Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
B.U.H. said:
Are the pictures above unreasonably big? Would you prefer smaller ones?

Welcome to the Lounge! I for one think they could be smaller to good effect. ;)

(Unless you are posting something with fine print.)

jwalls

Vendor
Welcome

Hope you enjoy the company here! You will find that you post more often than you now think. It becomes addictive. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

B.U.H. said:
...maybe you could please let me know if there is a name for this crease, and what it is:

800-crease01.JPG

Welcome Bernhard. In Western hats, that is a Centerfire crease. See far right side of second row of chart below:

hat_creases.jpg

NukeMeSlowly

One of the Regulars
rlk said:

I am pretty sure the father character, Rocky, from the 1970s tv series The Rockford Files sported a hat with the variant in the top row that is third from the left (just without the center pinch).

Always wondered how that was done.

Zaxxon

New in Town
Bashes / Creases

Hi Fellows,

for whatever reason (prob. too new) the "hat creases" thread seems to be the only one I am not allowed to access.

Since my new Fed IV is due to arrive in the next days I'd like to ask if somebody knows a URL where one can see the different bashes / creases.

Perhaps some names beside the ones I know already make it easier to google...

I've seen until know the raiders bash, the teardrop and a pinched telescope bash which seems to me very much like the teardrop.
I am not sure what exactly the diamond bash is and what other bashes may there be out there.

Many thanks in advance,
Zaxxon

Perhaps some names beside the ones I know already make it easier to google...

Popular ones around here are C-crease, center dent, teardrop, diamond, telescope... some that you have mentioned.
Nowadays there seem to be more information on western creases from customer hatters for the SASS market = Montana Peak, Gus, Tycoon, Cattleman/Alpine, Tom Mix, etc.

Zaxxon

New in Town
Wow Zetwal, thats quite a collection. Is the one left-front the diamond and front-right the teardrop?
Very cool, thank you.
I will check youtube as well.

A nice weekend for everybody,
Zaxxon

Front right is a C-crease = see the definitive V shape of the front going into the C of the rear? The one behind the diamond you pointed out is a teardrop. See how it looks like altogether like a drop of water? Very similar but just enough to be different. IMHO

Daze

New in Town
Seems to me from the pictures that the difference between a Fedora and a Trilby is that the fedora has a larger brim and is worn slightly lower , whereas the trilby is worn high on the head with a brim generally less than 2 inches , Trilby hats are always ( supposedly) worn as a size smaller than usual ( british thing ) to ensure they're worn at the top of the head http://prettygoodthings.blogspot.com/2009/05/hat-glossary-trilby-vs-fedora.html

Frank is wearing it correctly , got the right size
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trilby interesting

http://www.hathistory.org/dress/felt.html of some interest to many

the shape of a trilby whats worn in the film 'Snatch' by Brad Pitt is a Trilby . but

Speaking as an Englishman, there are still codes of dress for the wearing of hats mostly ignored by the 'younglings' a Trilby should 'never ' cover the head in the way a fedora does, it should only be low enough as to not blow off in the wind

Best picture of a really correctly worn Trilby ? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1087202/Thousands-savers-fear-pensions-mis-sold-again.html shame about the subject ,

Arthur Daley was a 'entrepeneur/conman in a top english 1980's TV series, George Cole was brilliant!' check it out if you like retro british comedy/drama

so in short, a small brimmed fedora worn high on the head is most likely a trilby :p

Brad Pitt wore a Trilby in 'Snatch' albeit not a felt one,

but the other equivalent of an 'unshaped ' non 'pinched' trilby is actually a 'pork pie'

http://www.polyvore.com/vintage_1960s_dunn_co_pork/thing?id=15768270

a British thing once again 8)

Last edited:

Daze

New in Town
This should help you visualize many possibilities of form. Enjoy your new hat ...

e0d4c01b.jpg

OKay in this picture we see Trilby and Pork pie hats speaking as a 'limey' it's the small brim size that makes it !

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
OKay in this picture we see Trilby and Pork pie hats speaking as a 'limey' it's the small brim size that makes it !

Actually, I believe those are just plastic crown block examples. The brim is only there to serve as a base, not to show how big or small a brim will be on the actual hat put over the block.

carldelo

One Too Many
Actually, I believe those are just plastic crown block examples. The brim is only there to serve as a base, not to show how big or small a brim will be on the actual hat put over the block.

Yep, M.V. has it right. These crown blocks are just for the crown itself. The brim is formed with a flange, a separate piece.
There are obviously multiples of the shapes in the picture, no doubt for different size crowns.

PS I never really bought that there was a difference between a teardrop and a C-crown, but GTDean has me convinced. I'm a believer, and now a bona fide C-crown fan. Now I know why I prefer my Stetsons to the Stylemaster (I just prefer C-crown over teardrop).

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
It seems that this subject gets touched upon here and there in various threads, but I've noticed that a number of you really have a consistent go-to crease that rarely, if ever, varies.

So what did you take into account when determining your most flattering crease, color, brim treatment, etc.?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Hmmm. I'm not sure I have a preferred crease. My Temples, Manhattan, and straws came with the simple centerdent; the younger Resistol Open Road clone is tall enough that a centerdent seems to suit it, and me. My Feds and my brown fedora from Johnnyphi wound up with something like a diamond or a C-crease; Optimo, without any instruction from me, put a teardrop in my green Churchill, and since I haven't changed it I must like it. It's also the shape I put into my black Christy's Alessandria clone.

But if you're asking how did I settle on whatever creases I do the most, which apparently are the teardrop and diamond, the answer is: the Fedora Lounge. It was reading here back in '08 and '09 that got me wanting a Fed, and everything led from that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points