Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

wz1999

One of the Regulars
Original G-1
6FABD764-4218-4F99-B222-ABDCB547511C.jpeg

dwilson

A-List Customer
You probably know Merv but since you had overdyed in quotes it doesn't mean they just used a ton of dye on it or anything. Typically it means the fabric is already colored (sometimes already cut and sewn) and then dyed again. It usually gives it a very uniform color and if done when cut and sewn makes sure the stitch matches the fabric.

Motocann

One Too Many
You probably know Merv but since you had overdyed in quotes it doesn't mean they just used a ton of dye on it or anything. Typically it means the fabric is already colored (sometimes already cut and sewn) and then dyed again. It usually gives it a very uniform color and if done when cut and sewn makes sure the stitch matches the fabric.
Yes, sometimes leads to some interesting fading. We shall see! I usually avoid overdyed stuff, because the it rubs off on other stuff. But, I figured this was worth a shot. Thanks!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I thought IH overdye is they put black on top of indigo. So as it fades, electric blue will peek through the black. I'm guessing the black will fade faster in high stress areas. Sounds like the denim version of teacore.

I've got a 14 oz IH shirt that is OD and it's crazy cool. I had to try and shrink it (which is a mistake because all the shrink is out of the material with the hot wash to dye it). So after like an hour in the dryer, I realized it wasn't going to happen. But in the process I started getting some cool crease fades.

Edit: actually I might still be in a Turkey stupor. I think there's a black od and indigo od. Don't think you can put a new color on top. But I do know the od styles produce more high contrast fades for sure.

Last edited:

Motocann

One Too Many
I thought IH overdye is they put black on top of indigo. So as it fades, electric blue will peek through the black. I'm guessing the black will fade faster in high stress areas. Sounds like the denim version of teacore.

I've got a 14 oz IH shirt that is OD and it's crazy cool. I had to try and shrink it (which is a mistake because all the shrink is out of the material with the hot wash to dye it). So after like an hour in the dryer, I realized it wasn't going to happen. But in the process I started getting some cool crease fades.

Edit: actually I might still be in a Turkey stupor. I think there's a black od and indigo od. Don't think you can put a new color on top. But I do know the od styles produce more high contrast fades for sure.
Yeah I think this is the indigo overdyed with black.

Al 916

One Too Many

Wearing my IH888 OD now as happens (the fades tend towards neon)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB