Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what jacket you would definitely buy again and which would you avoid

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sorry, I know we are supposed to get on with the thread, but the logician inside of me can't let this go: you mean "transposition", not "modus tollens".

Modus Tollens, then double negation elimination, which, you're right...is the same as transposition in this particular instance ...I just skipped a step...yet, they're, for all practical purposes, in this context, the same...do it real quick and you'll see...

Remember though, transposition isn't used in verbal reasoning, it's more of a mathematics deal...

Last edited:

CBI

One Too Many
Buy Again: any really cool looking original WWII era flight jacket. Goodwear A-2 for repros. A terrific original 30's-40's-50's era horsehide civi jacket either 3/4 length or cafe length.

With the exception of a GREAT deal with some other type of jacket, that's it.

I can honestly say that I am not looking that hard for the next purchase as I am very smitten with all of my jackets and don't have too much of an urge to buy anything else right now. I have plenty to wear. I still love jacket purchasing as a spectator sport!

DiamondDave

Vendor
On the flip side, and as a seller, I must say that I would "fire" certain customers if they became too big of a pain in the A$$! If customers will beat a manufacturer up about pricing, with constant phone calls, requesting silly additions or subtractions, and then finally decide that it was a good idea to SCREAM at said manufacturer, then I can say that it would be a NO GO. This current, "empowered" generation, could do worse than to learn a few things from the so-called, "greatest generation" about manners.

I have added to the old adage:

Those who can, DO.
Those who can't, TEACH.
Those that can't do either, become "DEALERS"

Dav

One Too Many
On the flip side, and as a seller, I must say that I would "fire" certain customers if they became too big of a pain in the A$$! If customers will beat a manufacturer up about pricing, with constant phone calls, requesting silly additions or subtractions, and then finally decide that it was a good idea to SCREAM at said manufacturer, then I can say that it would be a NO GO. This current, "empowered" generation, could do worse than to learn a few things from the so-called, "greatest generation" about manners.

I have added to the old adage:

Those who can, DO.
Those who can't, TEACH.
Those that can't do either, become "DEALERS"
Have to agree with you about the manners thing, that is one of the things I like most about FLounge, the fact that they are highly regarded here.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Again: My Wested Indy from a seller on COW. I LOVE THIS JACKET. It fits, it feels great and I love the look of it.
-My Wested Doctor Who Jacket: It was nice and inexpensive but it feels excellent, the leather is nice and thick and, since I lost a little weight+ stretching it a bit.. it's quickly becoming my favorite jacket. I have heard negative things about Wested's Customer service but I had zero problems.
-My US Wings Indy Cowhide: The leather is not my favorite, but the jacket is built like a tank. The price was right, I received a decent discount based on my COW membership. My only complaint is that the sleeves are a little bigger than I would like.

Not ever again:
-Jackets from Mall shops. The price to what you get ratio just is not there. At all.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I swear, I will never, ever buy another repro Irvin - of ANY kind - or any other jacket for that matter,
if I manage to get hold of an original pre-war one size 8!
And that's a promise!

Last edited:

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Again: My Wested Indy from a seller on COW. I LOVE THIS JACKET. It fits, it feels great and I love the look of it.

I have to say my Wested Indy is a beautiful fit and although I have had Aero and Eastman, the Indy is one I would never get rid of. My one was an off the rack and I got lucky - It fits like a glove and although the leather isn't quite as nice as the more expensive jackets, it is very good value.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well this looks like a fun thread... My only leather jacket is by Sporty's Pilot Shop, and is a relatively lower-end brand. Not in the league of Aero or Eastman, anyway. But my jacket is a G-1, and it's apparently in a more modern, relaxed cut, with the sleeves being sort of baggy, and I think the armholes are lower cut than say, a 1940s or '50s equivalent would have been. Aren't looser-fitting flight jackets sometimes referred to as being a "civilian cut?" Anyway, I don't think I'll be buying another Sporty's Pilot Shop jacket, but it's not that bad. It's OK, but not special. I think it's worth mentioning that I wear this for most of the week. Maybe next time I'll go for either Gibson and Barnes or Aero?

Again: My Wested Indy...I LOVE THIS JACKET. It fits, it feels great and I love the look of it...I have heard negative things about Wested's Customer service but I had zero problems.

Not ever again:
-Jackets from Mall shops. The price to what you get ratio just is not there. At all.
I'd have to say I concur on all counts. In 2008 I purchased a Raiders style jacket from Wested, and it immediately became my favorite leather jacket. Mine was custom made to my measurements in Novapelle; comfortable right from the start, and gets better every time I wear it. I've read some horror stories on C.O.W. about Wested's customer service, but my transaction was problem free. In all fairness to Wested, many of the "complaints" were posted by people who had submitted rather lengthy lists of "specifications" in an effort to get what they thought would be a "perfectly screen-accurate" Indy jacket, and were disappointed when some of their "requests" were not met; I simply liked the style and wanted a jacket that fit me well, and that's exactly what I got. On the other hand, some of the complaints were in regards to the quality of the workmanship on the jackets they received--loose or sloppy seamwork, linings coming apart after having worn their jackets a few times, etc.. If I wanted to nit-pick I suppose I could find something "wrong" with my jacket if I looked hard enough, but so far I'm completely satisfied.

As for "jackets from mall shops", I can't recall ever trying on an off-the-rack leather jacket that fit me correctly--close in many instances, but not quite. After my experience with Wested, I'm afraid "custom made to my measurements" is the only way to go.

Last edited:

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
Forgive me, I have run across references to "COW" which I am assuming is a leather jacket forum but haven't been able to discover its URL despite forum and Google searches, can someone help?

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Assuming I could scratch up the funds....I would buy my customized 40's-ish horsehide jacket from Johnson Leather.

I would NEVER buy anything from outside the country....particularly England (shipping), and more particularly, Wested.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If you ever go abroad you'd better remember to take enough food and water with you. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy