Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

cmoy

One of the Regulars
Hung up my hat after returning home, saw this and thought I'd contribute.

5cd361ebcde599172915eece43076ce1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NICE!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Point taken my friend. My collection just feels so inadequate when compared to the epic hats displayed. I'll get there, someday.

I think your hats are beautiful my man... and more importantly they look amazing on you.

You know what to get and just how to wear it

To me this place isn't about competition it's about appreciation

Inadequate shminadequate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Point taken my friend. My collection just feels so inadequate when compared to the epic hats displayed. I'll get there, someday.
I'm sure we all drool over the amazing display of hats we see here on the FL, Red. But I don't think that takes away from any hat, let alone your saved beaut. I have a beat up Royal Stetson, and for the average Joe on the street it probably just looks like an old hat. But we know better. It's one of my very favorite of favorites!

Another example, a Vintage Champ. It's old, it's dirty, but otherwise in great shape... and it's another favorite. It was never considered a high-end hat, but I LOVE the old hats, no matter the brand. One could argue about pristine Museum quality, hard to find, high-end hats and brand new customs forever... but the dirt, the asymmetrical bashes, the little imperfections here and there of the old "basic" working man's hat of yesteryear shows history and character in spades. Oh, and style, too!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Freshly steamed and bashed rather sloppily. This hats felt likes to be rather wayward. Anyone use actual blocks to get the shapes they want?
View attachment 59871
I wouldn't change a thing. That's an awesome hat and a perfect crease! It took me hours of hat love research and education to get where I can say that and really mean it. My brain is just wired for symmetry... I can't help it. But the more I learn about hats, the more I love, and the more I see the inherent value and visual "yummy" of a personalized, individualized bash. It makes your hat your own, and - as often stated here - ofttimes the felt will tell you what it wants. I tried so hard to just do a simple center crease on my pimped out, custom, black cherry Gannon (The "Rodolfo")... but it just fell into a diamond crease naturally one morning after I brushed it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure we all drool over the amazing display of hats we see here on the FL, Red. But I don't think that takes away from any hat, let alone your saved beaut. I have a beat up Royal Stetson, and for the average Joe on the street it probably just looks like an old hat. But we know better. It's one of my very favorite of favorites!

Another example, a Vintage Champ. It's old, it's dirty, but otherwise in great shape... and it's another favorite. It was never considered a high-end hat, but I LOVE the old hats, no matter the brand. One could argue about pristine Museum quality, hard to find, high-end hats and brand new customs forever... but the dirt, the asymmetrical bashes, the little imperfections here and there of the old "basic" working man's hat of yesteryear shows history and character in spades. Oh, and style, too!

All absolutely right on
... and even the coveted whippets and stratoliners etc. we're not high end hats.
In their day they were Stetsons mid to low end price offerings for the everyday man in the workforce and for travel.

I personally don't feel worthy of hats such as some of Alan's museum pieces and some that others here own... they are above me.
I admire them like a child to his hero from afar but if I owned it , it would most likely get stained with sweat or ruined at a gig.

I'm just fine with my stash of working mans blues

Last edited:
All absolutely right on
... and even the coveted whippets and stratoliners etc. we're not high end hats.
In their day they were Stetsons mid to low end price offerings for the everyday man in the workforce and for travel.

I personally don't feel worthy of hats such as some of Alan's museum pieces and some that others here own... they are above me.
I admire them like a child to his hero from afar but if I owned it , it would most likely get stained with sweat or ruined at a gig.

I'm just fine with my stash of working mans blues

I do find it interesting that some of these working men's hats like a whippet are now some of the most coveted pieces in collections. What makes an early 50s Stratoliner such a holy grail for us? As a Historian, I can understand the appreciation for the quality of construction of hats during the golden age of mens fashion. I do agree that the hats that Alan sports so often are true museum pieces, but the beauty is he can WEAR and enjoy out in public. Many collectables are never seen, locked away, only appreciated by their owners.

I guess we can all agree that covet, envy, desire, and probably gluttony are all sins that are acceptable among this community. Encouraged, I would submit.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Vtg.Stetson Scoop. The crease started out as a diamond and this is what it evolved to after a dog walk finishing up thru close a close wooded area.

i-jLsMTn3-L.jpg

Vtg. Playboy shaped by hand and tree limbs.

i-xv7K72v-M.jpg

Vtg. Stetson Ave. (green) and vtg. Stetson Beachcomer shaped by hand and worn thru the gentile suburbs, so no limb bashing.

i-Rjqsnj2-M.jpg

i-nxcLctL-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart