Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

I think it looks great.
Excellent, Al! I think it's the first Fed IV I've seen with that bash, and I like it!
Nice. You're making me think I should rework the bash on my Fed IV.
Nicely done! Good work, Zombie.
Nice, Al. I don't own a Fed IV or any dimensional brim hat, outside of a cowboy hat but what you've done with that one could change my mind. Well done.
You killed it! Wouldnt touch a thing. Totally unique looking Fed.
Wow, you're all far too kind! But I do sincerely appreciate and value all of your comments.

wow .. that means a lot my man...
you crease has inspired me
I think I can best explain it this way. I read the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" thread every day. I enjoy seeing all of the hats presented in that thread; some I wouldn't mind owning, some I like but just aren't my style. But every hat you've shared with us is one that I'd happily own and wear (if they were my size, of course). And I really like the Diamond creases that you (and Tommy, and Bamaboots, and Fruno, and...) put into your crowns. But six of my eight hats are Akubras, and between their rather stiff felts and my inexperience your wonderful "fat and casual" version of a Diamond crease has so far eluded me. But your Diamond is my inspiration, and something I aspire to create. Some day, maybe, when the right hat comes along.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I think I can best explain it this way. I read the "What Hat Are You Wearing Today?" thread every day. I enjoy seeing all of the hats presented in that thread; some I wouldn't mind owning, some I like but just aren't my style. But every hat you've shared with us is one that I'd happily own and wear (if they were my size, of course). And I really like the Diamond creases that you (and Tommy, and Bamaboots, and Fruno, and...) put into your crowns. But six of my eight hats are Akubras, and between their rather stiff felts and my inexperience your wonderful "fat and casual" version of a Diamond crease has so far eluded me. But your Diamond is my inspiration, and something I aspire to create. Some day, maybe, when the right hat comes along.

it is so great to read stuff like this ... thanks Al

my diamond inspirations are 40cal, Tommy, Harv, Roger and Rick ... I look to those guys for all things diamond ... my "style" is a complete montage of those guys

I actually really like Meg's playing.
it embodies a child like innocence that is nearly impossible to recapture once it is gone... or "educated" out of someone.
I think her drumming is wonderful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the "bash now and ask questions later" thing, too. Was just trying to think of the most undisciplined drummer I could.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Working on another one. This is a 3X Resistol with a monster 6 1/2 open crown and 4 1/2 brim width. I'm not sure what crease I want to go with yet. I was thinking of John Wayne's hat that he wore in the movie, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance". I got the brim shaped where it needs to be and I definitely have plenty of crown but the crease style is pretty fugly. Don't know. Too much crown for my taste. This is another one I may trade off. I don't think I'll ever wear it much.
Hmmmm.........

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This was my first real hat (i.e., not a cheap stamped-out wool felt), a dark brown Akubra Fed IV that I bought in 2008. Being new to hats at the time I decided to give it a simple Center Dent crease (with side dents), but my head would push the crease up from the inside. I haven't worn it for the last three or four years (at least), so last week I decided to drag it out and see if I could "fix" it and this is what I came up with:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_1_zpsqrm2hamu.jpg

Yep, I finally got one of my hats to take a Diamond Crease. Either I'm getting better at shaping hats, or my dumb luck streak hasn't run out yet; my money's on the latter. Here's the profile:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_2_zpst6u4xpxs.jpg

A Diamond and a bit of a "Tugboat"? Say it ain't so! 4-1/4" at the front, 3" at the rear. Monkeycam:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_3_zpso0hq8u3y.jpg

I had been watching TCM and noticed that many of the "older/well-used" hats had been shaped with the "transition" over the top of the crown relatively tight, so I tried to emulate that look. I do like the "fat" look that many members here achieve with their Diamond creases, but wanted something different for this hat. The side "points" could maybe be a little farther back, but I think this works rather nicely on my regular oval head. And here's a 3/4 "beauty" shot, just because I already had the camera out:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_4_zpsbg9mgpfm.jpg

The brim is still something of a work-in-progress. The Fed IV allegedly has a snap brim, but none of mine have that pronounced "snap" like, say, a Campdraft, so I'd describe it as more of a "flop" brim because of it's relatively shallow flange and lack of binding. I normally like the front of the brim snapped way down, but my tastes are evolving and expanding so I decided to give this one only a slight downward angle (best seen in the profile shot) that somewhat mirrors the shape of the rear of the brim. Also, with the look I was going for--and I have some difficulty believing I'm writing this about a Fed IV--the brim is a little too wide. So I'm thinking about cutting it down to 2-1/4" wide all around, but I'm not going to do that until I'm absolutely certain because that's obviously not something that can be reversed.

As always, comments and constructive criticisms are appreciated!
The hat looks great. Kinda reminds me of the one Charlton Heston wore in "The Greatest Show On Earth". Do you have enough brim to cut it down to 2 5/8 and then reflanging it?

The hat looks great. Kinda reminds me of the one Charlton Heston wore in "The Greatest Show On Earth". Do you have enough brim to cut it down to 2 5/8 and then reflanging it?
Thank you Terry! I've never seen The Greatest Show on Earth, so I Googled some images and it's pretty close.

The Fed IV has a dimensional brim--2-3/4" front and back, but only 2-1/2" on the sides so 2-5/8" would be impossible. As for reflanging, I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that and I have no "hat tools" other than a hat jack.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Terry! I've never seen The Greatest Show on Earth, so I Googled some images and it's pretty close.

The Fed IV has a dimensional brim--2-3/4" front and back, but only 2-1/2" on the sides so 2-5/8" would be impossible. As for reflanging, I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that and I have no "hat tools" other than a hat jack.
You're welcome buddy.

You can cut it down to 2 1/2 and make it look nice but if you can go on the bay and try and get hold of a 2 3/4 brim flange you can still make the dimensional brim look really nice without having to cut it down. It's easy. Hat tools definitely make the difference.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
This was my first real hat (i.e., not a cheap stamped-out wool felt), a dark brown Akubra Fed IV that I bought in 2008. Being new to hats at the time I decided to give it a simple Center Dent crease (with side dents), but my head would push the crease up from the inside. I haven't worn it for the last three or four years (at least), so last week I decided to drag it out and see if I could "fix" it and this is what I came up with:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_1_zpsqrm2hamu.jpg

Yep, I finally got one of my hats to take a Diamond Crease. Either I'm getting better at shaping hats, or my dumb luck streak hasn't run out yet; my money's on the latter. Here's the profile:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_2_zpst6u4xpxs.jpg

A Diamond and a bit of a "Tugboat"? Say it ain't so! 4-1/4" at the front, 3" at the rear. Monkeycam:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_3_zpso0hq8u3y.jpg

I had been watching TCM and noticed that many of the "older/well-used" hats had been shaped with the "transition" over the top of the crown relatively tight, so I tried to emulate that look. I do like the "fat" look that many members here achieve with their Diamond creases, but wanted something different for this hat. The side "points" could maybe be a little farther back, but I think this works rather nicely on my regular oval head. And here's a 3/4 "beauty" shot, just because I already had the camera out:

DB_Fed_IV_Diamond_4_zpsbg9mgpfm.jpg

The brim is still something of a work-in-progress. The Fed IV allegedly has a snap brim, but none of mine have that pronounced "snap" like, say, a Campdraft, so I'd describe it as more of a "flop" brim because of it's relatively shallow flange and lack of binding. I normally like the front of the brim snapped way down, but my tastes are evolving and expanding so I decided to give this one only a slight downward angle (best seen in the profile shot) that somewhat mirrors the shape of the rear of the brim. Also, with the look I was going for--and I have some difficulty believing I'm writing this about a Fed IV--the brim is a little too wide. So I'm thinking about cutting it down to 2-1/4" wide all around, but I'm not going to do that until I'm absolutely certain because that's obviously not something that can be reversed.

As always, comments and constructive criticisms are appreciated!
Very nice sir, and inspirational...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara