Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of jackets were these?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was thrifting today and came across two different jackets of the same style. I'm sure there's a name for the style, but I'm vintage casual jacket ignorant. I didn't get either one so I don't have a picture, but they were both in a suede-y type leather (not really full-blown suede, though) in a mid-brown. They were cut similar to a windbreaker with cloth ribbed cuffs, bottom edging and collars. The cloth collars were short and did not fold over like like a coat or shirt collar. Both jackets were zip fronts. One was labeled 'California' (maybe 'Californian') the other was a Brooks Brothers with the old Brooks label.

So, any help with a name for this style? It's likely a common style that I just don't know. Thanks!

Edit: Collar was like this US Wings flight jacket. Am I simply talking about a light leather flight style jacket? The thing that struck me was that both jackets were almost identical although from different companies, one of which was Brooks.

ma1GA1.jpg

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
This style was extremely popular from the late 1930's through the early 1960's and are probably the most easily obtainable and inexpensive vintage jackets of their era. Like the earlier A-1, it is basically based on a baseball jacket. Any old Sears, Ward, Penneys catalog circa 40's/50's will feature numerous examples of these. I just call them vintage suede windbreakers for lack of a better term.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Mystery Jacket

The jacket you have pictured is an MA-1. You can get one of those at any Army-Navy Surplus store.
Was that the question? I'm at work so I can't read things that thoroughly. :rolleyes:

Peacoat

Bartender
dakotanorth said:
The jacket you have pictured is an MA-1. You can get one of those at any Army-Navy Surplus store.
Was that the question? I'm at work so I can't read things that thoroughly. :rolleyes:

He was using the picture of the flight jacket to illustrate the type of collar on the jacket he was asking the question about.

Maybe the jacket he has pictured is an L2-B? My heavyweight flight jacket is an MA-1, and my lightweight is the L2-B, which is what I wore as a pilot in the mid 60's to early 70's.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MudInYerEye said:
This style was extremely popular from the late 1930's through the early 1960's and are probably the most easily obtainable and inexpensive vintage jackets of their era. Like the earlier A-1, it is basically based on a baseball jacket. Any old Sears, Ward, Penneys catalog circa 40's/50's will feature numerous examples of these. I just call them vintage suede windbreakers for lack of a better term.

Yeah, baseball style jacket is certainly close, but not exact. 'Vintage suede windbreaker' it is--thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred