Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Hh121

Banned
Was going to say, it certainly doesn’t look like a long size...you probably saved me some headache as they’d have been just a bit short for me. I always felt my cordo HB were borderline for me, which I could never figure out as they were the same length spec wise as a dozen others.
the back is 26.5, same as HB, doesn't feel long.

the back is 26.5, same as HB, doesn't feel long.
Wonder what “stock” length actually is? Is there even such a thing if the jacket is built on height/weight? When I last tried to order a Ryder, I wanted the quilted liner and heaviest hide and by the time the response for all the upcharges were laid out l...I already had another Aero order penned. LOL. That’s a beauty though and you certainly did well!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Blue cow space sheriff jacket, just quick photo before i hop on my Cyberian to buy bread
20200919_074945.jpg

Hh121

Banned
Wonder what “stock” length actually is? Is there even such a thing if the jacket is built on height/weight? When I last tried to order a Ryder, I wanted the quilted liner and heaviest hide and by the time the response for all the upcharges were laid out l...I already had another Aero order penned. LOL. That’s a beauty though and you certainly did well!
probably 25.5, the seller is 6 ft same as me but he is all torso. Ryder definitely feels much shorter than Suburban maybe because the collar sits higher. Yeah, if you request custom lining the order becomes custom which require extra. LW jacket has best value on second hand market.

probably 25.5, the seller is 6 ft same as me but he is all torso. Ryder definitely feels much shorter than Suburban maybe because the collar sits higher. Yeah, if you request custom lining the order becomes custom which require extra. LW jacket has best value on second hand market.
Yep. It’s interesting. If I apply LW’s rubric to the Aero I just ordered it would have cost me $5500. I paid $25 for a myriad of both pattern/design/finish changes. Some of which are quite significant (not just quilted nylon vs regular nylon). I suppose that’s why I keep going back to Aero. I would happily buy an LW in the pre-owned market but likely not new. While I agree the resale is better, the value per dollar outlay new is not. The option/upgrade charges quickly erode that.

Hh121

Banned
Yep. It’s interesting. If I apply LW’s rubric to the Aero I just ordered it would have cost me $5500. I paid $25 for a myriad of both pattern/design/finish changes. Some of which are quite significant (not just quilted nylon vs regular nylon). I suppose that’s why I keep going back to Aero. I would happily buy an LW in the pre-owned market but likely not new. While I agree the resale is better, the value per dollar outlay new is not.
I remembered few years back when I saw your heavy HB I instantly contact Aero to make exactly same jacket with August collar and they charged much more than $25 for just use August collar and adding york at back. I think Aero treat different customer with different attitude, I never like them.

I remembered few years back when I saw your heavy HB I instantly contact Aero to make exactly same jacket with August collar and they charged much more than $25 for just use August collar and adding york at back. I think Aero treat different customer with different attitude, I never like them.
I can see them not being able to guarantee the same hide (important to note there is no price change for hide weight) but the mods are clearly stated price changes. My understanding is the charge for alterations to existing patterns is flat rate, per each request (and probably depends on what you are actually changing). That HB of mine you have was the last of its kind in a way. They immediately starting charging for pattern alterations around that time. My beef with LW is that I’m not really changing anything. He has the pattern for the liner and paying to “reserve” a ultra heavy hide is just...paying for something he’s already saying is the base model product.
Edit: I see the Ryder description has changed! 3-4oz is standard. 4oz plus is no longer a standard option, nor is it the base model/ standard offering. That’s interesting. That must be relatively new. 3-4oz...that covers quite a bit of ground as there’s a discernible difference in that ounce.

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I suppose that’s why I keep going back to Aero. I would happily buy an LW in the pre-owned market but likely not new. While I agree the resale is better, the value per dollar outlay new is not. The option/upgrade charges quickly erode that.
I have never handled a LW jacket so I probably shouldn't judge, but personally I don't see why so many TFL members are attracted to their jackets. They seem to use leather with an extremely heavy topcoat. So heavy that it takes away all the character of the hide. It almost makes it look artificial. Yes, you can clearly tell that overall build quality is excellent, much better than Aero's. But I don't see any 'character' in their jackets. Am I missing something?

I have never handled a LW jacket so I probably shouldn't judge, but personally I don't see why so many TFL members are attracted to their jackets. They seem to use leather with an extremely heavy topcoat. So heavy that it takes away all the character of the hide. It almost makes it look artificial. Yes, you can clearly tell that overall build quality is excellent, much better than Aero's. But I don't see any 'character' in their jackets. Am I missing something?

Neither do I anymore. The jackets are (in general) extremely well made and have a feeling of being very tough and hard wearing but the leather is exactly as you describe it. Massive coat of plasticy finish (though they've toned down on that a bit nowadays from what I see and hear, the leather on my last LW jacket felt a bit more natural) that isn't all to appealing at all. The leather breaks in very nicely, will crease fantastically but that's where the aging ends. That's not a negative, though as your jacket is going to look new-ish a lot longer (or forever) and that's good, too. Not all people want their jackets to appear shabby & faded after a few months of wear.
But IMO, LW jackets look better on the photos than IRL. I liked my jacket a lot because it was sturdy, warm and comfortable so that I could wear it all the time but honestly, could've been any company that made it and I wouldn't look at LW's direction twice.

I'd rate LW as the best Branded, only with better machining. And that's a gigantic compliment. You had these few shops in the 90's that were making a massively quality leather jackets and that's where LW would fit right in. They got that vibe too, in just about every way and while I personally like it, enough to drop $2K on their jacket, I wouldn't say they're the best jacket maker around. If a FC is worth 2000 dollars, so is LW. There's no debate there.

Case in point, that 90's Schott A2 I'm selling right now. I will guarantee this with my very existence but that jacket is literally equally well made, with same materials and from a MUCH nicer leather than any by LW that I have handled. It's got the exact same vibe. Hard to explain this, tho...

But, all in all you get some very cool & unique cop and moto styles with LW that nobody else does, uniquely crappy customers service and a deranged owner who treats you like crap. Part of the LW allure is a lottery, not knowing what you'll get. No refunds, no returns - just pure adrenaline. All things considered, it's a fun ride.

Throughout my existence on this forum, Aero treatment of their customers has always seemed as being very consistent to me, at least what was being discussed public but I've never seen them quote people different prices for modifications. The price has always been fixed & the same as stated on their website.

I've always paid the same for any alterations on my jackets and I got some great discounts on a coupla Sale jackets too and of course someone who'd bring in a lot of business will get a discount here and there but I don't think it was deliberate.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
My first jacket i rarely wear, mustard turtleneck i never able to match with any pants before, then orange brown corduroy pants came to the rescue and everything works.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Not all people want their jackets to appear shabby & faded after a few months of wear.
I don't think not having a heavy topcoat means your jacket will look shabby and faded after a few months. I had a couple of aniline leather jackets which didn't look shabby after years of wear. Personally, I really like how vegetable tanned leather ages over time, how the color develops all these different undertones. Downside is that it soaks up water which isn't what you want if you go riding. So I guess it just depends on personal taste and the purpose you have for the jacket.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Bingo. LW jackets are superbly constructed with heavy, water-resistant, heavily coated chrome-tanned leather. Perfect for riders. For casual use they are a screaming overkill, although I certainly understand the attraction.

^^
Bingo. LW jackets are superbly constructed with heavy, water-resistant, heavily coated chrome-tanned leather. Perfect for riders. For casual use they are a screaming overkill, although I certainly understand the attraction.

And I like the creasing and graining the leather develops. Rather quickly in the leather LW has used the past two years or so. The leather will wear like most other jackets, in typical spots especially. It just takes time and effort. Not everything has to happen quickly or artificially. I really like LW leather. The feel of it too. Love handling my LW jackets. @Marc mndt Sometimes I feel like I’m the one missing something lol. Not for everyone, but I guess nothing really is. I do receive compliments on the leather, especially the J23, from non-riders.

Plus, the jackets are heavy, durable, tough, as well made as a jacket could possibly be- all things I value while on a bike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112