Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is style?

Pompidou

One Too Many
Style is being yourself. Style is a conscious choice. Style is individually selected. I don't believe anyone can give you style. If someone else says, "Wear this. It'll look good on you," it won't make you stylish. If you say, "I like this," and pick it out yourself because it appeals to you, you'll be stylish. Style is wearing your outfits, not letting them wear you. It's really important that you believe in your choices, because mostly, style is just confidence.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Good words, Pompidou. In addition, I would say that style is usually not a synonym for fashion (although the two terms can collide on occasion). If people see your clothing, hairstyle, and other affectations before they notice you, then it's not style. You wear style; it doesn't wear you.

I've seen many people wear clothing that they've individually selected that certainly doesn't compliment them at all...however..they may think "it most certainly does"!! To me..'style' is a way of dress that is timeless...or withstands and maintains no matter fleeting current fads or fashion. I suppose it leans toward the more conservative approach,in most instances,rather than wild or exaggerated trends. One can be very trendy..but also very much lacking in style.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I've seen many people wear clothing that they've individually selected that certainly doesn't compliment them at all...however..they may think "it most certainly does"!! To me..'style' is a way of dress that is timeless...or withstands and maintains no matter fleeting current fads or fashion. I suppose it leans toward the more conservative approach,in most instances,rather than wild or exaggerated trends. One can be very trendy..but also very much lacking in style.

Where does Johnny Depp fall into the spectrum? People like him, Tim Burton, Lady Gaga, etc? The individualized exceptions to the style rule, or trendy, but totally lacking in style? Some would say they totally lack style. Others would say they totally define it.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think there are two thoughts on what style is. One is a quality that a person brings to their self-presentation that others look at and can say, 'That guy/girl has got style.' The other is the way you present yourself on an everyday basis that sort of defines who you are, regardless of what others think. This can be a combination of the way you dress and the way you act.

For instance, every day I could be wearing a $1000 suit that fits me impeccably, or a Bozo the Clown costume. In the suit, others would think Ive got 'style,' but in the BtC costume no one would think that, although I would think that was my style, since I wore it everyday and believed it expressed who I am.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I think there are two thoughts on what style is. One is a quality that a person brings to their self-presentation that others look at and can say, 'That guy/girl has got style.' The other is the way you present yourself on an everyday basis that sort of defines who you are, regardless of what others think. This can be a combination of the way you dress and the way you act.

For instance, every day I could be wearing a $1000 suit that fits me impeccably, or a Bozo the Clown costume. In the suit, others would think Ive got 'style,' but in the BtC costume no one would think that, although I would think that was my style, since I wore it everyday and believed it expressed who I am.

I think you are on the right track here. Like many terms it is both qauntitative and qualatative.

It quantifies one by the style they chose to wear (like the mentioned clown being part of a group of clowns)

It also qualifies in that it describes the perceived value of something, in this case, your own opinion of your slef image, as well as others.

As for Lady Ga Ga and her ilk, they are individuals....just like everyone else!

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
Why is it you can get two people,similar height,weight,looks,etc,and give them both exactly the same things to wear,one comes out looking great the other looking so-so.Style, I believe,is like charisma,you've either got it or you haven't-ish.I think there is a spectrum,certain people like Cary Grant could basically put on anything and carry it off,others you could give the most expensive clothes and make-over in the world and they'd still look like c**p,but that's the point,if you've got it,you've got it,if not,too bad,there aint a thing you can do about it.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Why is it you can get two people,similar height,weight,looks,etc,and give them both exactly the same things to wear,one comes out looking great the other looking so-so.Style, I believe,is like charisma,you've either got it or you haven't-ish.I think there is a spectrum,certain people like Cary Grant could basically put on anything and carry it off,others you could give the most expensive clothes and make-over in the world and they'd still look like c**p,but that's the point,if you've got it,you've got it,if not,too bad,there aint a thing you can do about it.

Right. This fits in with the phrase, so often used here (as elsewhere) regarding 'pulling something off.' 'Do you think I could pull this off, wearing this particular, or style of hat/suit/etc?' In actuality, it depends on who you are, on how you carry yourself in general. Looks, and more importantly, self-confidence, are key elements.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think to some degree it's your carriage.....and then how comfortable you are in your own skin; wearing clothing.

DesertDan

One Too Many
"Fashion is general, Style is individual. "

"Style is the expression of ones inner self on the outside. "

I think these two phrases sum it up rather nicely.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"Fashion is general, Style is individual. "

"Style is the expression of ones inner self on the outside. "

I think these two phrases sum it up rather nicely.
Aaahhh, well thanks for summing it up; I guess we can just go ahead and .......
threadclosed.gif

I keed, I keed ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy