Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Thanks Ton. I'm still trying to figure out the what and when it is part myself.

Glad to hear you like it Mon. It is pretty cool and is softening up nicely now. The fit doesn't seem too bad, if a bit large in the hip area and also suffers from my perennial problem of over square shoulders on my part causing a wrinkle below the collar and the collar riding too high and loose. Oh well.

Thanks all,
Michael
It reminds me of this jacket on eBay. Thurlow. I dunno. The cut and hide seem pretty akin to each other, despite some detail differences.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/173012663563

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
That's a damn nice jacket. Well done! It looks pretty well taken care of (even if it needs conditioning). And someone invested in it with that newer lining. Wish I could identify a maker for you.

I also wish I could find one like that at the thrifts. The racks in my area are filled with mall-brand junk.
Thanks Gamma68. It has a few mars, but is in generally good condition. Judging by the amount of dust that was in the seams I would say it's been many years since it was worn. The bottom bit of the zipper where you insert the puller side has Talon written down the center rib. According to Dinerman's treatise that was a feature of the late 1940s. Not sure it could be that old.
DSCN7025 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

This one was at a vintage consignment store. Not as cheap as a thrift, but less dross.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
My dad had the pants too, just don't know what the heck happened to them. But if they were her, not something I think I would wear walking around NYC or Montclair NJ in, but would be about the best ting to wear while walking in the woods, come wintertime.
Yeah, not exactly city wear perhaps, though I have worn them individually and as the full suit in my smallish city a few times. Due to the abundance, in the woods around here, of a wide variety of burrs with incredible clinging power, I now mostly wear waxed cotton for those outings. I keep my rooms very cool in the winter and I often wear the heavy wool hunting clothes while sitting around the house. Very comfortable.

Michael

bobm

A-List Customer
Yeah, not exactly city wear perhaps, though I have worn them individually and as the full suit in my smallish city a few times. Due to the abundance, in the woods around here, of a wide variety of burrs with incredible clinging power, I now mostly wear waxed cotton for those outings. I keep my rooms very cool in the winter and I often wear the heavy wool hunting clothes while sitting around the house. Very comfortable.

Michael

I can see where those wool pants would pick up burrs. Not the Filson olied tin cloth pants though, I'm guessing you are referring to?
Are those wool Woolrich pants lined with cotton? Otherwise, unless you are wearing long johns underneath, it has to be pretty itchy?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I can see where those wool pants would pick up burrs. Not the Filson olied tin cloth pants though, I'm guessing you are referring to?
Are those wool Woolrich pants lined with cotton? Otherwise, unless you are wearing long johns underneath, it has to be pretty itchy?
No they aren't lined. I do wear long johns most of the time in the winter. Although I keep my rooms cold, I'm not altogether that fond of being chilled myself. So I tend to dress quite warmly indoors and out.

Micahel

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Freewheelers Brodovitch

Freewheelers Brodovitch Jacket 91.jpg

BobJ

Practically Family
Thank you, Bob.
Sure, I can bend my arms. Both 59'er and Langlitz flight jacket have very pliable leather. (Smooth Cowhide)
I have posted my Aero 59'er HWM here in the lounge when I first got it.
This is the first time I tried wearing a leather over a leather and it's not bad at all. & A thin layer of air between two jackets keeps my body quite warm.

View attachment 96162

About the Noth Korean Nuclear crisis, it depends on how much information you have.
I believe it is a calm before the storm and others don't really seem to care much.
To understand the status quo and predict what's about to happen next, it is crucial that you understand the complicated dynamics behind the curtain that involves US, China, Japan, North Korea, Russia and South Korea.

To simply put :
China(leader), North Korea, Russia : Team Red
South Korea : ignorable but very close to Team Red (don't really play many roles)
US(leader), Japan : Team freedom

even simpler :
US v.s. China

I honestly believe the situation is dismal and the current leadership of South Korea isn't helping.
There have been many accusations that president Moon of the South Korea is an extreme liberal who advocates North Korea even at the cost of national interest.
US-South Korea relationship is worse than ever and the fact that South Korea is going far-left (in every socioeconomic aspect) is constantly pissing off Washington.
This can be clearly seen in the recent decision to re-negotiate the US-South Korea FTA(free trade agreement).
Some even joke that current cabinet is in cahoots with China-NK ally.
I sincerely hope they are wrong...

I wish that President Trump does a preemptive strike on the North Korea. It seems that it's the only way that can end the lunacy of Kim dynasty that lasted 3 generations once and for all.
I sincerely hope my fellow Korean people will understand that the freedom is not free and sometimes we have to shed blood to keep what we cherish.

Thanks for reading my overly long comment.

HM.

Hey high-maintenance... Thank you for this thoughtful and insightful answer to my question. It is exactly the front-line point of view that I was looking for, and I thoroughly appreciate it.

I'm sorry that I lured you out onto the thin ice regarding political posts, and sorry that you got a bit dumped on for answering my question.

Kind regards, Bob

high-maintenance

One of the Regulars
Hey high-maintenance... Thank you for this thoughtful and insightful answer to my question. It is exactly the front-line point of view that I was looking for, and I thoroughly appreciate it.

I'm sorry that I lured you out onto the thin ice regarding political posts, and sorry that you got a bit dumped on for answering my question.

Kind regards, Bob

No harm was done =)

Have a nice day!!

Cheers

Sheepdog149

Practically Family

thor

Call Me a Cab
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

I picked up one of these newer Navy-issue flame resistant deck jackets on the 'Bay for only $30 and it's really a great work jacket! Warm, comfortable and functional, plus it has lots of pockets to store your gear. If you find one in your size, I highly recommend you grab one as a perfect low-cost chore coat/work jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner