Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I’ve Learned Over The Years About This Hobby.

mihai

A-List Customer
Thanks @B-Man22 for sharing your invaluable experience. I started to feel about the same regarding those points (although I am newer to this hobby - 9 years).
I would only add that for me the drive to gather a few good quality jackets is that as the time passes, due to cultural/economic changes it's harder to find high quality items for a reasonable price. Yes these jackets have a limited audience, are used clothes, but such things will get scarcer and more pricey in the future. It won't get a positive yield but I tend to think(I could be wrong) that depreciation would be less pronounced compared to the general mass-marketed clothing.

Last edited:
This is a good post and I agree with most of the points you've brought up. I could add some more, about how horsehide and cowhide are the same and nobody can really tell the difference or how no matter how many times you acquire that holy Grail you think it's going to be a game-changer, the moment you put it on, you realize it's just a leather jacket and pretty much the same as the last one you sold, which was pretty nice to start with because by this time, you already know what you want to look like and can get there with the cheapest of the cheapos.

But ultimately, I think this is one of the better things to be into because it actually has a direct effect on ones life. Collecting stuff usually doesn't translate in any way to other aspects of our existence, especially social life and nobody really cares about I dunno, our WW1 firearms or records or whatever collection we're piling up on but having a good set of clothes, whether bought out of sheer fandom for a workmanship of a certain era or because you just dig the style, will make you look good. It's impossible to be into leather jackets without developing a sense of style. Heck, just figuring out which size works for you means a LOT. Most people I know aren't even capable of walking out of Zara in a jacket that fits.
So yeah, while we could be collecting stamps or sports cars, I'm grateful I get to enjoy my collection the entire day. This way, if I'm going to a fancy diner or just need to pick up something from the store, my hobby goes with me and that's the best thing about all this.

I still feel great when I wear a leather jacket I like and that's all that matters to me.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@B-Man22 might indeed be time to branch out into civilian and motorcycle jackets, this hobby has enough to keep us all going for even much longer :)
Very true! I came here looking for info on A-2 jackets and for a short while that was my entire focus. Bit by bit though, I begin to branch out into civilian and motorcycle styles and I would say that now that is pretty much entirely where my attention lies.
I have also noticed the forum as a whole seems to have moved in this direction. Five years ago there were many more threads here regarding A-2 fit and who made the most “authentic” repro.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If at first it doesn’t work for you ..... It probably ain’t gonna !
This is an important and sobering lesson, at least throughout my life. I've shopped and wished and dreamed and researched and dreamed and saved for an item, bought it, and then as I've gone to use it, I didn't connect with it at all. It can sometimes be lofty or misguided expectations, but sometimes, it simply turned out to not be me. It's so weird how something can look like it will fit into your life when you look at it in the show room, but then in your closet or garage or pocket, it just doesn't. And when that happens, it collects dust and is a constant reminder of all the time and energy and money wasted.

This is an important and sobering lesson, at least throughout my life. I've shopped and wished and dreamed and researched and dreamed and saved for an item, bought it, and then as I've gone to use it, I didn't connect with it at all. It can sometimes be lofty or misguided expectations, but sometimes, it simply turned out to not be me. It's so weird how something can look like it will fit into your life when you look at it in the show room, but then in your closet or garage or pocket, it just doesn't. And when that happens, it collects dust and is a constant reminder of all the time and energy and money wasted.

That's interesting. I never had such experience with something I really, truly wanted. Was always really happy when I finally acquired it, whatever it may have been and even tho the initial excitement tones down relatively quickly of course, I never felt like it fell short of what I was hoping or imagining it'd be like.
But then again, yeah, I no longer care for stuff I can't carry with me wherever I go so maybe if I had a pricey car just sitting in a garage or a mega rare stamp or something, I'd feel the same I guess.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
You know what's weird... You get a new jacket and love it, can't put it down, keep trying it on and looking in the mirror, handling it and examining it closely, smelling it and assuring yourself how great the leather and workmanship is....then gradually your excitement fades ...you wear it once in a while, it's mostly on the hanger and you hardly think about it anymore for a couple of years.
Then one day ( usually in the fall for me ) you fall in love with it again....and you repeat the whole process. All is rite with the world again !!

Last edited:
You know what's weird... You get a new jacket and love it, can't put it down, keep trying it on and looking in the mirror, handling it and examining it closely, smelling it and assuring yourself how great the leather and workmanship is....then gradually your excitement fades ...you wear it once in a while, it's mostly on the hanger and you hardly think about it anymore for a couple of years.
Then one day ( usually in the fall for me ) you fall in love with it again....and repeat the whole thing. All is right with the world again !!

That's how it goes, yep. But you know what, of all the jackets that I've had, only three had me stop and say "That's a damn beautiful jacket!" each time I'd walk by it, if it was thrown over a chair or something. My first 618 in HH, Aero's trucker and Lost Worlds Speed Demon, the first one (the moment I unboxed the second one, I knew it'll never be the same). SD was a gift that kept on giving, subtly changing each day for the better. Once Schott shed off its nylon bag skin, it became the nicest jacket I owned, to the point that even my friends would say it's a beautiful jacket and the Aero Lee, aside from being constructed noticeably perfectly, is made in Jerky HH so no wonder there as that's one of the most gorgeous leathers I've seen.
The 618 is gone - that's possibly the only jacket I truly regret selling, aside from my first Natal and Aero MC jacket - BUT the 613 HH is here to replace it, trucker is in the wardrobe and the SD is gone.

I have to keep the jackets I love. That's the only way to go about this hobby. Otherwise, things won't get anywhere at all...

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Montior - I must admit this is a very quote-able line here -- I still feel great when I wear a leather jacket I like and that's all that matters to me.

But then there is this reality:

Back around 2007, I walked into a Banana Republic store and saw the Leather Jacket pictued below. I had never seen anything quite like it, and immediately liked it a lot. The leather itself was quite nice, cotton lined, not a bomber jacket, not really Motorcycle, button cuffs, etc. The sleeves were even long enough for me! (rare moment for anything out of a mall) I watched & waited and bought it at 50% off. My buddy who went with me bought the same one at full price a week after we saw them - so 3 months before I purchased mine.

Crazy thing - mine sat on it's hanger - for Years. I rarely if every wore it. My buddy Ben wore his all the time and loved every minuite of it. I found this photo off ebay and actually it's listed for more than I paid for mine. I bought the XL - today I know I should have bought the L. Maybe that's what it was. In any case, it adds to the story here....

BR_01.JPG

mtrlr

One of the Regulars
I think what is important is whether you regret or not. You work hard to earn it and buy what you enjoy (even just enjoy looking at it or just touching it), and if you don't regret, then it's worth it.

I used to collect things too, e.g Chinese tea pots, fountain pens, rare books, CDs, etc, but now have stopped thinking that a "collector's item" could fetch some value in the future. Not many things have "real" value, beyond certain practicality and certain small social circle. But do I enjoy having those things? Yes, immensely, albeit a bit too costly as hobbies.

I've seen people who collect soda cans and spend two thousand bucks for a "rare to find" can. Talk about crazy.

I have stopped being a pack rat and enjoy more what I already have. And I still scan the classified section from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko