Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Killick

One of the Regulars
Is the hat you want to recrease a factory blocked hat or originally an open crown hat?

I only ask because factory creases are commonly more stubborn ...

Either way ... steam it up and open the crown .... a block helps of course but not completely necessary ... if it is a hand crease you can just steam it and massage out the crease with your hand from the inside and let it set open

Then just re crease it to your liking

This thread can be helpful when reaching this step ... run through the entire thread ... some really great creasing going on

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/monster-bash-videos-show-us-how-you-bash.85436/
I hope any of this helps

Thank you Sir absolutely will. I opened the link, (thought it was this thread), and watched your 1st two videos right off the bat. Can't wait to see the others. To answer your question the one I am thinking about, (now going to do!), is a factory, 'neat' diamond crease. I'm more of the Bogey, non symmetrical kinda guy with my hats. I have a hard enough time posting pictures, (2/3 end up sideways grrr), let alone a vid. But I'll post a before and after on this attempt. Thank you again. A new hobby. Boy that's all I need!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Sir absolutely will. I opened the link, (thought it was this thread), and watched your 1st two videos right off the bat. Can't wait to see the others. To answer your question the one I am thinking about, (now going to do!), is a factory, 'neat' diamond crease. I'm more of the Bogey, non symmetrical kinda guy with my hats. I have a hard enough time posting pictures, (2/3 end up sideways grrr), let alone a vid. But I'll post a before and after on this attempt. Thank you again. A new hobby. Boy that's all I need!

Give it a go... it's great fun.
Just look through photos and videos and steal ideas... that's what I do.
If it wasn't for guys like Tommy, Harv, Rick, Roger etc. none of my hats would look the way they do.
...what's that they say about imitation and flattery? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Give it a go... it's great fun.
Just look through photos and videos and steal ideas... that's what I do.
If it wasn't for guys like Tommy, Harv, Rick, Roger etc. none of my hats would look the way they do.
...what's that they say about imitation and flattery? ;)

In hs we got to play with Mel Torme once. He may not have coined the phrase, but said Man, if you're going to copy someone, copy the best... said it had been his way for decades.

I would never have considered a diamond crease were it not for moontheloon. I was all about the enter crease. Now 2 of my hats have versions of the diamond crease that started out differently. Here's the first one:

i-PrXxPQM-L.jpg

i-c9F559r-L.jpg

Gannon Black Cherry!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
In hs we got to play with Mel Torme once. He may not have coined the phrase, but said Man, if you're going to copy someone, copy the best... said it had been his way for decades.

I would never have considered a diamond crease were it not for moontheloon. I was all about the enter crease. Now 2 of my hats have versions of the diamond crease that started out differently. Here's the first one:

i-PrXxPQM-L.jpg

i-c9F559r-L.jpg

Gannon Black Cherry!

Mel was an absolute genius and doesn't get the credit he deserves within the music community... and he was also a bad ass drummer.

I'm flattered sir

Uhu

Familiar Face
I've seen some examples of fedoras in old movies and photos where the front brim is angled sharply down, like Spencer Tracy's in "Libeled Lady." What is the best way to achieve this? Hold the brim in downward position and steam? Hold it in upward position, steam and snap down when dry? Other?

Attachments

• libeled-lady-1936-spencer-tracy-tries-to-hire-william-powell.jpg
    libeled-lady-1936-spencer-tracy-tries-to-hire-william-powell.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 144

RJR

I've seen some examples of fedoras in old movies and photos where the front brim is angled sharply down, like Spencer Tracy's in "Libeled Lady." What is the best way to achieve this? Hold the brim in downward position and steam? Hold it in upward position, steam and snap down when dry? Other?
Like any crease each hat is different;steam and patience should do the job.

Killick

One of the Regulars
art pie after II.JPG
I gave it the old college go and I am like a giddy school girl!. I tried the methods on the hat I had originally thought of doing. Results were good but the height of the crown was not conducive to much change but!! I have another hat from Mr. Fawcett, (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/art-fawcett-vs-hall-of-fame.13023/page-485 ), that I have just never warmed up to. Well not being a patient man I dove right in on changing the crease on it after working on the first. I went from not being fond of the hat to being in love. It's like I bought a brand new hat that I will wear often! So, thank you much ladies and gentlemen especially Moon for starting the bashing video thread. Here are a few before and after shots. The center crease and round top pictures are the original hat. My picture editing leaves a lot to be desired.

art pie.jpg

art pie after.JPG
art pie II.jpg
art pie after I.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 70803 I gave it the old college go and I am like a giddy school girl!. I tried the methods on the hat I had originally thought of doing. Results were good but the height of the crown was not conducive to much change but!! I have another hat from Mr. Fawcett, (http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/art-fawcett-vs-hall-of-fame.13023/page-485 ), that I have just never warmed up to. Well not being a patient man I dove right in on changing the crease on it after working on the first. I went from not being fond of the hat to being in love. It's like I bought a brand new hat that I will wear often! So, thank you much ladies and gentlemen especially Moon for starting the bashing video thread. Here are a few before and after shots. The center crease and round top pictures are the original hat. My picture editing leaves a lot to be desired.

View attachment 70799
View attachment 70800 View attachment 70801 View attachment 70802
Looks good. Did you use some steam to set the crease?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner