Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this forums most popular brand and jacket?

onstar

One of the Regulars
I was a member a few years ago and remebered alot of threads about Aero highwayman / cossack and the flight jackets. Second was Vanson Enfeild and another type of cafe racer. Good Wear was also in the mix. There also seem like alot of people were not a fan of Schott.

Now it seems like Aero just dominates the forums

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
now I think there is no clear favorites or leather go to anymore, unlike long time ago where everything was FQHH and aero, or shinki fever. I can even see nowadays vintage is more popular and people don't really bother about type of leather or certain maker, or which maker do things better, etc. all that was in the past, I think the hyped phase is done and people around here just appreciate things objectively as a whole package, whether the jacket looks and fit cool or not, regardless of maker, leather, or stitch per inch, or weight of the jacket. maybe it is because the members matured and have seen it all or some polarized members walked away to be replaced by another members who are not so brand oriented, I don't know maybe a little bit of all, but I like it where it stands now

3.14nche

One of the Regulars

Edward

Bartender
Aero have always been popular. ELC used to be big news too, but I think they've priced most of us in these parts out now. A lot of lower-price band options that some years ago might have been sneered at are now popular as inevitably prices rise and not all our salaries do. (I know I'm earning, in real terms, 25% less than I did in 2009, as academic salaries here in the UK have risen at a below-inflation rate for the last decade-plus.) Civilian styles in general now clearly far dominate over milspec.

A lot of the changes since 2007 I suspect also come down to a significant change in membership. Back then, Outerwear was predominantly used by forumites who were interested in an overall vintage look and wardrobe outside of 'only' leathers. These days the discussion predominantly comes from a 'quality leather' perspective and often isn't focussed on the contextual wardrobe styles of vintage designs. Fifteen years ago, for instance, I don't recall us ever having a discussion where a jacket had a problem with being "too short" for low-rise jeans, that sort of thing. There's definitely much more 'modern' leather around now that there used to be here. That's the biggest change I've noticed, which inevitably will impact on what's popular. We definitely see more 60s styles, even 70s and later stuff now.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
There was about 6 weeks when 5 star was most popular.
Trends here change. Not as quickly as tic tock fads, but pretty quick.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
As a new member that joined less than a year ago I can give my perspective of what I have seen discussed around here mostly (in terms of leather jacket brands):
- Aero
- Various Japanese brands (RMC, FW, RC, FH, etc..)
- Thedi (I guess that is more of a change, Thedi receives HUGE love here)
- Schott (very very dominant)
- Vanson (still very much unanimously adored)
- 5* for huge value potential if you play your cards right
- Simmons Bilt still very much hated by the majority
- Eastman
- Big emphasis on various vintage pieces, espcially Buco, Brooks, Cal's, Al's..
- Lewis leathers
- Langlitz
- Lost Worlds
- Mister freedom (the campus jacket usually)

Those are the main ones off the top of my head I guess.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
SB "very much hated by the majority"? So who's the "majority"? Seems to me there's only a few rather vocal users who never miss the opportunity to diss the company. Plenty of people happy with their SB jackets.

Last edited:

thekiyote

Familiar Face
It's interesting coming back after being away for a good four-ish+ years and seeing where the opinions of brands have shifted.

Then and now, Aero seems to be fairly well received as a good bang-for-the-buck and intro into nice leather jackets. I've always liked Japanese brands, but I think they've definately gotten much more popular since I left. The hate train for Goodwear was pretty large when I left, since JC's backlog was hitting epically long wait times but discussion around him has settled down a bit. I'm a bit surprised how Himel has fallen out of favor, since I remember them being fairly well liked (did something happen?). Vintage jackets are still popular but I think represented a larger percentage of the discussion back in the day. Other brands (Schott, Vanson, Lost Worlds, etc) seem to be about the same.

I also agree more of the discussion has become fashion based, while back in the day, it seemed to be more pure nerding out over leather. You could have zero fashion sense then but, as long as you were into hats or leather jackets, nobody noticed. More people seemed to have found this from places like Style Forum and r/rawdenim it seems.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@nattevagten
I do tend to fall into the common trap of mistaking the voice of the very vocal minority for the opinion of the majority I guess.

@thekiyote
Aero has recently become slightly less good in terms of back-for-the-buck as they raised their prices (understandably). Making SB even more attractive, especially for people inside UK (coming at ~30-40% cheaper than Aero at the moment). But I would not be surprised if SB raise their prices as well in the near future.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy this thread if you want to know what has recently been discussed in relation to Himel:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/himel-bros-jacket-1st-winter-update.110725/
Definitely left a bad impression about Himel for me.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The hate train for Goodwear was pretty large when I left, since JC's backlog was hitting epically long wait times but discussion around him has settled down a bit.
I guess such a problem solves itself. Personally I never even considered buying a GW because of the (lack of communication on) wait times.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
One thing I can definitely attribute to this forum is my love for Vanson. Never much interest in it before but easily my favourite jacket now. I bought it as a first dip/intro to leather jackets and I'm finding topping it is a much more daunting task than I originally anticipated!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
@nattevagten
I do tend to fall into the common trap of mistaking the voice of the very vocal minority for the opinion of the majority I guess.
I like the way you worded this.

An honest academic confession when speaking for others.
I bet your exam questions are tough.
But your original thesis about SB might not be incorrect.

To the OP….as worded, your thread question can not be answered without bias.
There is no one jacket, one brand favorite.
Popularity rises and falls as often as members come and go and is often reflected by what jackets prominent members are enamored with.
Certain icon members keep it centered toward quality regardless of brand.
B

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
SB "very much hated by the majority"? So who's the "majority"? Seems to me there's only a few rather vocal users who never miss the opportunity to diss the company. Plenty of people happy with their SB jackets.

There's an awful lot of people still wouldn't touch them for all the reasons gone into elsewhere, but a lot of us are just tired of it coming up over again. Either you want to support them, or you don't - I don't think by this point anyone is going to convince anyone else. Ironically, it seems to be the same thing people either love them or hate them for - 'familiar' patterns. Takes all sorts.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
Grab some popcorn and enjoy this thread if you want to know what has recently been discussed in relation to Himel:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/himel-bros-jacket-1st-winter-update.110725/
Definitely left a bad impression about Himel for me.

Ah, yep. I saw that. So, it's funny, but one of the jackets ton312 talked about at Mildblend got me to place an order for Ross Mk 1 from Himel. I can tell you the price is that low because there's only one size left, a very small 38, and it's on clearance and has been sitting there for a couple of years, since it's been there at least two or three times I needed to go pick up a new pair of raw denim jeans, and I only do that about once a year. But dang, is it a good looking jacket, and I came this close to have them special order me goat leather in that color because of it before just going with the HH. (It's also what got me back here on TFL, since it's my first jacket in a while and made me think about this forum again).

But yeah, I only made it four or five pages in before giving up on it, since it had the feel of a typical fight between fanboys and a classic internet pile-on.

It still is crazy seeing a brand go from being able to do no wrong to the incitement of flame wars.

Aero is probably the most consistently popular, but it's more diverse now than it used to be.

I feel like Aero had it's detractors even back in the day. I remember people fighting over which seamstress at Aero was the best, and seeing if they can request specific people because they didn't like other people.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
I guess such a problem solves itself. Personally I never even considered buying a GW because of the (lack of communication on) wait times.

Ah yep, I got one. It's easily my favorite jacket and I'm tempted to get on the wait list again, but it's definitely one of those things where you need to know what you're getting into. I put down my deposit, set a reminder in my calendar to shoot JC an email every six months to see where I'm at an remind him I still exist and accepted that it would be about 2+ years until I got it.

I will say that once he DID contact me about making my jacket, we talked on the phone for like two hours, just nerding out about leather jackets. Really nice guy, but I will say that with him, it's more like dealing with an artist than with a business., and if that's not your cup of tea, it's probably going to be a frustrating experience.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Ah, yep. I saw that. So, it's funny, but one of the jackets ton312 talked about at Mildblend got me to place an order for Ross Mk 1 from Himel. I can tell you the price is that low because there's only one size left, a very small 38, and it's on clearance and has been sitting there for a couple of years, since it's been there at least two or three times I needed to go pick up a new pair of raw denim jeans, and I only do that about once a year. But dang, is it a good looking jacket, and I came this close to have them special order me goat leather in that color because of it before just going with the HH. (It's also what got me back here on TFL, since it's my first jacket in a while and made me think about this forum again).

But yeah, I only made it four or five pages in before giving up on it, since it had the feel of a typical fight between fanboys and a classic internet pile-on.

It still is crazy seeing a brand go from being able to do no wrong to the incitement of flame wars.

I feel like Aero had it's detractors even back in the day. I remember people fighting over which seamstress at Aero was the best, and seeing if they can request specific people because they didn't like other people.
Yeah I know jackets from Julie have always been sought after

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
perhaps covid did something to people in general, that we are probably less petty or obsessive about little things probably we all stepped back a little and seeing the bigger picture, accepting things as they are it is just a leather jacket, probably the immersion was broken. if you still bother to look at those style gurus on yt they are as confused as their followers now, some raw denim brands selling stretch stonewash jeans or distressed jeans, the world is upside down.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
perhaps covid did something to people in general, that we are probably less petty or obsessive about little things probably we all stepped back a little and seeing the bigger picture, accepting things as they are it is just a leather jacket, probably the immersion was broken. if you still bother to look at those style gurus on yt they are as confused as their followers now, some raw denim brands selling stretch stonewash jeans or distressed jeans, the world is upside down.

To be fair, I think the western market follows the Japanese one by a few years. Back in the 2017, it was looser, straight fits to just pre-Covid, I saw a number of Japanese raw denim companies put out some bomb pre-distressed raw denim with elastine in it. It didn’t do well with the western purists, but I think it was successful there.

Now I’m currently wearing a pair of PBJ with a bit of stretch and they are amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner