Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Akubra Fed IV Made Of?

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I looked but couldnt find an answer.

Does anybody know specifically what type of felt the the Akubra Fed IV is Made Of?

Will it hold up in rain?

Sorry if this has been covered.

Thanks,

Dave

Seth Hawkins

One of the Regulars
Rabbit fur, like all Akubra hats.

They are indestructible, and only improve with rain!

They do, indeed, improve! Once I have mine bashed the way I want it, I pull the liner, then use a spray bottle to completely soak the hat with distilled water. I buy my hats one size larger than I need, and this shrinks it to the proper size. When it dries it's much softer. I've had a few that were stubborn and required a second soaking to get shrunk down, and with each soaking the felt seams to get softer, more pliable.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I would only suppose that newer members are not only not familiar with the search function, but also don't know the gist of long time threads that we take for granted. So new threads are posted with subject matter that would easily slide right into existing threads.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Isn't the Fed IV made of rabbit and hare fur? The domesticated rabbit fur gives the softness and the wild hare fur is what makes it tough. Well, that's what I've heard/read.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I would only suppose that newer members are not only not familiar with the search function, but also don't know the gist of long time threads that we take for granted. So new threads are posted with subject matter that would easily slide right into existing threads.

Having varied interests, I frequent quite a few different forums.

I find search functions generaly very frustrating and often difficult to use, and am no newbie to them, just dont' like them.

Edward

Bartender

The search function on Proboards also isn't up to much at all, churns out loads of results that aren't much relevant.

Isn't the Fed IV made of rabbit and hare fur? The domesticated rabbit fur gives the softness and the wild hare fur is what makes it tough. Well, that's what I've heard/read.

My understanding was that the Imperial felt (regular Fed) is rabbit, while the Heritage felt (Fed Deluxe) is the rabbit / hare blend.

Just use a google search for your keywords with "fedora lounge" added. It works well.

Best way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24