Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with me?

Fonzie

One Too Many
Guys, I think I’m realizing that I am a “collector.”
This isn’t good.
No mate, you’re wrong.
This IS good, you’re a collector that has curated the collection that wants and stopped at 10.
Now time to sit back, admire them, wear them even if it’s a minute in front of the mirror or not for months and be stoked that you can enjoy the collection and the journey it has given you without the need for more purchases.
I would only start selling them out when the thought of not having a particular one of these piece gives you no emotion at all, then you’ll be ready to move on and free yourself from the attachment to it.
As the famous quote goes: “The things you own, end up owning you”, so when you don’t feel anything for a particular object is when you know it has set you free and you can see it for what it is, just an object, and not the emotions that provides you with.

PS: You can send me the green Brooks or Dominator when you’re ready, you know where I live. ;)

No mate, you’re wrong.
This IS good, you’re a collector that has curated the collection that wants and stopped at 10.
Now time to sit back, admire them, wear them even if it’s a minute in front of the mirror or not for months and be stoked that you can enjoy the collection and the journey it has given you without the need for more purchases.
I would only start selling them out when the thought of not having a particular one of these piece gives you no emotion at all, then you’ll be ready to move on and free yourself from the attachment to it.
As the famous quote goes: “The things you own, end up owning you”, so when you don’t feel anything for a particular object is when you know it has set you free and you can see it for what it is, just an object, and not the emotions that provides you with.

PS: You can send me the green Brooks or Dominator when you’re ready, you know where I live. ;)
Only if you send back the Thedi!
Selling it to you started the problem, it wasn’t until later I realized that I was good with the two I had. :p
The Brooks would fit you perfectly!

Mark

Practically Family
I too have a lot of jackets I don't wear regularly, but I still won't part with them. I love my Cooper issued A2, but rarely wear it. Several others too. I wear mostly the loden hunting coat in my avatar, a couple of Nomex jackets, or my Wellensteyn Rescue Jacket if the weather is bad.

Dozens of others never see the outside except on the rare occasion.
Me too, usually put on one of my three barbour's rather than a leather jacket. I find the weather is not often conducive to leather wear. Also i am not allowed to wear leather in the car with the wife, she don't like the smell! Still I would not part with any of them and when I do wear them I feel cool.

mumpy

A-List Customer
If the weather is too cold I go for my N-1 or pea coat. If it is less cold, I go for my sherpa trucker. In all other cases, I wear leather jackets 80% of the time. 20% of the time I wear my IH type 3. This is excluding the warm months.

When I wear leather jackets, I wear them everywhere (office, drinks, etc.). I only have one jacket per type (one moto, one half belt etc.). It bothers me to have too many jackets that don't get any wear.

I also like to go out there and live my life while wearing these pieces of clothing. When I pick up a jacket, it brings back memories. This is why I prefer to have a smaller collection.

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
The only reason why I don't wear a leather jacket when going out of home is because it's too warm, too cold or they just don't fit as comfortable as I would want.

If they aren't comfortable or I don't like the fit I should sell them but I seriously get anxiety when thinking about having to do all the work involved, photos, measurements, dealing with buyers, pricing payments, packaging, shipping,etc. so as a consequence I have a hoarded stock of leather jackets I do not want and do not enjoy.

The ones I like I wear a lot.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
I’ve been a leather jacket addict since 2010, but I haven’t worn one yet this season. I still love seeing all the great jackets you guys find, and I often try mine on and look in the mirror to see if I’m still “cool.”
But- truth be told, when I run out the door I grab my N-1 or my Barbour if it’s raining. If I’m going for a bike ride I put on my puffer or hoodie. I have 10 amazing leather jackets in the closet- a collection I’ve had fun curating, but somehow I just don’t find the occasion to wear them…
What’s up?
There’s only one solution - get rid of the N1, Barbour and puffers etc and focus on your favourite leather jackets. If you’ve enjoyed curating them, may as well wear them?.

The only reason why I don't wear a leather jacket when going out of home is because it's too warm, too cold or they just don't fit as comfortable as I would want.

If they aren't comfortable or I don't like the fit I should sell them but I seriously get anxiety when thinking about having to do all the work involved, photos, measurements, dealing with buyers, pricing payments, packaging, shipping,etc. so as a consequence I have a hoarded stock of leather jackets I do not want and do not enjoy.

The ones I like I wear a lot.
You have some beauties!

There’s only one solution - get rid of the N1, Barbour and puffers etc and focus on your favourite leather jackets. If you’ve enjoyed curating them, may as well wear them?.
This would be easy if my career didn't have me outside all the time. :)

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
This year in Los Angeles, it's been relatively colder. I know some of you live in some extreme weather as far as I'm concerned, lol, but here in LA, sub 50f is cold, and there have been a lot of those days. I remember dusting off shearlings and N1s and other heavy stuff back in early October. So I too haven't been hitting the leather as hard.

I think another part of it is some of my stuff finally started getting to a more broken in stage, so I'm not forcing as much. Another part is I went on a crazy flannel rabbit hole, so I've been wearing those mostly around the house. The shearlings and the N1s have been getting heavy use for the dog walks and early morning kids' school drop offs. The few times I tried to throw in a leather jacket into the rotation, I usually found myself thinking, "damn, it's cold".

Anyway, I'm trying to make use of the heavier stuff while I can because it might be 10 years before LA has a winter like this. I know the leather will get plenty of air time starting in March. Now I just need to figure out when the denim jackets will get their turn lol.

Unfortunately for my situation, my N-1 is a civvy version from the 70s and isn’t super warm. It works perfectly for temps between 45-60F, so basically most of the time I’m out and about. I keep it in the back of my car.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
Leather jackets are extremely cool, but I too find myself wearing a leather jacket much less than my wool pieces or my sherpa lined denim jacket.
I started exploring my lifelong love of jackets as a hobby with a leather jacket but got a vintage wool jacket not long after and soon realized how much easier wool is to wear.
Though not as universally cool, wool can still be pretty cool in it's own right and is generally more practical as well as more comfortable than a stout leather jacket.

My recently acquired Pioneer wear suede trucker solves the comfortability issue while still having that cozy hugging feel of leather plus it's just badass looking, but it still fails some of the practicality aspects and is even more limited by the weather because it's suede.

Wool is comfortable and warm but doesn't block the wind very well, stout full or top grain leather ( haven't tried sheep or goat yet ) does and can be fairly warm but is not as comfortable, suede checks both boxes but isn't good with rain, and denim is a fairly versatile choice if you've got both lined and unlined options.

There are different uses/ situations for different jacket types and materials.

Last edited:
What was the first thing that came to your mind, before all the pros and cons thinking. Go with that. No matter what the decision is, you’ll be just fine.
First thing I thought was “I’ve got a problem. Here I am looking at a rack of gorgeous jackets I don’t wear.” Then I started thinking “How did I get here, and do they make me happy anymore?”

Maybe it’s the rain. We don’t get many gloomy days here.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
First thing I thought was “I’ve got a problem. Here I am looking at a rack of gorgeous jackets I don’t wear.” Then I started thinking “How did I get here, and do they make me happy anymore?”

Maybe it’s the rain. We don’t get many gloomy days here.
The rainy days are tough. Even for us Vancouver people. I hope everyone is ok from the flash floods.
There is no rush, have a drink, watch a movie, enjoy the rest of the weekend, and see where that take you.

Truth is, there are a few that I could move on without delivering a nuclear blow.

If I start drinking, the classifieds will be busy tonight.
LOL! I know that feeling. The only jacket you have to keep is one(s) you can’t replace. That has been my guiding rule. If all other factors are equal, but I can’t replace, it can’t be sold. everything else? No biggie. Find something new to love. Or don’t.

That would narrow it down to the GW. :oops:
CE073C4B-9517-4DE9-8E9B-9BC1763A1189.gif

Fonzie

One Too Many
That would narrow it down to the GW. :oops:
Your GW and your Kehoe would make for a very cool, perfect fitting, versatile and fine tuned minimalist "Enlightened-Collection".
You would have reached "Jacketeering Nirvana" and wouldn't need or want anything else, and you could still enjoy this hobby without the need to add anymore, just enjoying everyone else's journey.
Namaste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari