Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is My Hat Made Of?

MJL

One of the Regulars
I picked up a hat off ebay this week. It got delivered and now I am wondering what material it is made of. The hat is a vintage hat made in Milan, Italy. It does not look like it was made of straw although it is like a straw hat. It is a woven fiber hat the appears to be from the 50s or 60s. I am guessing this is some type of linen or hemp fiber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sabdhi=&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&fcl=3&frpp=50&fvi=1

What material is this made of? Also is my dating of this about right? It looks like something Kolchak would wear. It is a little big on my head but I like it. Nice and airy.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Rope? Really? It looks like some sort of braided material that has been flattended out and pressed flat. I guess that could be some sort of rope.

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
Biltmore Bob said:
I understand Hemp is what is used to make rope.
true. hemp is also used in "environmentally conscious" clothing (besides hats) including sandals and shirts/pants. A special hemp species can also found in a joint or two… ;)

Bebop

Practically Family
Is it Panapore?

Except for the color, it looks like a Stetson Panapore that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Kind of a thin straw and according to Stetson, not as nice as a panama. Mine is an open road style hat.

MJL

One of the Regulars
You know, I believe it does appear to be the same material in the Stetson hats. I reckon this must be hemp as stated here. It sure does turn heads in SoFla!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic