Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this forums most popular brand and jacket?

morrison2951

Practically Family
My only GW was purchased here on TFL second hand but as once was said on the show "Friends" it's real and it's spectacular! ;)
I guess such a problem solves itself. Personally I never even considered buying a GW because of the (lack of communication on) wait times.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My only GW was purchased here on TFL second hand but as once was said on the show "Friends" it's real and it's spectacular! ;)

Seinfeld, you mean.

As for brands, Aero is the most widely/consistently owned. However, it’s a broader church now. For instance some year ago it would have been de rigueur to hate on Schott, with some exceptions. Not so much anymore. Likewise, Vanson is well loved and pretty much within anyone’s financial reach to their credit.

That said, I would not be surprised if the most owned specific jacket here is the Schott Perfecto. Nearly everyone seems to have one.

Coriu

One Too Many
Aero have always been popular. ELC used to be big news too, but I think they've priced most of us in these parts out now. A lot of lower-price band options that some years ago might have been sneered at are now popular as inevitably prices rise and not all our salaries do. (I know I'm earning, in real terms, 25% less than I did in 2009, as academic salaries here in the UK have risen at a below-inflation rate for the last decade-plus.) Civilian styles in general now clearly far dominate over milspec.

A lot of the changes since 2007 I suspect also come down to a significant change in membership. Back then, Outerwear was predominantly used by forumites who were interested in an overall vintage look and wardrobe outside of 'only' leathers. These days the discussion predominantly comes from a 'quality leather' perspective and often isn't focussed on the contextual wardrobe styles of vintage designs. Fifteen years ago, for instance, I don't recall us ever having a discussion where a jacket had a problem with being "too short" for low-rise jeans, that sort of thing. There's definitely much more 'modern' leather around now that there used to be here. That's the biggest change I've noticed, which inevitably will impact on what's popular. We definitely see more 60s styles, even 70s and later stuff now.
There is something I find ironic. There was a time when leather was a statement of "I don't care what you think." ...the realm of bikers and leathermen. It is/was freeing to operate outside the constraints and expectations of mainstream society. If we want to say that today leather is about about fit and fashion, that's fine. But if we want to revel in the vibe of the past...well, to me it is not liberating if I have to worry about the length of my jacket or a stitch being out of place.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
There is something I find ironic. There was a time when leather was a statement of "I don't care what you think." ...the realm of bikers and leathermen. It is/was freeing to operate outside the constraints and expectations of mainstream society. If we want to say that today leather is about about fit and fashion, that's fine. But if we want to revel in the vibe of the past...well, to me it is not liberating if I have to worry about the length of my jacket or a stitch being out of place.

I think it's more complicated than that. Even counter culture has its own forms and rules as it relates to style. This is why we can immediately identify punk, biker and goth style. If it didn't have those internal rules, that wouldn't be possible. Rather, I think it's more of a statement that I don't care what MAINSTREAM society thinks about this, but that doesn't make counter culture complete fashion anarchy.

That said, a lot of counter cultures will pretend that this doesn't exist and you can wear whatever you want. But try wearing brookstone khakis and a polo to an underground punk rock concert, or the wrong leather vest to a biker bar, and you are at best going to get made fun of, because you aren't conforming to that culture's norms.

On top of that, once counter culture fashions are adopted back into the mainstream, as frequently happens, then that enforces those style guidelines as well, as well as adding its own.

Edward

Bartender

That's another take on it. Can't say I've ever felt penned in or limited by pre-1960 styles, but then I've never sought it out as anything other than clothes I like. It's a signifier of what an outlier Outerwear has become in recent years viz-a-vis the rest of TFL, though, that the notion of dressing 'vintage' is considered in any way unusual.

Coriu

One Too Many
For questions that get asked a lot, it would be nice to have a FAQ subsection, or possibly a more efficient/intuitive means for a newer member to find the information they seek without spending hours wading through old threads. i realize this takes time, and the site is free, so certainly wouldn't expect this of the moderators.

Case in point...I just did a search for 'popular," and the aforementioned thread did not get pulled up. In that sense, I think we should not be surprised if a certain question comes up repeatedly. i don't think it's a bad thing, because each time it does, there might be some new information or views.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
^^^…in general.
Well…everybody’s new here at one point.
To expect new folks to figure it all out before they post anything is like expecting a baby to tell you why they're crying.
It would be great when they first log in to have a big sign that says “Before you start a thread go to Google, ask your question, then type Fedora Lounge” and follow the links to the appropriate thread” but that would be odd for a forum.

So…we tell them that.
Wish i’d have known.
B

Peacoat

Bartender
^^^…in general.
Well…everybody’s new here at one point.
To expect new folks to figure it all out before they post anything is like expecting a baby to tell you why they're crying.
It would be great when they first log in to have a big sign that says “Before you start a thread go to Google, ask your question, then type Fedora Lounge” and follow the links to the appropriate thread” but that would be odd for a forum.

So…we tell them that.
Wish i’d have known.
B
I have been here longer than anyone else in Outerwear, so I have a decent grasp of the history of the section. When I see a question that is covered in another thread, I try and steer the poster in the right direction. Not always successful, though.

A good example is this thread. There is another almost identical thread from a year or so back. By the time I noticed it, and was preparing to merge this thread into the extant thread, this thread had taken on a life of its own with a full page of posts. So, I just let it be.

I have used the search feature many times with mixed results. Perhaps the better way is to do it the way De Hat suggests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner