Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hat can I wear?

JasonCT

New in Town
Well, I have always loved a nice fedora to complete an outfit - but my question is, I have a fat face and know that some hat styles don't compliment it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
JasonCT said:
Well, I have always loved a nice fedora to complete an outfit - but my question is, I have a fat face and know that some hat styles don't compliment it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
No porkpie, no stingy brim - a photo of yours could help.
Please look aroud at threads where many loungers model around it is extremely helpful to see hat style/color/hat wearer combinations of all sorts together and find out for yourself what goes and what not - there are soo many nice examples.

Post new hats here!
What are you wearing today?
e-bay hats
Art Fawcett hall of Fame
Monteagle 2009

Browse, explore, take your time.... that's the beauty of it!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JasonCT said:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

ff3.jpg

ff4.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Rick Blaine said:
Ain't it?
I boosted it from some hat retailer's website. I think it dates to the 4o's. It really is quite helpful though.
Yeah. Now I have to buy all new hats! :( Not really. [huh] Rick, thanks for posting those guidelines.

This kind of guidance gives the new hat wearer a place to begin. Now all they need to do is find a bricks and mortar establishment with a knowledgable salesperson where they can see some hats. Starting out on ebay can be a real crapshoot as we all know.

JasonCT, It appears that you may have either a Deep Full Face or a Short Full Face as described in the guidelines. Good luck in your search for the right hat.
You might consider the Akubra line. The Stylemaster, Federation, or Campdraft could work depending on how they are creased.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Rick Blaine said:
Ain't it?
I boosted it from some hat retailer's website. I think it dates to the 4o's. It really is quite helpful though.
Very cool, Rick--thanks for the post. Problem is, I can never quite figure out which one of these I am! (Not square jawed or prominent eyebrowed, that's for sure...)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
JasonCT said:
I can't seem to add attachments so I can't post a pic just yet.

From the FAQ:

The way you attach photos:

You need to upload images to a server. Either your ISP (internet service provider) or image hosting sites such as http://www.webshots.com/ or http://photobucket.com/ Once you have uploaded your photo and can see it in your browser, put your cursor over the photo and right click and select properties. This will show you the address of just the photo. Highlight and copy that. To attach the image to a post at The Fedora Lounge, start a post and click on the little image icon above the text field. A pop up box will allow you to paste the address of your image. Click ok. The photo will appear with your post.

Using other browsers, you can right click and select "copy image url".

carter

I'll Lock Up
JasonCT, Now that we've seen your face, Stetson makes some styles that might look good. The Downs and the Temple come to mind.
As for the Akubra line, the Stylemaster might be a good style for you.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
JasonCT, Now that we've seen your face, Stetson makes some styles that might look good. The Downs and the Temple come to mind.
Change Downs to Chatham. Same proportions in better quality felt for not much more money. Of course that only applies if you go for this style. I personally like it as it's not so wide-brimmed that it gets stares from everyone but wide enough to class as a fedora and not a stingy.

hope this isn't too forward, but I think we have relativly similar builds, see avitar. I'm wearing an Akubra Federation IV, but I usually grab an Akubra Campdraft as my "go to hat" but it has a wider brim and it has "more" hat to it.

welcome to the club, you'll like it here, but your wallet will learn to hate you.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I, too, have a pretty large mug- a 2 1/4" brim is as small as I go- here's me in an Akubra Fed IV-
th_dalid022.jpg
and here's me in a wider brim Bushman-
th_bushman010.jpg
which is my favorite all-around hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou