Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of WWII fighter plane are you?

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Playing around on the Web today, following links in a wire story and I came on http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=history

you can take a short fun quiz to see what kind of fighter plane you are. I didn't take this quiz, instead I found out I am most like Glenda the Good Witch from the WofO.

hmmmm, i suppose so. and then there is the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator.

wow, that was pretty enlightening!

rsg

jake431

Practically Family
Here's my results:

#1 P-47 Thunderbolt
#2 P-38 Lightning
#3 F-6 Hellcat
#4 P-39 Aircobra
#5 Yak-5
#6 P-40 Tomahawk
#7 A6M2 Zero
#8 P-51 Mustang
#9 Spitfire

I knew the P-47 would be my first choice (it is a personal favorite too) but I am surprised the Mustang was not higher. Interesting.

-Jake

Feraud

Bartender
P-38 Lightning
p-38.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
My results were kind of spooky, considering the Spit is one of my all time favorites:

#1 Spitfire
#2 A6M2 Zero
#3 P-51 Mustang
#4 P-39 Aircobra
#5 P-40 Tomahawk
#6 P-38 Lightning
#7 Yak-5
#8 F-6 Hellcat
#9 P-47 Thunderbolt

Cheers!

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
not knowing anything about planes, fighters or such i took the test just on my "druthers"

ended up:

#1 Spitfire
#2 Yak-5
#3 A6M2 Zero
#4 P-39 Aircobra
#5 P-38 Lightning
#6 P-40 Tomahawk

rsg

Baggers

Practically Family
RedShoesGirl said:
not knowing anything about planes, fighters or such i took the test just on my "druthers"

ended up:

#1 Spitfire
#2 Yak-5
#3 A6M2 Zero
#4 P-39 Aircobra
#5 P-38 Lightning
#6 P-40 Tomahawk

rsg

That Yak-5 aside, if we'd met 20 years ago we could have made beautiful music together! lol

Cheers!

Rundquist

A-List Customer
#1 P-47 Thunderbolt
#2 F-6 Hellcat
#3 P-39 Aircobra
#4 P-40 Tomahawk
#5 P-38 Lightning
#6 Yak-5
#7 A6M2 Zero
#8 Spitfire
#9 P-51 Mustang

The Thunderbolt & the Hellcat were the two all round most succesful American fighters of the war. They could do the most things well. Although the P-39 was bad mouthed by us (for use as a fighter), it actually did what it was designed to do (ground attack) really well. The Russians flew them and loved em. Cool

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got the P-38, but even though it's a twin-engine, it's a bit too slender to match my type. I love the Spitfire but I ain't no Spitfire myself.

I wish they had the Boeing XF8B-1. They only built one, it was powered by a single R-4360 with a contra-rotating prop. It was probably the heaviest single engine piston fighter, it even had an internal bomb bay. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
:eek:fftopic:

The fins and buldging rear fender were inspired by the P38 Lightning. This styling was used and modified through the 1950's until cars became slab sided in 1957. Cadillac, of course, kept the fins in various forms for decades. The whole GM lineup sported that buldge and some sort of upsweep for several model years.

08dark.jpg

See the buldges on the twin booms? And that tail? They were copied for the car above.

Lockheed_P-38_Lightning.jpg

1952:

RKoz52.jpg

fin48a.jpg

When the story of the '48 Cadillac is told, the influence of the plane's tailfins is usually the predominant theme. However the effect of the plane's design encompassed much more than that. (Bill) Mitchell said, "You have to understand the value of what we saw in that plane's design. We saw that you could take one line and continue it from the cowl all the way back to the tip of the tail -- that you could have one unbroken, flowing line."

Hershey was also impressed with the plane's aerodynamic flow, but when he got back to his studio he began experimenting with the line of the tailfin he had seen. He worked with that idea, but both he and Mitchell moved on to other design projects before they left GM to serve in the Navy during World War II. Even so, meeting up with the P-38 Lightning had cast a spell over all the designers who had seen it. This spell would carry through the long war to the introduction of the 1948 Cadillac almost a decade later -- and beyond that into defining the design "flavor" of Cadillacs for years thereafter.

*From Here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy