Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Great fit on that jacket @Tom71

60s cal
DSC00889.jpg

DSC00848.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
^ those vintage jackets you wear lately fit so much better length wise and tapered much nicer than your previous japanese highend repros, and the leather character after genuine wear over the decades certainly doesn't lack behind either.
Yup you are absolutely right! That is partly why I am all in on vintage jackets now and mostly done with repros. I do think my Freewheelers Bodie fits in pretty well with the actual vintage jackets especially compared to other repro jackets. That said, aside from an A2, I'm going to mostly stick to buying vintage from now on. I'm converted.

zebedee

One Too Many
I'm a 44 year-old teacher and I wear leather jackets when the weather allows. I think people should wear what they want to as long as the person not in favour isn't a boss or a spouse/significant other. Asia seems to be a bit different as leather jackets aren't viewed in the same 'niched' way that they are in some Western countries. As I often wear a suit to work (because I really like a well-tailored suit and, if worn near the end of the week, a good suit demoralises the already-tired around me [tee hee] ), nobody is going to care much if I wear a leather jacket once or twice a week in the cooler months for the commute in. If it's work, variety is important if you're trying to avoid criticism in some cases. If I wear business-casual and then a suit and then business casual with a Plainsman or a Maxwell, no-one passes comment.

To me, the only really noticeable leather jackets are ones that look too new as they look somehow awkward or if someone wears one every day, day in, day out, to the office. I also think that quality/assumed price has something to do with it, and probably how long a person wears certain clothes. Compared to what some of our female staff get away with wearing (or not wearing) in the summer, the least of my boss' worries is me :)

That jacket is cool and a great fit. Wear the hell out of it. I'm a 50 year old teacher and still wear leather jackets. I like them and feel good in them. Too old to worry about what others think, bar the wife.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Jackets, pants, boots - that’s all great. Perfect combo!
thanks
Agreed. This fit is really good.

@navetsea you can tell you've really broken in the jacket and used the pockets. Looks fantastic. The back will catch up soon enough.
thanks I try using the handwarmers often while I'm not normally walking with my hands in the pocket here since my elbow would be flaring out and might catch on mopeds or other traffic here, since my poor city has little to none sidewalk here. so I have to remember keeping my elbow close to my side.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Thanks much, Jake! A serious compliment from somebody who nails it every time (and is much less forgiving when it comes to size and fit than myself).
I've had too many jackets at this point to be forgiving on fit. I've made made too many mistakes. Plus, a great fit is a great fit no matter how forgiving someone generally is with fit.

Scavenger

New in Town
Don’t really own anything that special jacket wise, and especially not leather jacket wise (haven’t really worn leather jackets for 10-15 years) but I recently rediscovered this old heavy metal jacket. I bought this about 25 years ago (and it wasnt new then) when I was 15-16 and wore it every day for I don’t know how many years. Don’t know the maker, don’t even know what kind of leather it is made of. Anyways I think I look pretty cool/good in it and that it looks fairly good on me, but I am a 40+ year old teacher so of this looks like a midlife crisis please tell me. ;)
That jacket looks a perfect fit. Any idea what brand it is?

Reactions: NCF

NCF

New in Town
That jacket looks a perfect fit. Any idea what brand it is?
Thanks! No, not a clue. The only tag in it just states that it’s made from leather (but not which kind), in Pakistan.

I'm a 44 year-old teacher and I wear leather jackets when the weather allows. I think people should wear what they want to as long as the person not in favour isn't a boss or a spouse/significant other. Asia seems to be a bit different as leather jackets aren't viewed in the same 'niched' way that they are in some Western countries. As I often wear a suit to work (because I really like a well-tailored suit and, if worn near the end of the week, a good suit demoralises the already-tired around me [tee hee] ), nobody is going to care much if I wear a leather jacket once or twice a week in the cooler months for the commute in. If it's work, variety is important if you're trying to avoid criticism in some cases. If I wear business-casual and then a suit and then business casual with a Plainsman or a Maxwell, no-one passes comment.

To me, the only really noticeable leather jackets are ones that look too new as they look somehow awkward or if someone wears one every day. I also think that quality/assumed price has something to do with it, and probably how long a person wears certain clothes. Compared to what some of our female staff get away with wearing (or not wearing) in the summer, the least of my boss' worries is me :)

I don’t really pay that much attention to what others might think of the approriateness of my attire, but I am interested in that it looks good and that I understand why it does that. But I am also lucky in that I don’t have to care. The significant other kinda shakes her head from time to time, my workplace is quite relaxed (there isn’t a pronounced dress code), and the teens I work with… well, they are teenagers and they are going to think that I look like an idiot anyway.

EDIT: plus I have a couple of ’jobstopper’-tattoos so whatever jacket I wear is probably the smallest problem a future boss would have with my apperance.

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I'm going to be 45 in few months, but I don't see anybody look at me weirdly while I wear my jackets, I got some positive remarks so I don't believe those style/ fashion gurus that say otherwise.
That may also be because nobody in their right mind would think you were anywhere near 45 years old...

Although I agree that the whole age thing with leather jackets is stupid. If your whole outfit is cohesive and everything fits well, you'll look great no matter the age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael