Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Logician

One of the Regulars
LW HH TEST_Bk.jpg
Congrats! The jacket needs another review, how do you compare the quality of hide and construction compare to your brown one or any previous LW jacket? How heavy is this one?
I ordered the LW BK Test in July 2017 and received it last September. I have several LW jackets, all FQHH: 3 Suburbans, a green one (40R) and a brown one (42R) with a wool lining, both of which I bought from a friend in pristine conditions, and a black one 42R which I bought new from LW.

Now I ordered the full-bore BK Test with nickel hardware. The quality is very good but I have a few minor issues. First, the lining is dark brown, even though I specifically asked for a black one. Second, I asked for a Talon as the main zipper, but Stuart put a C&C (Crown) instead (btw I have no idea about the quality of that zipper relative to a Talon). Third, the color of the thread seems to be somewhat greyish and not black. Yet after a while, I got used to it and kind of like it now. Fourth, I found that the leather is not as thick if I compare it with the BK Suburban I bought new late 2012 (but never wear), or with any of my other Suburbans for that matter. It is still an armor, but not as thick. I also find that the leather shows more character, is more grainy and textured than my other LW jackets, although it is brand new. All that being said, I am quite satisfied with the jacket.

I am still waiting for my full-bore Brown Test 42R with brass hardware that I ordered last January. After I asked for an update, Stuart emailed me this week to let me know that it would be shipped next Wednesday. Thus, hopefully, I should have it in about 3 weeks or so.

PS I removed my previous post because the pictures were not very good. I really need to get myself a nice digital camera. My Dell XPS laptop has a webcam located at the bottom left side of the screen, which is kind of awkward and explains the bad angle pictures. My apologies to HoosierDaddy.

Last edited:

Thuggee

Practically Family
Oh man, your killing me!

With no word from John Chapman and the imminent 10% GST slog coming our way July 1st I’m really considering bailing from the GW queue and going for an ELMC Cali in Walnut instead.....am I crazy?

It’s definitely a beautiful well made jacket, if I had to only have 1 jacket it could easily be this one without hesitation, probably why I also bought a 2nd one in black , I don’t think I would have your patience waiting in a 2-3 year plus queue for a jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh man, your killing me!

With no word from John Chapman and the imminent 10% GST slog coming our way July 1st I’m really considering bailing from the GW queue and going for an ELMC Cali in Walnut instead.....am I crazy?
That does sound a little crazy. Why don’t you keep your place in the GW queue and buy the ELMC jacket as well, that’s what a sane man would do!

Hh121

Banned
View attachment 122536
I ordered the LW BK Test in July 2017 and received it last September. I have several LW jackets, all FQHH: 3 Suburbans, a green one (40R) and a brown one (42R) with a wool lining, both of which I bought from a friend in pristine conditions, and a black one 42R which I bought new from LW.

Now I ordered the full-bore BK Test with nickel hardware. The quality is very good but I have a few minor issues. First, the lining is dark brown, even though I specifically asked for a black one. Second, I asked for a Talon as the main zipper, but Stuart put a C&C (Crown) instead (btw I have no idea about the quality of that zipper relative to a Talon). Third, the color of the thread seems to be somewhat greyish and not black. Yet after a while, I got used to it and kind of like it now. Fourth, I found that the leather is not as thick if I compare it with the BK Suburban I bought new late 2012 (but never wear), or with any of my other Suburbans for that matter. It is still an armor, but not as thick. I also find that the leather shows more character, is more grainy and textured than my other LW jackets, although it is brand new. All that being said, I am quite satisfied with the jacket.

I am still waiting for my full-bore Brown Test 42R with brass hardware that I ordered last January. After I asked for an update, Stuart emailed me this week to let me know that it would be shipped next Wednesday. Thus, hopefully, I should have it in about 3 weeks or so.

PS I removed my previous post because the pictures were not very good. I really need to get myself a nice digital camera. My Dell XPS laptop has a webcam located at the bottom left side of the screen, which is kind of awkward and explains the bad angle pictures. My apologies to HoosierDaddy.

Thank you! It looks very nice! Have you weight the jacket?

Thuggee

Practically Family
Oh man, your killing me!

Oh man I’ve just gone and checked the new GST rules coming into effect next month due to your post I hadn’t realised we will get hit with a 10% GST on everything now how they police that is anyone’s guess, the likes of DHL and Fedex will have a field day with this means they can add all sorts of admin collection fees to these new tax rules, in theory I buy a $10 item from overseas DHL hit me up with a $150 admin or whatever their bullshit fee adds up to if I interpret the new rules correctly.

Last edited:

dan_t

Practically Family
Oh man, your killing me!

I fear you may already be too late.
Unless a jacket was shipped essentially today, it may be delayed in transit & arrive after the 1st of July. I certainly have had items take more than 2 weeks to get here from the USA.
Yes, there will be a 10% GST charge, but what about 'other' duties?
I know that when I've been hit before on products greater that AUD$1,000, the additional charges were much greater than 10%. They added GST + 'duties' that totaled closer to +20% on one of my Aero's.
And these fees weren't dubious DHL admin fees either.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Unless a jacket was shipped essentially today, it may be delayed in transit & arrive after the 1st of July. I certainly have had items take more than 2 weeks to get here from the USA.
I know that when I've been hit before on products greater that AUD$1,000, the additional charges were much greater than 10%. They added GST + 'duties' that totaled closer to +20% on one of my Aero's.

It’s tough to ship as a non-commercial seller to Australia, as Dan can attest to. $150 USD (box included) from California to Australia uninsured. Okay, that’s a fair bit, package weight may sink the boat, but I get it. However, guess what the UPS store quoted me for the upgraded shipping with insurance? $600 USD. Unbelievable for a 7lb box.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Freewheelers Brakeman (size 44).
Bought used so not sure whether this Auburn Brown (more likely) or a very well patinated Canyon Brown.

Attachments

• 233B8DDB-6D79-45BE-B617-068D628E2F75.jpeg
    233B8DDB-6D79-45BE-B617-068D628E2F75.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 4CA0872C-E2E3-426E-ABD9-0BB3347AA44A.jpeg
    4CA0872C-E2E3-426E-ABD9-0BB3347AA44A.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 0944E801-CFB6-4BD5-AA96-9EB08CFD7148.jpeg
    0944E801-CFB6-4BD5-AA96-9EB08CFD7148.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 8A1B283D-0407-4ABF-9A49-DB96FA6E4E7E.jpeg
    8A1B283D-0407-4ABF-9A49-DB96FA6E4E7E.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 185

Thuggee

Practically Family
It’s tough to ship as a non-commercial seller to Australia, as Dan can attest to. $150 USD (box included) from California to Australia uninsured. Okay, that’s a fair bit, package weight may sink the boat, but I get it. However, guess what the UPS store quoted me for the upgraded shipping with insurance? $600 USD. Unbelievable for a 7lb box.

Surely that’s not right? A 7lb box from Australia to the US EMS express insured is around US$100, I was under the assumption going the other way it was around the same cost wise.

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Nick, according to my previous experience - UPS is the worst option for shipping overseas.
USPS ans EMS Post both are the best! Faster, less expensive and much more convenient.
Actually, almost every national postal service in its home country is way too much better for shipping overseas than UPS (i.e. USPS in US, Royal Mail in UK, Deutsche Post in Germany etc.)

Fonzie

One Too Many
That just made my waiting a whole lot more anxious. My new Aero J-100 should be posted to me very soon, arriving either last week of June or early July. :eek:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Nick, according to my previous experience - UPS is the worst option for shipping overseas.
USPS ans EMS Post both are the best! Faster, less expensive and much more convenient.
Actually, almost every national postal service in its home country is way too much better for shipping overseas than UPS (i.e. USPS in US, Royal Mail in UK, Deutsche Post in Germany etc.)

Where’s Ton? Need a facepalm .gif. Thanks guys. Good to know for next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy