Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Observe

One Too Many
Check this thread, I think the same answer applies.

Personally I think it's a shame that RMC uses such scarred hides for their supposedly high end jackets. If I'm buying high end (and paying top dollar) I expect the maker to cut around scars like this.

I don't want to make it seem like I can't handle character in leather, but if I fold the leather between my fingers I can see the corium in the splits. At least with your quoted thread's J24 the scars and pores were superficial and not actually a tear in the leather (yet). I don't expect the retailer will be scrambling to return the jacket given the price point, but it does irk me. I'd say the lesson here is price does not always equal quality.

Observe

One Too Many
Normal?

NO it is not.

T
ears in the leather of a new jacket no matter the cost is not correct.

What is their explanation that says this is "normal"?
I didn't think it was. I don't have the knowledge that you or others here have but I'm not completely ignorant. I'll probably just live with it, but it definitely negatively impacts my enjoyment of the jacket as I'll be worrying about the damage instead of just wearing it.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I didn't think it was. I don't have the knowledge that you or others here have but I'm not completely ignorant. I'll probably just live with it, but it definitely negatively impacts my enjoyment of the jacket as I'll be worrying about the damage instead of just wearing it.

I would like to hear an explanation of this "normal" process from RMC. My guess is they don't have one and would not deem this as normal

Contact RMC, the retailers is just protecting themselves.

This is not the advertising that RMC wants.

What is going to happen in the future with these tears?

Viking752

Practically Family

There in lies the problem for me. Now instead of just wearing and enjoying your nice leather investment, in the back of your mind you are thinking of the issues. Not sure if any recourse but I would personally steer clear of the retailer and or the jacket maker. YMMV

Observe

One Too Many
I would like to hear an explanation of this "normal" process from RMC. My guess is they don't have one and would not deem this as normal

Contact RMC, the retailers is just protecting themselves.

This is not the advertising that RMC wants.

What is going to happen in the future with these tears?
Hmm I may contact RMC and see what they say.

Observe

One Too Many
Do it.

Tell them you are on this forum and people (customers) are most interested in their response so they can be informed buyers. Also relate you will posting their response in this forum for educational purposes.

We are most curious.
Haha I will try the route of diplomacy before threatening the nuclear option, but I will provide an update.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I apologize if this isnt strictly relevant to the thread but I did wear this jacket today and it doesn't feel like it deserves itsown thread. Sorry for no fit pics. After looking over my RMC Nelson today I observed some concerning developments. It appears as though small cracks have been forming along scar lines on the back arm panel on the left sleeve of the jacket. I spoke with the retailer including these pictures and they assured me that this was normal. I have jackets that cost me 1/10 what this jacket cost that I've treated like they owed me money that haven't shown any cracks. The worst that happened here is that I got caught in a downpour one time, after which I let the jacket air dry completely and conditioned after. Jacket is about 2 months old, and I'd say it's been worn maybe 30 times total and only briefly as it's been too hot to wear most days. View attachment 445578 View attachment 445577 View attachment 445576
View attachment 445580
What do you guys think?
Edit

Nevermind, I blew it up on screen. Two of the photos looks deep cuts by very sharp knife type. Still a QC issue. The super sharp knick is not usual horsehide scars but man made. Could be nail or some very careless handling but instead of buffing it out before painting they just tried to paint over it. Get your money back or at least an exchange.

They don't look like scars to me. I like and have lots of scars leathers. They don't look like that.

What it looks like to me is a hair or something got on the leather in the paint spraying process. If you put a hair on wet painted surface and when it dries it would look like that.

Still sucks because it would be a QC issue. The only silver lining is you don't have to worry about the leather deteriating. It is unpleasant to look at, but looks to be on the paint surface level only, not deep into the leather itself.

I've noticed the overall quality misses from all tanneries in the past two years. Hard times for all.

Edit

Nevermind, I blew it up on screen. Two of the photos looks deep cuts by very sharp knife type. Still a QC issue. The super sharp knick is not usual horsehide scars but man made. Could be nail or some very careless handling but instead of buffing it out before painting they just tried to paint over it. Get your money back or at least an exchange.

They don't look like scars to me. I like and have lots of scars leathers. They don't look like that.

What it looks like to me is a hair or something got on the leather in the paint spraying process. If you put a hair on wet painted surface and when it dries it would look like that.

Still sucks because it would be a QC issue. The only silver lining is you don't have to worry about the leather deteriating. It is unpleasant to look at, but looks to be on the paint surface level only, not deep into the leather itself.

I've noticed the overall quality misses from all tanneries in the past two years. Hard times for all.

Yeah, that’s what I see. Some sort of cuts/slices and some tears.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I apologize if this isnt strictly relevant to the thread but I did wear this jacket today and it doesn't feel like it deserves itsown thread. Sorry for no fit pics. After looking over my RMC Nelson today I observed some concerning developments. It appears as though small cracks have been forming along scar lines on the back arm panel on the left sleeve of the jacket. I spoke with the retailer including these pictures and they assured me that this was normal. I have jackets that cost me 1/10 what this jacket cost that I've treated like they owed me money that haven't shown any cracks. The worst that happened here is that I got caught in a downpour one time, after which I let the jacket air dry completely and conditioned after. Jacket is about 2 months old, and I'd say it's been worn maybe 30 times total and only briefly as it's been too hot to wear most days. View attachment 445578 View attachment 445577 View attachment 445576
View attachment 445580
What do you guys think?
This is cuts in the leather, this jacket is faulty product. It‘s not normal, not for a jacket in this price range nor at any price point.

Observe

One Too Many
It's difficult to capture on camera but in person you can see the cracks closely follow preexisting lines in the leather which have the appearance of scars or some other type of blemish. I'm inclined to think it's a flawed piece of leather rather than a cut made in it during production.

Bigbawz

New in Town
Schott 637 Steerhide. 90's jacket. Not zip sleeved.
1660880965259-1486629722.jpg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
It's difficult to capture on camera but in person you can see the cracks closely follow preexisting lines in the leather which have the appearance of scars or some other type of blemish. I'm inclined to think it's a flawed piece of leather rather than a cut made in it during production.

Yeah, send it back. I’m all for character but this is not character, this is faulty. I wouldn’t tolerate it on a 200 dollar jacket.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 445580
What do you guys think?

Wow! Never seen anything like this, so my perception of "normal" differs from that of the retailer. I am sure, RMC would not want potential customers to worry that this is might happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112