out of the dryer at my apt complex :(
The two original treadle machines that my husband's grandfather promised me. He forgot why my name was on them and sold them. Apologized profusely to me when he realized it but still broke my heart. He's made up for it though because all of his late wife's clothing came to me and she kept EVERYTHING! I have the suit she wore the day he came home from the war. And it fits me :D
My sanity...although I suppose it's debatable that I ever had it to begin with :)
The rest of the things that we've lost I chalk up to the ridiculous number of moves that we've done.
The first vintage piece I ever owned. A 50's Black velvet coctail dress.

The worst thing we ever lost in a move was a box labeled Hats & Covers. In it were our Cowboy hats, both my husband's Barracks covers (his white dress blues one AND a green service one) and several of his cammie covers. That cost us several hundred to replace. Barracks covers are not cheap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran