Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of lining do they use in the sleeves of jackets with shearling?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Some of the Aero jackets with sheepskin (like the Longshoreman) have cord lining in the arms. Why cord as opposed to fleece or quilted or something else? Inquiring minds want to know plus I'm buying something.

My Longshoreman that I purchased off of Aero's used sale page about six years ago had quilted lining in the sleeves as well as the same quilted lining as a border at the bottom of the shearling lining inside the jacket.
HD

I did just notice on the Aero site that they have replaced the quilted lining on the Longshoreman with corduroy. However this corduroy is very heavy,soft,and quite nice.

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
I've had 4 aeros with shearling / sheepskin lining. My two longshoreman jackets has differing linings due to their differing age the black one from 2002 had green satin quilted lining. The dark brown one from 2004 had brown cord lining in the sleeves ( both were lined in the same material in the bottom 1/4 of the jacket

My long half belt from 2008 has cord ( although this was an aero reline in 2010 ) and my 2005 barnstormer with shawl collar had sheepskin lining in the sleeves ( sort of like a D-1 inside a barnstormer ) but the sleeves were way too bulky IMHO

HTH

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I've had 4 aeros with shearling / sheepskin lining. My two longshoreman jackets has differing linings due to their differing age the black one from 2002 had green satin quilted lining. The dark brown one from 2004 had brown cord lining in the sleeves ( both were lined in the same material in the bottom 1/4 of the jacket

My long half belt from 2008 has cord ( although this was an aero reline in 2010 ) and my 2005 barnstormer with shawl collar had sheepskin lining in the sleeves ( sort of like a D-1 inside a barnstormer ) but the sleeves were way too bulky IMHO

HTH

Between the satin quilted and the cord, which did you prefer and why. Also, since it's obviously a warm jacket, it's fair to assume that the quilted and the cord are both "warm" linings that complement the shearling?

Plumbline

One Too Many
I have to say I preferred the cord ... but it was a little "grabby" when putting the jacket on or taking it off ! The satin quilt just wasn't very durable and pulled and wore through at the hip ( rubbing on belt loops) within a couple of years of intermittent wear ( not even every day wear)

I'd go Cotton drill in the sleeve and moleskin in the bottom 1/4 if I were to specify one ( I'm not sure Aero will accomodate this in their ordering now though .. you'd have to askl them )

simonc

Practically Family
I had my Herc done recently with a heavy shearling lining and the sleeves were done in a very soft thick black cord which is very silky and slippery, its all a matter of getting the nap around the right way.

I wear heavy cotton and canvas shirts in the winter. They grab the heck out of cord and heavy drill. My wool lining in the HBD Aero and GW Ventura slide with ease.
Aero has the nicest heavy cord I've seen. It's in the pockets and it would make a great lining for the torso. Wonder why we don't see that done?

Windward

Practically Family
I have one of my Windward lined with shearling...sleeves lined with alpaca and overlayed with satin - just fine and its not bulky.

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Did you size up to have it fit in a similar way to your others? Also, do you ever layer underneath or is it strictly one for wearing with shirts/t shirts?

I have one of my Windward lined with shearling...sleeves lined with alpaca and overlayed with satin - just fine and its not bulky.

Not sure Aero does that any more.
I have a half belt that had satin lining overlying cotton drill...when I ordered it several years ago, that is how Aero did their satin lined sleeves. The explanation I was given was that the underlying cotton drill protected the satin from wear.
I never wore the jacket much as the lining in the sleeves bunched up quite a bit at the fore arm, to the point it was painful to wear for any length of time.
A few months back I contacted Aero to see if they change the lining to just cotton drill.
They did the correction for free, and noted that they do not do double lining in their satin sleeves any longer.....I believe they said because of this potential issue.

Windward

Practically Family
@Highwaymanman - I ordered the same size as my others - because I want it to wear it just with a shirt (only the armpit to armpit measured one inch more)
Its fun to wear a jacket in cold winter with just a shirt ... but I am able to wear it also with a (light!) merino sweater without any restriction.
After a while the shearling becomes flatter and the jacket fits even better and better...

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Thank you Windward, great info. you're the perfect guy to answer actually, since you own multiples of the same design.... I aim for the same thing although I wonder if I should get my current old oil pull brown HWM relined in shearling and then get another in FQHH black in a size down or just go for a black shearling lined and have another designed to be worn with a layer, keeping a non leather jacket (black Filson x Levi oiled tin cloth type 3) for days warm enough for just a shirt underneath.

Clear as mud, innit.

Windward

Practically Family
Thank you Windward, great info. you're the perfect guy to answer actually, since you own multiples of the same design.... I aim for the same thing although I wonder if I should get my current old oil pull brown HWM relined in shearling and then get another in FQHH black in a size down or just go for a black shearling lined and have another designed to be worn with a layer, keeping a non leather jacket (black Filson x Levi oiled tin cloth type 3) for days warm enough for just a shirt underneath.

Clear as mud, innit.

Thanks Highwaymanman - as far as I know AERO uses with a shearling lined jacket one size up - so if your oil pull HWM is quite roomy it might be a good idea to get it shearling lined. On the other hand a black FQHH is a must (IMO). And if the time is right for a new (leather) jacket I would take the chance ... maybe than with shearling to complete the collection?!

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Thanks Highwaymanman - as far as I know AERO uses with a shearling lined jacket one size up - so if your oil pull HWM is quite roomy it might be a good idea to get it shearling lined. On the other hand a black FQHH is a must (IMO). And if the time is right for a new (leather) jacket I would take the chance ... maybe than with shearling to complete the collection?!

I'll most probably keep the brown HWM as is and get one more or less the same size in black with a shearling lining. I mean to wonder if they'll do a lining in curly sheepskin like an Irving or if they still have black sheepskin. I'd prefer either to the regular teddy bear stuff although that would be fine too.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I have cotton drill over alpaca in my Barnstormer. It is a little bulky, but I do not find it too "grabby" and it is surprisingly warm - warmer than my peacoat sleeves. I am sure it does not stack up to shearling, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran