Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What leather conditioner do you use?

Peacoat

Bartender
I hear you but a number of experts including the Smithsonian leather curators swear by it. Remember it is ph balanced so it presents no risks. Also if it leaves the jacket greasy your using too much. :D Animal based or "fats and natural oils" can be equally problematic on leather as they can have a rancid, corrosive effect. Natural isn't always better.

Yep. Agree with all three points.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Yep, I agree with Seb.

I use Vaseline. I read an interview with JC at Goodwear, and he said that's what he uses;
It's ph neutral, so it won't rot your leather or the stitching.
John should know, he must have a shed load of old A-2's.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have a jar of Obenauf's at the moment I've used for boots. Do you guys think it's ok on an old jacket (it wasn't discussed too much in this thread) or should I order Pecards?

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a jar of Obenauf's at the moment I've used for boots. Do you guys think it's ok on an old jacket (it wasn't discussed too much in this thread) or should I order Pecards?

I have the Heavy Duty LP and the oil. I use them on my boots, but feel they are a bit "heavy" for jackets. I would go ahead and order the Pecard if you have other conditioning needs. There are good conditioners from other countries--GB, Germany and Australia come to mind--and Pecard is right at the top of the list.

If you only have one old jacket, and your conditioner needs would be limited to that jacket, a coat of Obenauf's should do you just fine.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have the Heavy Duty LP and the oil. I use them on my boots, but feel they are a bit "heavy" for jackets. I would go ahead and order the Pecard if you have other conditioning needs. There are good conditioners from other countries--GB, Germany and Australia come to mind--and Pecard is right at the top of the list.

If you only have one old jacket, and your conditioner needs would be limited to that jacket, a coat of Obenauf's should do you just fine.

Thanks Peacoat. Now I have something to do tonight! Who goes out?

I just received a pair of Beckman boots from eBay.
they were much darker and shinier than the ones I recently sold that had been oiled. I asked the seller what they used, and he replied Obenauf's. I think the Obenauf's might leave mid toned leathers darker than Pecards. Definitly shinier than what I've seen with Pecards treatment. It looks great on the boots, but not what I want for a jacket.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Post-Obenauf's. Took about an hour and a half. Leather comes out darker but I don't mind.
image.jpg

RenaissanceMan

New in Town
Been using Lexol on jackets since the 1980s. Saw today that they offer a non-darkening formula for lighter leathers.

For working leather equipment like bullwhips? Original formula Pecard's, of course.

I collect vintage and custom cowboy boots and the only product I use for conditioning my boots as well as leather jackets is Bickmore 4.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
I have a general question (well, not that general I guess) about using conditioner on an older jacket. I just picked up a Schott A-2 from the 70s (most likely). It's in really good shape, but I think the leather (I'm assuming it's steer) could use a general freshening up - it's probably a little stiffer than it could be. I've used Bick-4 on newer jackets with really good results, but is there any reason why one wouldn't want to use it on an older jacket like this one? Thanks for your expert advice.

Peacoat

Bartender
If you have been happy with the results on newer jackets, there is no reason to believe you would get a different result with an older jacket, and it really isn't that old. Probably old enough that conditioner wouldn't do any harm, and might even be beneficial.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just received a pair of Frey lace-ups in a very light tan, much lighter than I thought they would be (almost a sand color), so I'm planning on darkening them a bit. I saw MattFace's (where is he?) prescription for using olive oil and beeswax on another forum some time ago, but the amount of each wasn't quite clear, nor am I sure how to mix the two. I'm also thinking of using Neatsfoot oil instead of the olive. Any advice out there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner