Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Pandemic

One Too Many
Field coat again, meeting General Stanley McChrystal.

25A7B0D0-6EFC-4AD9-A996-DE573D4C2232.jpeg

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
nature is no joke. I'm guessing that's CXL, it must have been like rock hard fiberglass in that kind of cold weather.

When I was getting into photography, I spent a few days in Paige and Zion about a decade ago. Amazing trip. I went to the Indian sandstone slot creeks and horseshoe bend in Paige. Nothing makes you feel smaller than your physical presence in the splendor of nature. A couple of handful of people had died in these slot creeks during a flash flood a few years earlier and I think a few people a year die on that hike to Angel Landing in Zion.

View attachment 464836

View attachment 464837
Nice shots! +1 on nature is no joke. The wife and I took a trip to Ouray, CO in my little Jeep this summer to do some of the infamous mountain passes, one of which 3 people lost their lives on about 2 weeks after we came home. I definitely felt small and at nature’s mercy, but the beauty cannot be substituted!

Yango

One of the Regulars
Aero Thunderbay in cold weather. First three photos are in Page Arizona, selfie is in Zion Park Utah with Angels landing in the background.
Edit. By the way, I was just in the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, did a 7 mile hike straight down to the canyon. It became deadly cold after 7pm, on the 7 mile hike back up. My sweat from the previous hours began to freeze and the water in my water bottle, despite being constantly moved around and shaken, froze solid. I was dragging up the canyon in incredible darkness (cell phone light in Thunderbay pocket lit the way). The temperature went from upper 20s, to lower teens and possibly lower, with howling wind. The Thunderbay blocks windchill like a steel shield. Thank the horse's hide for that. Scary experience, had to share it. It is the Kaibab trail, and it is no joke. A serious hike in serious cold weather right now.

View attachment 464632

View attachment 464633

View attachment 464635

View attachment 464634
I was out in Joshua Tree Park at the end of November, beginning of December a few years back. It got brutally cold when the sun went down. The vistas at sunset were spectacular, and I vividly recall not being able to feel my hands after just a few pictures. I was wearing a quilt lined leather car coat with a heavy polar fleece and the cold still bit to the bone. The beautiful scenery made it worthwhile though.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I was out in Joshua Tree Park at the end of November, beginning of December a few years back. It got brutally cold when the sun went down. The vistas at sunset were spectacular, and I vividly recall not being able to feel my hands after just a few pictures. I was wearing a quilt lined leather car coat with a heavy polar fleece and the cold still bit to the bone. The beautiful scenery made it worthwhile though.
These are cautionary tales. Tourists inadequately dressed for such hikes can simply freeze to death if things go sideways. Water bottle freezing - yikes.

NZJono

One of the Regulars
That Rockafella is a smart looking jacket especially in black. You could wear a tie with it and it would look great.
Trying out my new gun check field coat while in Savannah, GA for a conference:

View attachment 464665

And, of course, I brought a leather jacket to dress it down a little in the evening. I like the black leather with the green herringbone tweed a lot.

View attachment 464666

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
nature is no joke. I'm guessing that's CXL, it must have been like rock hard fiberglass in that kind of cold weather.

When I was getting into photography, I spent a few days in Paige and Zion about a decade ago. Amazing trip. I went to the Indian sandstone slot creeks and horseshoe bend in Paige. Nothing makes you feel smaller than your physical presence in the splendor of nature. A couple of handful of people had died in these slot creeks during a flash flood a few years earlier and I think a few people a year die on that hike to Angel Landing in Zion.

View attachment 464836

View attachment 464837
Great photos, I am very happy to see another lounge member has been to these majestic places. Concerning the CXL issues in cold, what you implied actually did not happen to a noticeable degree. I'm starting to wonder if this actually IS CXL, because I have another CXL jacket in steerhide and it definitely would have turned very stiff in the conditions I was in. This horsehide leather has different properties than the CXL I am familiar with. It is not waxy and is lighter than I am used to with CXL leather. I would not change it, but I wonder if this really is CXL, which is what I had ordered.

Btw, the best fried chicken in the entire country and I don't bluff, is in Page Arizona, it is called the Bird House.

Liveinstyle33

One of the Regulars
I was once stationed in 29 Palms when I was in the Marine Corps, which is right by Joshua tree National Park. I have driven through Joshua tree many times. It is a a sublime desert. More than once I parked on the side of the road and slept in my car. Nobody checked, nobody cared. The stars were so numerous it was like there was no atmosphere at all. That is what it is like in that place and yes, it can also get very cold there as well. The water in our canteens used to freeze when we were training in the Mojave desert, (Near Joshua tree). We would stay out for weeks sometimes. I do not miss fire watch on those winter nights or any of those days actually.

Motocann

One Too Many

View attachment 464836

View attachment 464837
I can take heat, but no way I can withstand frigid temperatures!

Motocann

One Too Many
I was once stationed in 29 Palms when I was in the Marine Corps, which is right by Joshua tree National Park. I have driven through Joshua tree many times. It is a a sublime desert. More than once I parked on the side of the road and slept in my car. Nobody checked, nobody cared. The stars were so numerous it was like there was no atmosphere at all. That is what it is like in that place and yes, it can also get very cold there as well. The water in our canteens used to freeze when we were training in the Mojave desert, (Near Joshua tree). We would stay out for weeks sometimes. I do not miss fire watch on those winter nights or any of those days actually.
I went camping in JT once, during the day it was very nice. But, at night Gail force winds! Our tents just blew away. Luckily I had a camper shell on the pickup truck, we slept in back. The whole truck rocked back and forth. Crazy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko