Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite hat crease?

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had to use a little cold water on my new Royal Deluxe Stetson, it has just a bit too much stiffener for a dry hand bash. I think I got that hand-bashed look, though.

Matt Deckard paid me a very nice compliment when he saw my Akubra Fed and asked if Art Fawcett had done the shape. Nope, did it myself.

My tip would be not to try to get it right on the first go. I refined the shape of my Fed Deluxe over several nights while watching DVDs.

I still haven't tried steam yet, but I might when it gets cooler.

Benny Holiday

Great pics Matt

The diamond crown just looks so right, doesn't it? (I almost want to use the word 'authentic', despite it being an adjective I hate).

Tony, the bash on your Royal Deluxe is great!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Vladimir Berkov said:
I think hats have a lot more personality when they are bashed by hand like Matt has done. Most factory creases are too "perfect" sort of like a clip-on tie.

that makes me feel much better about my own somewhat irregular hand finishes!

yeah...clip on ties....

MattC

A-List Customer
Diamond Creases

Are pretty easy (at least, they've always been easier than C-crowns for me). Take the open crown and give the hat a nice smooth centerdent (I use the side of my hand). Then about 3/4 or a little more toward the back of the hat, put a one finger on each side of the crease, on the top of the crown, and gently push down. There you have it. The further down you take it, the more "rake" from front to back. I usually do this for a c-crown as well, and then start shaping the c-crown out from the diamond.

Great pictures, and very nice creases, Matt.

silvershadow

New in Town
bashing the crown

I was watching "Scarlet Street" last night (Edward G. Robinson, directed by Fritz Lang, 1945) and one of the characters (a vagrant no less) re-bashed his hat. It was great to see it done like that, I don't recall seeing anyone ever bash a hat in a film. It was a surprisingly good film, I purchased a set of twenty film noir DVDs for only $10. Love those bargains.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
post Akubra Fed picture?

Tony in Tarzana said:

Matt Deckard paid me a very nice compliment when he saw my Akubra Fed and asked if Art Fawcett had done the shape. Nope, did it myself.

Tony, can you post a picture of your Akubra Fed bash? Thanks!

Also, can someone please explain to a newbie (me) how to steam a hat? Do you use a tea kettle and steam the outside of the hat?

Thanks for starting this thread Matt.

Garrett

What a great pinch on that one too. Very nice indeed, you have me jealous!

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Aye, I'll ask as well. I was going to vote in the favorite bash poll, but realized I should check here to make sure I had a proper idea about the bashes. And alas, nothing clearly identified as a "C".

rockyj

One of the Regulars
thanks for the visual

Hey the pictures were helpful for us new to the hat. Your right, the diamond is hard to make.Especially with the stingy brim. Thanks again- Rocky

feltfan

It's true that on some hats the diamond can be difficult.
In fact, I'm playing with a Barbisio and a Stetson Stetsonian
at the moment and they aren't yielding easily. But on other
hats I have found them quite simple.

Just mentioning that people shouldn't be intimidated by
the diamond or any other bash. It can go quite easily on
the right hat.

Hondo

One Too Many
Tony in Tarzana said:

My tip would be not to try to get it right on the first go. I refined the shape of my Fed Deluxe over several nights while watching DVDs.

I still haven't tried steam yet, but I might when it gets cooler.

I have an Akubra "The Fed" in Carbon Grey arriving soon, yours looks great a diamond crease, Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner