Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this Vanson label?

They made some jackets in El Salvador. Been awhile and only for a very short while. I don’t think I’ve seen this label before.

If I am not mistaken, it's a Made in Pakistan (or elsewhere) budget line they had for a short while. These were $200-something tops. Not 100% sure on this.

World Service tag was also reserved for textile stuff they'd make in China.

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
Ah that is a pity. Was trying to figure out what jacket with this label was and could see nothing matching on Vanson's website apart from perhaps the leather shirt which came closest but now being a short production offshore model it makes sense I couldn't ID it. I read somewhere that apparently Vanson stopped the overseas production because, although the initial production cost was much less, it was costing them more to fix up the quality on each jacket than it would have been to simply manufacture each one in the U.S. I might give this one a miss. Really would prefer my Vansons all to be US made.
Thanks for the info there.

Ah that is a pity. Was trying to figure out what jacket with this label was and could see nothing matching on Vanson's website apart from perhaps the leather shirt which came closest but now being a short production offshore model it makes sense I couldn't ID it. I read somewhere that apparently Vanson stopped the overseas production because, although the initial production cost was much less, it was costing them more to fix up the quality on each jacket than it would have been to simply manufacture each one in the U.S. I might give this one a miss. Really would prefer my Vansons all to be US made.
Thanks for the info there.

Good call. I personally would avoid out-sourced Vanson jackets as a plague.

Can't find these threads anymore but back then, there used to be a lot more info on it since Vanson was very popular on other, now long defunct riding forums. People would post photos of jackets that were appalling. Worst ones were from Pakistan but luckily, there are very few of those floating around 'cause they immediately the plug on the whole operation, probably right after the first batch was delivered & they realized how bad it was.

El Salvador Vansons are decent but the issue was that they weren't even any cheaper than the USA made ones and what with Vanson being one of the last makers still producing leathers in the USA, fans were enraged by this. And rightfully so, truth be told.

My Scooter

One of the Regulars
I purchased this used Vanson's Drifter mk2 jacket made in El Salvador a few years back. I only paid $100 for it and it was almost brand new. What I don't like about it is the black "Vanson " patches on the sleeves. However I do like the tapered sleeves it keeps the air out at 60 mph. Also the zippered upper arm and the two body zippers that allow air into the jacket on a warm day here in Florida.
Here are pictures of the jackets label. I have noticed on e-bay where someone has trimmed off the the "Made in El Salvador" label. I have also seen (on the same label) between the American Flags the words "Made in USA"

20220126_105439[1].jpg 20220126_105536[1].jpg

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
I have a US made Vanson Drifter with White Stripes. One of my favourite jackets for sure, besides the Mark I Vanson Cobra. I was looking at the offshore Vanson because it was fully perforated and also happened to be cheap. But at the moment I couldn't justify the expense for a non US Vanson. In fact as I said I'm not really interested in them.
But yeah- the sleeves on the Drifter are great. The whole arms are great. The arm vents excellent for Summer, and you can open it up and pin back the collar in summer too, and open the rear vents. Versatile. The cut is good from when I'm carrying a few extra pounds too. The Cobra is better when I've lost a few.

Attachments

• vanson drifter2.jpg
    vanson drifter2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 158
  • vanson drifter5.jpg
    vanson drifter5.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 176
To clarify my previous statement on avoiding outsourced production Vanson jackets; It has nothing to do with the country of origin - My concern is aimed strictly toward return value of the jacket. Whatever you buy it for, it's doubtful you will get as much back. That is something to take note of, I believe.

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
To clarify my previous statement on avoiding outsourced production Vanson jackets; It has nothing to do with the country of origin - My concern is aimed strictly toward return value of the jacket. Whatever you buy it for, it's doubtful you will get as much back. That is something to take note of, I believe.
In Australia here it is already nearly impossible to get a back what you paid, even if you bought used. There are probably only a handful of us here in Australia who understand what Vanson is. The vast majority here will pay $700 for an Alpinestars jacket which is in my opinion nowhere near as good but wouldn't consider paying $250 for Cobra.

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
Perhaps against my better judgement I actually ended up getting the "strange labelled, non U.S. made Vanson" and comparing it to my two U.S. made Vanson jackets I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised in that it actually compares favourably with them. Of the U.S. made Vansons I own one is in competition weight steerhide (Cobra), the other midweight Firenze(Drifter white stripe). The new jacket (model still unidentified) appears to be a midweight Firenze, but while the Drifter is unperforated, with zippered arm and back vents for ventilation, the new is fully perforated except for the top of the shoulders and middle of back. The new jacket has no wind flap behind the centre zip either which helps with ventilation. As said the quality and construction seem very good, the design itself is excellent and riding it in the warm weather today really was extremely pleasant. Normally my go to summer/hot weather jacket is the Klim Baja "textile" jacket which ventilates very well, however when it comes to ventilation and comfort on the bike it quickly became apparent as I set off today that this offshore made Vanson is substantially superior! It simply is the nicest hot weather jacket I have ever ridden in.

Sharp

New in Town
Sorry to revive an old thread but was hoping the lounge may be able to help me id/date a jacket ive just bought. It is labeled as a Vanson and has a Crown zipper. So far i have not been able to find any other jacket in a similar style. Any info would be much apreciated.

Attachments

• s-l1600-28.jpg
    s-l1600-28.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 77
  • s-l1600-31.jpg
    s-l1600-31.jpg
    594.8 KB · Views: 67
  • s-l1600-30.jpg
    s-l1600-30.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 85
  • s-l1600-29.jpg
    s-l1600-29.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 90
  • s-l1600-20.jpg
    s-l1600-20.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 111

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to revive an old thread but was hoping the lounge may be able to help me id/date a jacket ive just bought. It is labeled as a Vanson and has a Crown zipper. So far i have not been able to find any other jacket in a similar style. Any info would be much apreciated.

I think that's the second label.
If memory serves me right they started with a black font on white label in the late 70's early 80s (Vanson associates), then moved on to your label in the mid/late 80s, then moved on to the label we see now in the 90s.
The exact transition dates are in the Rin Tanaka books i think but i don't have them with me right now to double check.

I had never seen a Vanson with a Crown like that before, it's pretty cool!

morrison2951

Practically Family
That's a sweet vintage Vanson!

Mine has that same apparently second generation label but with talon zipper pulls.

Nice find.

I can only echo what @Carlos840 said; 80's label, the quality picked up at this point. Style itself is a mystery to me but I will speculate it's a custom order PD of some kind.

Sharp

New in Town
I think that's the second label.

If memory serves me right they started with a black font on white label in the late 70's early 80s (Vanson associates), then moved on to your label in the mid/late 80s, then moved on to the label we see now in the 90s.

The exact transition dates are in the Rin Tanaka books i think but i don't have them with me right now to double check.

I had never seen a Vanson with a Crown like that before, it's pretty cool!
I see thanks for clearing that up for me. Whith the price i paid and having never seen and not being able to find anything about this label or model i was beginning to think somebody had just thrown a Vanson label on another jacket to sell it quick lol.

Interesting, so Vanson had a time when their quality wasn't particularly good?

Earliest, white label Vanson jackets were made from a relatively light-weight hide & weren't significantly heavier than, say, Brooks. The designs weren't terribly inspired, too. In general. But the jackets weren't bad by any definition.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Would like to know what you think of your jacket quality wise. I currently dont have another Vanson to compare this one to so i would like another members thoughts on a Vanson from this time

It has been said that these second generation Vanson label jackets were some of the finest made.

So, there's that! :)

Attachments

• DSC02916b~2.jpg
    DSC02916b~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 98

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It has been said that these second generation Vanson label jackets were some of the finest made.

So, there's that! :)

I have two black label Vansons and 14 modern label Vansons and i disagree with that statement.
IMO the patterns and the execution/stitching is better on the more recent ones than it was on the black labels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB