What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by dan_t, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Merv

Merv A-List Customer

Kapital Century Denim Westerner - No. 5S... this is the craziest denim jacket I've ever owned. IDK, there was something about it's unorthodox fab, yet traditional design, that I was just drawn to! Picked it up at Standard & Strange Oakland. BTW, for you New Yorkers, S&S just announced, they're opening a NYC location. As most of you know, S&S is one of the of the best shops for cool leather and denim jackets, it's a luxury to actually visit their shop for try-ons, before you pull the triggers! Kapital.jpg

2. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 I'll Lock Up

Albert Richard Horsehide

MAH05615.MP4_20211013_131137.203.jpg MAH05615.MP4_20211013_131206.715.jpg MAH05615.MP4_20211013_131323.198.jpg MAH05615.MP4_20211013_131420.193.jpg

marker2037, King B, Jin431 and 25 others like this.
  3. Merv

Merv A-List Customer

Attached Files:

4. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Thanks. That Herc is one of my favorites.

Anther killer bike too. That tank badge is probably my favorite one that HD put out.

That jacket looks cool. Additional pics welcome.

TREEMAN and Merv like this.
  5. jonesy86

jonesy86 I'll Lock Up

I now have an internal debate regarding vintage v repro. I am finally in possession of a couple of vintage jackets I can fit into that are pretty nice and I really like them. They are not custom made to my exact measurements but they emanate a cool vibe that is hard to explain.
    However, I do have to say that owning a vintage Californian and Sportclad have made me appreciate my GW Californian Ventura even more. JC really captured the spirit and design of these old jackets, and even though I got it off his sales page, and it was not made custom, it sure fits nicely in a way the real thing just doesn't.

IMG_1567.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1693.JPG

marker2037, King B, madhu and 29 others like this.
  6. ton312

ton312

Originals always win. A repro can be great, fit better, be a “better” hide…and somehow still lose. They just do… that’s why they are repros. And that’s the struggle.
    That said the GW does look great. Not a knock on it. Just my opinion.

Marc mndt, JMax, Canuck Panda and 2 others like this.
  7. Tom71

Tom71 One Too Many

Mrfrown and navetsea like this.
  8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

thank you, it's 20cm long, and as long as on my naty jacket, but the contrast to black and the full triangle gusset highlight it better I guess

9. Al 916

Al 916 One of the Regulars

Steve Harley Cockney Rebel's version of "Here comes the Sun" runs against this (IMUHO) ....but generally

10. wz1999

wz1999 Familiar Face

Great fit!
    JC is THE MAN!!!

jonesy86 likes this.
  11. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

To add to the heat wave theme, it is 80F around NYC today. Perfect time for a yellow Shields...:)

DSC_1536.JPG

DSC_1537.JPG

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    photo2u, marker2037, King B and 24 others like this.
  12. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I think that is a psychological thing ;-)

Suppose I bring a leather jacket machinist into the present time with a time machine. Give him tools and materials exactly in the quality and texture of that time and let him make a 1:1 copy of the same vintage jacket he made 80 years ago and which has survived the time in brand new condition and is now quasi still new.
    Which one is vintage then and which one is repro? What is the difference?
    And don't forget...the jackets that are new today will be vintage in 50 years. ;-)

So I think it must have something to do with sentimentality. Perhaps the beautiful idea of what the jacket must have experienced everything. Stupid, if this then merely 80 years hung in the closet.

But what do I know, as a vintage philistine. ;-)

Boyo and wz1999 like this.
  13. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think that part of what makes a vintage jacket special is that it's irreplaceable. If I were to lose my windward halfbelt, I know there's 0 chance of finding another one in the same condition in the same size. The fact that I found this one already feels like winning the lottery. If I lost my Field Leathers today, I could just order another one.

Fonzie, AeroFan_07, Yamahana and 5 others like this.
  14. d z

d z New in Town

Ship Leather Jacket of Theseus: is a New Old Stock leather jacket still vintage

15. ton312

ton312

I think there’s more to it than that, but indeed there is definitely an element of sentimentality. I’ll try to put it in practical terms, in pictures.
    Take these two halfbelts. One California sportswear, one Aero. While the Aero is undeniably better built, better fit, etc…it just doesn’t feel even half as cool. Will 75 years of lived life make it so? To be honest, I doubt it.
    3F6A8B48-0456-42A5-8FD0-9F2D44DDFC39.jpeg
    When I turn my attention to a jacket I’ve lusted after, the GW Arcaidia, I think about how that was squashed by this vintage Westbury:
    10592DEE-5B55-4C19-9281-8135A74ED326.jpeg
    These patterns have been copied and reproduced for a reason. There is inescapable derivative quality to repro’s. A repro cannot escape this fate as it’s fundamentally founded upon that principle.
    Don’t get me wrong, I do understand the need for them. I’ve purchased plenty and still have one. But at the end of the day, at least for me, repros just don’t scratch me where I really itch. This is why I abandoned any more 5 Star rebuilds and I'm not ordering anymore Aero. It's not that those companies don't make nice jackets, of course they do. But as Marc pointed out, they are very easy to acquire and replace, and that makes them considerably less special to me.

marker2037, King B, jeo and 16 others like this.
  16. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Your vest looks comfortable and utilitarian in a good way.

I really like my Filson vests but I got them second hand. Prices for new are super high.

This seems like a pretty long fit- was that to your preference or is this their typical build?

I wore the Comet yesterday for some gaming

12227139-9819-4C45-BD46-D0373C2D3EE1.jpeg

King B, navetsea, Vezio and 13 others like this.
  17. wz1999

wz1999 Familiar Face

3535B9E3-EFD7-4FA7-BE8D-F822FDAF564F.jpeg

Original and Repro…

Do I wear my original… No
    Do I wear my GW repro… oh yeah

marker2037, King B, navetsea and 11 others like this.
  18. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

Thanks for your opinions, Marc, Tony.
    Yes, the uniqueness can of course already be an essential point. There is then the collection factor, as there is also with works of art, stamps or old cars.

And your California Sportswear is of course madness.
    But I don't agree with the opinion of Aero. I think if this is someone's only jacket and they wear it day in and day out, it will be similarly vintage in 75 years. And probably just as rare. Lol

I'll sum up the appeal of vintage this way: some sentimentality, uniqueness, hunting instinct, finding something unique, collecting passion, owning and wearing something unique or rare, and adding another chapter to the history of the item myself.

In this sense, good and successful hunt for more treasures.

marker2037, Yamahana, wz1999 and 3 others like this.
  19. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I believe that John is the closest we get to @MrProper’s scenario.

edit- I don’t have one of his jackets, but Dave Sheely might also fit into the catagory.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    wz1999 and Boyo like this.
  20. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

I want to agree with @MrProper on @ton312 Aero in 70 years. It will be as cool as the Cali is now. I also agree with @Marc mndt irreplaceability argument. It gives me a a good feeling knowing that some of my jackets are rare and old...so will be that Aero in 70 years. :) Can you believe that this yellow thing higher on this page is 50 years old? Isn't it cool?

MrProper and Marc mndt like this.