Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Name of those "State Trooper" hats?

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
ill.JPG

I've noticed on some states
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/tberry/sphphats.htm

I've noticed some have different felt material, interesting.

ken.JPG

I've always known them as Smokey the bear hats.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
They are also called "Campaign Hats," and also "Montana Peak Hats" (although a real Montana Peak" has a much taller crown). I have two from Stratton, both felt and woven..

Although I haven't seen any posts about Stratton, I recommend them if you want such a hat. They had excellent service, and they were able to make my hats in size 8 1/8, and they FIT right out of the box. Also, their quality is much better than the generic ones sold as scoutmaster or drill seargent hats, as they are made for daily wear by rangers, law enforcement, etc).

Just my 2 cents...

One thing is the style at the time of WWI had a higher crown than the current model. I think you'll see it in the movie "The Wild Bunch" the section from above the brim to where the dimples are is taller. Also the WWI Marine Corp hat had something like 5 or 7 rows of stitching concentric circles around the brim.

I have a Stratton in 7-1/8 that I never wear. It is OD green type like the Drill Sargent style. (Think Full Metal Jacket basic training sargent portrayed by Lee A.)

colorblind

New in Town
smokey

I used to wear one at a checkpoint. They have the unfortunate ability to roll on thier brim for hundreds of yards in the wind without falling..... all the while being chased by the author!

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Stratton Sheriff fedora

My first fedora was a stratton sheriff model that used to be the uniform hat of GA DNR Rangers. A friend gave me an old one, and I reshaped it. I would have never had the nerve to wet and bash a hat I had paid for. But it turned out alright. Now I have a hat that I can wear when I have to be in uniform that looks like it matches even though biologists don't have an official hat.

GA Wildlifer

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
They are "Campaign" hats according books I have from the earlier part of the century. They were also called "camping" hats back then. not strictly used by the military or the Boy Scouts. Earlier versions were a Stetson Boss Of The Plains model with the Montana peak lemon squeezer styling. You see many women wearing them open crowned. from movies I have seen, They used to be sold and issued by the military open crowned before WWII

They were worn by men and women primarily back in the teens and 20's. watch the old silent era films from the US forestry service and you will see them all over campsites... they were just the outdoors hat of the time.

For the military, after WWII you see them flat as a board and only worn by drill instructors. Regulations on how uniforms are worn changed and clean cut and straight as an arrow were and are the current standard.

I wear one when on trips with My Troop. I let mine slouch.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
English vs. U.S. Style

Here is an interesting little tidbit:

There is a strict stylistic/cultural difference between the 'bash' of the English campaign hat and the 'bash' of the one worn in the U.S. In the U.S., the 'pinch' is placed in the front. In Canada, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police wear their hat with the 'bash' in the front.
Mountie_Stetson-Lg.jpg

Sir Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Boy Scouts in England, wore his hat with the bash in the front. But when the Boy Scouts became established in the U.S., they adopted the U.S. Army style, with a pinch in the front. Note that in Vlad's photo of the WWI style, all of the hats had the pinch in the front.

Press ! Press! Pull!

GA Wildlifer said:
My first fedora was a stratton sheriff model that used to be the uniform hat of GA DNR Rangers. A friend gave me an old one, and I reshaped it. I would have never had the nerve to wet and bash a hat I had paid for. But it turned out alright. Now I have a hat that I can wear when I have to be in uniform that looks like it matches even though biologists don't have an official hat. GA Wildlifer
Please post a picture if you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner