Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your opinion about buying a used jacket outside the US using Paypal to pay?

Evian

New in Town
Anyone had problems buying outside the US? Problems with sizing? Problems with shipping? Problems returning an item that was damaged? Post your victories as well as any problems buying outside the US.

ace12

New in Town
Anyone had problems buying outside the US? Problems with sizing? Problems with shipping? Problems returning an item that was damaged? Post your victories as well as any problems buying outside the US.

I never have any problems buying from the US, thank god the sellers are very reliable! The tip for buying a jacket that fits me is to be sure that the shoulder fits, then everything will fall into the right place! Though one time I purchased from a different country and out of my expectation, the zip was damaged (it wasn't descripted). So i filed a damage report in paypal and they hold the transaction until the seller solved it! However, just to be fair, always contact the seller first! Good luck!

Last edited:

ampgoesto11

New in Town
OK, if you dig for details and assume some risk.

Some rules I use for purchases outside CONUS: 1) never fall in love with the item being considered. Emotions cloud judgment, 2) always ask for detailed information about sizing, condition, return policies, etc. If my questions are not answered to my liking, with precision, I walk away, 3) If I am willing to take a risk on a less-than-ideal purchase, then I try to consider possible resale value, should things not go as well as planned, 4) Ask about customs, VAT, and any other shipping issues that might keep you from reaching your expectations, and 5) If I get burned, and it happens from time to time, then I try to analyze where I went wrong, not where the seller went wrong. I have read myriad complaints from buyers who feel burned, when in fact they neglected to weigh risk and obtain details. On the other hand, I feel it is my duty to report a seller who, based on my experience, has misrepresented items, commited fraud, or is stupid.

I have learned, also, that reporting the condition of a used jacket, especially a leather one, is somewhat of a subjective, even culturally-bound process. The continuum for descriptions is wide. "Vintage," "as-new," and other such terms can mean different things to different people. It's always nice when you can get detailed photos to see and judge for yourself.

Forrest

Familiar Face
Agree completely with ampgoesto11. When purchasing anything from a private seller, such as on ebay, understand you are taking a risk.
1) The item may not be as pictured or described
2) The item may not fit, despite measurements
3) The seller could be ripping you off
4) International shipping can have unforeseen complications (duties, loss, etc)
5) There is often no return policy

Now, that's not to say don't buy stuff from private sellers. I do it all the time. It's fun and I've gotten some great stuff. I have also been burned. It's part of the process. Sometimes I buy stuff not being sure it will work out, and I'm pleasantly surprised when it does. Other times I'm disappointed. You have to be prepared for the best and the worst and be okay with either. The money you are spending is hopefully, well, spending money. The safest thing to do is put your money in a savings account! Otherwise, spend away, and be prepared to lose it once in a while. Of course there are things you can do to make sure the seller is legit, such as e-mail contact, phone calls, buyer feedback ratings, etc. Good luck!

L'Onset

Familiar Face
For me is the other way round. I live in Spain and I very often buy -mainly but not only- from US sellers. To this day I've only had one issue with a Singapore seller who, after closing the auction said didn't have the item (ray ban tortoise wayfarers) and tried to send a different one (black ones), while he had on an "buy it now" another one like the one I won. (I suppose the winning price was way too low for him, considering the "buy it now" price marked). I opened a claim to the resolution center and Pay Pal sent my money back.
At this moment I'm waiting for a shearling coat from Canada for my wife. It left the country on nov-25 and still no news. I contacted the seller and she has done her best to find out that it still probably on its way by "surface mail". It reminds me to the "galeon de las indias" ...such a long time to the pond ! lol But i'm confident and expect it to arrive after Christmas[huh]
All in all, I completely agree with the advice from ampgoesto11 and Forrest and is what I try to keep in mind when browsing the bay.

jon z

One of the Regulars
I'm based in the UK & I've been a an online buyer for several years now. Mainly my purchases are from the US. I also buy from Japan & Europe at times. My purchases are thro' eBay or the specific sellers online portal. My preferred payment method is by PayPal. That way I'm not entering my debit or credit cards details into numerous data bases. I've yet to have a problem. If you use a credit card to pay via PayPal not only do you have PayPal's resolution system to sort potential problems but you are insured against lost items, items not fit for purchase, etc by your card issuer. This may not be the case with US card issuers but it's worth checking.

I have used eBay/paypal for 11 years. They have been great at protecting buyers. If you use it, you are covered if you are unhappy.
I do look carefully at their feedback and history, as well as the country. Some places I just stay away from.
But I've bought from Hong Kong and UK with no problems.
Just do your due diligence and you should be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran