What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. King B

King B One of the Regulars

All 6 Irvins. Some vintage some brand new. Different colour sheepskins. Different types of pockets and no pockets at all. Screenshot_20210209-204457_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204457_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204457_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204511_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204523_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204549_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

Hobbes1, Turnip, Bennarion and 24 others like this.
  2. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Looks like the new Ford Bronco. I like it.

Alexlutov likes this.
  3. King B

King B One of the Regulars

All 6 Irvins.

Some vintage, a couple a brand new.

Different colour furs.

Different types of pockets and some without pockets at all. Screenshot_20210209-204457_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204457_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204511_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204457_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204511_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210209-204523_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

4. willyto

willyto One Too Many

You must live in a very cold place!

King B and Carlos840 like this.
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

King B likes this.
  6. yellowfever

yellowfever One of the Regulars

Seconded! The leather trench is perhaps under appreciated here, maybe it’s the dodgy historical links attributed to some of them (sadly encouraged by certain eBay sellers)? But a long leather coat is a great practical piece of winter wear (depending where you live), it will see off showers better than wool coats and with the right lining is properly warm... plus you get some good exercise if you walk around with the inevitable weight of all that leather/lining...

I’ve got two currently, my vintage Elvo dispatch rider coat and a very nice shorter/lighter seal brown horsehide Pegasus trench. And I still miss my old wool lined black leather vanson Luftwaffe in the old completion hide. That was a true beast of a jacket that I wore every winter for 10 years until it went missing/was stolen when I sent it to Aero for a re-line during the dying days of William Lauder’s management (before he got jailed). I (eventually) got some financial recompense from the owner Ken Calder, but the jacket was irreplaceable and I still miss it... (breaking in a vanson Luftwaffe in the old competition weight hide is not for the feint of heart...). Lots of good memories with it and it is still the jacket I got the most compliments for, it drew a lot of (mostly positive) attention so not just the weight/stiff leather that was not for the feint of heart!

7. yellowfever

Now that’s commitment! Not only some very nice jackets there, but some useful material to refute my girlfriends occasional suggestions that I’ve taken my leather jacket obsession too far

King B, powerserge and Benny Holiday like this.
  8. hondurasdave47

hondurasdave47 Practically Family

King B likes this.
  9. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I saw yellow snow once . . . but it had nothing to do with the Sahara or dust! :eek:

King B and ton312 like this.
  10. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

This is an exceptional-looking jacket!

11. mtrlr

mtrlr One of the Regulars

King B likes this.
  12. JCSD

JCSD A-List Customer

Have an Ironheart Type III incoming so we’ll see dollar for dollar how my Gap Type III stacks up.

02C37751-0225-43CA-BAA3-71B5C9AC92E3.jpeg

Turnip, torfjord, willyto and 23 others like this.
  13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Somewhere a Frank Zappa song is playing...

Benny Holiday and ton312 like this.
  14. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

King B likes this.
  15. WildingKarateWolf

WildingKarateWolf New in Town

I think I’ve received a dead stock maybe 50s swedish horsehide jacket, it has crown insignia and is by Skinnarland; it came from a military surplus but he didn’t push any history on me. It just looked a great jacket! And the length was my main reason, my Irvin doesn’t keep my legs warm and the wool lining on this does, factor it with heavy horsehide and it’s very very warm.

I’ll drop some pictures in here incase your interested my man. The Luftwaffe jacket story is very sad but unfortunately I can believe it was lifted.

These run a bit big and only have 3 sizes I think (1,2,3) but it leaves space for layers as intended. Take care!

Attached Files:

Turnip, torfjord, Cornelius and 4 others like this.
  16. ton312

ton312

No you don’t. I’m not even half way through what looks like three weeks sub freezing and many sub zero days. If it’s warmer in your refrigerator than it is outside...the anger takes hold.

torfjord, Mich486, King B and 6 others like this.
  17. ton312

ton312

I’ve got the IH 19oz LOD die tomorrow. I love Bravestar and IH. Once you hit that heavyweight....nothing else even seems wearable.

Alexlutov and JCSD like this.
  18. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

Thanks! It does fit me extremely well I think. I wish the leather was a bit lighter in shade- more like a standard seal brown rather than being this dark espresso brown, but aside from the leather, it's great.

@Carlos840 Either you're just built right, or that pattern is stellar (or both) because the jacket hardly even looks big on you at all.

19. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

Oh boy when you put it that way I guess it really is not for the faint hearted. That's crazy how cold that might be, not to mention the effort to shovel your way out of the snow and the short hours of daylight. Lots of respect to the people who get a real winter.

20. yellowfever

Please do drops some pics, I for one would be interested...

Yeah was gutted to lose that Luftwaffe jacket, waited 6 months on the reline over the summer before I found out from Aero that it was missing and then I spent a freezing cold winter without a winter jacket before I finally got some financial compensation from them. I put that towards the Pegasus trench order which I got in time for the following winter. It is a great jacket too, but I still miss the Vanson.

It was especially galling to lose it in such circumstances after 10 years never letting it out of my sight or putting it in coat rooms for fear it would be stolen...it’s out there somewhere and I do keep an eye out for size 38 second hand Vanson Luftwaffe coats on eBay etc in case it ever gets passed on, probably sold by Lauder for a song to some unsuspecting person... I’d happily buy it back in a heartbeat if I could ever find it again. Ah well sorry for the moan, but it was cathartic! TFL is probably one of the few places were my loss can be appreciated/empathised with!