Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of weave in this Borsalino? Is it packable?

brogue

New in Town
Any suggestions on what kind of hat this is? I bought this Borsalino at Neiman-Marcus a few years ago. The crown has a different weave then the brim. The weave of the crown seems more widely spaced, and the crown is very flexible.

I’m guessing it’s a special type of hat designed for travel. Do you think it’s crushable, packable, or foldable?

I have always wondered about this, and recently discovered this web site, so I’m hoping some of the experts here may have a comment. I haven’t wanted to pack it in a suitcase out of fear it wasn’t truly crushable, and didn’t want to ruin this great-looking hat. A few years ago I had a Christie’s felt hat. The salesman told me it was crushable. I packed it in a suitcase and despite valiant efforts by a kind salesman at Worth & Worth in Manhattan, I could never revive the original look from before the suitcase crushing.

So my questions are:
1) Any info on the type of straw and weave used here?
2) Is it packable, and how best to pack it?

Thanks.

brogue

New in Town
The crown has a loose, or widely-spaced weave, and is soft and flexible.

The brim is more tightly woven.

brogue

New in Town
Not a nibble? Am hoping someone can shed light on this mystery weave, and whether it's designed as a crushable or travel hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran