Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Jacket Are You Wearing Today?

Savoring the last bits of the Leather Jacket weather wearing this modified Sportclad MC.

Please dont ban me... but I had the lining changed (as it stank, and was ragged, and I am planning to wear this a lot) to Satin but I had a swath of the original lining sewn with the tag. It also have fleece underneath for warmth (not that much). The "patina" was restored when I was able to wipe off the Urad when I sprayed the jacket with vodka to get rid of the smell. Admittedly it did wipe off some of the dye as well. Waiting on Japanese Mustang paste to condition it one last time.

Unsure if I am just not used to a vintage fit but it seems a bit short. But everything else is money! Here it is with my project Duster that finally arrived.

View attachment 506567
Oh man! Killer combo! Jacket looks great as does the Dodge! Plymouth!

blobsterroll

One of the Regulars
Oh man! Killer combo! Jacket looks great as does the Dodge! Plymouth!

Dude, thanks! The Plymouth needs some work. They dont make em like they used to! (both the car and the jacket!). Maybe a modern hemi swap waaaay into the future, much like the jacket with modern lining etc.

Thought I'd get stoned for not keeping the jacket stock or doing period correct restorations. But then I am not planning to sell it or keep it as a museum piece. My GF is eyeing too... so when the time comes, I'd pass it on to her.

Dude, thanks! The Plymouth needs some work. They dont make em like they used to! (both the car and the jacket!). Maybe a modern hemi swap waaaay into the future, much like the jacket with modern lining etc.

Thought I'd get stoned for not keeping the jacket stock or doing period correct restorations. But then I am not planning to sell it or keep it as a museum piece. My GF is eyeing too... so when the time comes, I'd pass it on to her.
I've done similar, sometimes breathing new life into a vintage piece means doing what needs to be done. Liners, zippers....whatever it takes to make it wearable. Just like the car, some modern upgrades are often essential!

You have to go full Punisher and paint the duster flat black!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

We are not that orthodox over here. If you have a 1930s grail jacket and the lining is in tatters then yeah, you try to find a period-correct lining. But a 1950s Sportclad, I say have at it, you chose a great lining. Adds personality.

Not by some of us, no matter the year. It has to be wearable and the zips/stitches ready for the job. Looks great!

IrishStu

One of the Regulars
Savoring the last bits of the Leather Jacket weather wearing this modified 1940s Sportclad MC.

Please dont ban me... but I had the lining changed (as it stank, and was ragged, and I am planning to wear this a lot) to Satin but I had a swath of the original lining sewn with the tag. It also have fleece underneath for warmth (not that much). The "patina" was restored when I was able to wipe off the Urad when I sprayed the jacket with vodka to get rid of the smell. Admittedly it did wipe off some of the dye as well. Waiting on Japanese Mustang paste to condition it one last time.

Unsure if I am just not used to a vintage fit but it seems a bit short. But everything else is money! Here it is with my project Duster that finally arrived.

Edit: My new tailor changed the pockets too! And even gave me one inner pocket.

View attachment 506567
The jacket looks great and not too short.

Oskinator

New in Town
Savoring the last bits of the Leather Jacket weather wearing this modified 1940s Sportclad MC.

View attachment 506567
Would LOVE to see more pics of this Jacket! I absolutely love the pattern of the sportclad. Hoping to find one one day too

Harris HTM

One Too Many
My new favourite jacket. The older I get and the more experience I gain, the more I appreciate looser fit and lighter, suppler leather with a drape.
20230411_115545.jpg
20230411_115551.jpg

Edward

Bartender

View attachment 506567

A Plymouth? Watch out for it inexplicably tuning in to an oldies radio station.... ;)

New lining looks great - nice touch to have that swatch of the original included. I'm not one for cutting up old jacket to try and make them something they aren't, but when it's something sympathetic like you've done to make it wearable again, I'm all for it. Save for a very rare original (say..... a documented Johnny Strabler screen-worn jacket), I'd much rather see a jacket sympathetically restored and worn as intended than left to rot in a box....

Continuing with my variations. Taylor Stitch wool trucker (when they still made stuff in the USA) Because I’m always cold on airplanes, this is one of my main “travel” jackets. View attachment 506686

I hear you on planes.... all too often (especially on a little 737 on those short-hop flights) the aircon is cranked ridiculously. The number of times I've gotten on a plane in thirty degree heat and immediately needed a horse blanket....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner