What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Thanks man! First time I’ve really let it grow so figuring it out as I go. A nice change of pace and my better half has been digging it

King B, powersci, Tom71 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

looks like he likes speed so that's a great start!

JMax likes this.
  3. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

Mister Freedom Campus Stallion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dudewuttheheck

I'm not a professional photographer though. I'm an amateur who cares a lot about gear... so it's a relevant question to me.

Also, your analogy doesn't really work IMO. If I was an aspiring chef, I would ask a lot of questions about what another chef did to make a great meal if I had the opportunity.

My favorite phrase is something along the lines of "How do you know which photographers are the amateurs at an expo? The ones looking at the cameras. The pros are looking at lighting." I'm an amateur and am fine with that.

As @Joshua Holland mentioned, the type of camera used (35mm, apsc, etc) and the lens does matter in terms of the effect/framing of the photo. For example, this is relevant to me because I do not own a 50mm lens and I really like how these photos look.

You also are not aware of the fact that I know the OP and we talk on IG often.

One final important note- if you have to preface a comment with "no rudeness intended" then the comment is rude.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  5. Alexlutov

Alexlutov A-List Customer

aero teamster IMG-20210922-WA0003.jpeg

King B, Edward, 58panheadfan and 27 others like this.
  6. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Ha, yes. Always racing— birds, cars, dogs, me, whatever. A beep beep and he takes off. Keeps me in shape I guess. Scary sometimes because he likes to look at his damn feet when he runs lol.

Jin431 likes this.
  7. BloodEagle

BloodEagle One of the Regulars

My trusty Buco J24L - apologies for the once again dreadful picture quality - one day I will work out how you guys get such good selfies! Screenshot_20210923-133554~2.png

King B, Edward, 58panheadfan and 37 others like this.
  8. ton312

ton312

For a minute there I thought we had Kylo Ren on the forum!

9. BloodEagle

BloodEagle One of the Regulars

Ha - Kylo Ren would have a much better camera setup

10. Imuricecreamman

Imuricecreamman One Too Many

Bad selfies is one of the things that makes this forum so great :)

navetsea, Fonzie, RL204 and 10 others like this.
  11. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Yeah, Knakorn killed it with those two pics, as does @JCSD (who is a professional) with his. One thing I learned from these two fine gentlemen is to use fast primes, keep them open for a nice background blur. So your question was quite valid and Knakorn's answer very informative. PS - I am now shopping for a cheap fast 50mm for my Nikon - I want to up my game!

dudewuttheheck and Jin431 like this.
  12. ton312

ton312

Ok I'm done.
    i-gotta-say-kylo-ren-is-my-favo-star-wars-5570002.png

13. dudewuttheheck

Yeah @Knakorn Piulueangsawat and @JCSD do a great job. I'm always impressed with JCSD's photos. My current set up is a 35 1.4 85 1.4 and 135 1.8 and I thought Knakorn's photos looked different than mine in terms of compression. I love my 135, but there isn't always enough room to get the right shot with it.

Jin431 likes this.
  14. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

File compression or shallower depth of field? If the latter, Knakorn positioned the camera close to himself, which gives super-shallow depth of field. I just got a 1.4 fifty for my Nikon. This forum has a way to pull money out of my pocket in more ways than one, lol.

Jin431 likes this.
  15. dudewuttheheck

No I'm talking about compression of the scene. The further away you are physically from the subject, the flatter the person looks and the more the background is pulled forward.

With a 135mm lens, the person or subject will be more "compressed" and the background will be pulled further forward than if you took the same frame with a 50 or 35mm lens. For example, peoples noses generally look longer and features get more exaggerated with a 50 or 35 than with a 135 or 200mm.

I may be explaining something you already know, but I want to make it clear that I'm not referring to depth of field or file compression.

16. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

kudos to people who are into photography and pls do excuse the iphone photos that I share lol

Break in continues for this Mulholland

IMG_6469.JPG

IMG_6409.JPG

17. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Professional photographers, selfie sticks, tripods, whatever, I still think elevator selfies are the best.

torfjord, Mich486, Marc mndt and 3 others like this.
  18. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

You have mentioned some remorse over having passed on some jackets I came to own, I have the same feeling when I see the Collar on that Sears jacket. maybe I'm wrong, I have yet to get a Hercules jacket with the original collar. I suppose I created a new goal by that statement!

Nice Pile

19. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Thanks. Yes, the collar is original. I’ll have to check, but it’s possible it will fit on my other Sears jackets. I very much like the blonde. I also like the gray collars the department store jackets commonly had.

tmitchell59 and Jin431 like this.
  20. Monitor

Monitor

PER70.

[​IMG]