What is this jacket style called? (made by Ship John)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by phillyforager, Jul 30, 2020.

1. phillyforager

phillyforager One of the Regulars

2. Psant25

Psant25 Practically Family

Wills jacket ...

3. Psant25

I would think you can just work with langlitz and spec one just like it. Did you talk to them?

phillyforager likes this.
  4. phillyforager

There has to be a traditional style name for this sort of 4 front pocket style jacket. I obviously know that Ship John calls it the Wills.... But I was looking for a traditional name so that I can buy it elsewhere.

5. phillyforager

I will be calling them today. Thank you!

6. Psant25

Oh lol sorry. It looks like a chore coat style front and langlitz crescent type back. If langlitz will not check out Johnson Leathers Instagram page. They did a cool chore coat a while back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0oXn6Gldc6/?igshid=q3yb14phzfaf

7. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I would say that chore coat or barn jacket are two names that apply to that style.

jonbuilder and phillyforager like this.
  8. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

And I agree that Johnson Leather would be a good place to look at if you want one in leather rather than the more conventional denim or canvas.

phillyforager likes this.
  9. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yeah, I was going to say it looks like they based this jacket on the Crescent, but did custom design on the pockets.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt to ask, but I'd be surprised if Langlitz would be able to make a copy of the jacket. Given it was a limited edition collaboration, they may have an agreement with Ship John that precludes making the pattern. They will also likely refuse to source the Horween Essex leather for a single order, or charge prohibitively for it.

I recall seeing the pre-order announcement a few years back and had forgotten about it, I wonder how many jackets were eventually produced. Would be cool to see one of them to see how it aged.

Carlos840, phillyforager and El Marro like this.
  10. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

11. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Agree. Chore coat. Dickies, Pointer, Carhartt have been making them for years.

12. Monitor

Monitor

Yep. even Levi's and Lee. Key Imperial, too.

[​IMG]

I don't understand what's with SJ prices all of the sudden? The Langlitz Wills jacket is nice but it's so utilitarian I'd find it difficult to justify spending that much on a jacket literally nobody would even notice being anything special or nice. And I doubt it anyone'd comment "Hey, that's a nice work jacket you got there".

Psant25 likes this.
  13. jglf

jglf Familiar Face

Sometimes guys want nice quality pieces to wear that are low key. I’m not a big fan of drawing attention to myself.

14. Monitor

Monitor

I hear you but you can find much cheaper pieces of same or higher quality which is why I'm not really sure what am I paying so much money for with Ship John. I mean, it's all cool gear but I'm thinking that without their IG, nobody would know about them. Dude really knows how to market his gear, the whole story, mood... I love that stuff too, love their IG, just scrolling through makes me happier.

15. jglf

jglf Familiar Face

I agree that a lot of his products are overpriced, but compared to some of the other made in US or Japan workwear brands, his prices are lower or on par. Also, I don’t think his langlitz jackets or Wesco collabs are unreasonably priced. His IG account definitely contributes to a lot of his success.