Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Magazines Do You Read?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With the advent of the internet, the only magazine I ever purchase anymore is 'Flight Journal', and that is usually only their magnificent Special Editions of individual aircraft - usually quarterly.

Travis

Suspended
The only magazine I have a subscription to is my new subscription to Classic Style. Other than that, I tend to just pick up magazines at the news stand that have articles that seem like they would interest me in them. Jazz Times is pretty common. I'll have to check out some of the magazines other people listed.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I subscribe to waaaaaay too many magazines. But I say if you are going to buy 2 to 3 issues on the newsstand - you might as well as subscribe since it costs about as much with the discounted subscription price.

The funny thing is that just this morning I told my wife we don't need to renew Entertainment Weekly anymore. I have gotten to the age where either I don't recognize the people they are writting about - or - if I do, I don't care about them (aka Paris, Lohan, Britney and the rest of the celebutards).

There is a new magazine out celebrating the Golden Age of Hollywood called ICONS. It just came out last month and I hope to get my first issue soon.

It would join a list that includes:

Archetectual Digest
The New Yorker
Men's Vogue
Esquire
Shambala Sun
Jazz Times
Men's Health
Classic Style
Tai Chi
Metropolitan Home

Luckily, I am a fast reader - except for The New Yorker which is really hard to keep up with because of all of the articles AND it's weekly.

BRS

Travis

Suspended
Brian Sheridan said:
I subscribe to waaaaaay too many magazines. But I say if you are going to buy 2 to 3 issues on the newsstand - you might as well as subscribe since it costs about as much with the discounted subscription price.

The funny thing is that just this morning I told my wife we don't need to renew Entertainment Weekly anymore. I have gotten to the age where either I don't recognize the people they are writting about - or - if I do, I don't care about them (aka Paris, Lohan, Britney and the rest of the celebutards).

There is a new magazine out celebrating the Golden Age of Hollywood called ICONS. It just came out last month and I hope to get my first issue soon.

It would join a list that includes:

Archetectual Digest
The New Yorker
Men's Vogue
Esquire
Shambala Sun
Jazz Times
Men's Health
Classic Style
Tai Chi
Metropolitan Home

Luckily, I am a fast reader - except for The New Yorker which is really hard to keep up with because of all of the articles AND it's weekly.

BRS

I searched for that ICONS Magazine you spoke up. Bogie is on the cover. After looking around their site, I think I may have to subscribe to this, making it so Classic Style isn't my only magazine subscription. Thanks for the heads up! For those curious, their website is http://www.iconsmagazine.com/.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
1. VideoMaker (even though I cancelled my subscription, they're still coming!)
2. GQ sort of off of the rack. One of his employees subscribes to it and has it delivered to my dad's store. I read it once in a while from there.
3. The Daily Variety (off the rack)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Lots and lots in our household...

Architecture and Interior Design:
  • Architectural Digest
  • Cottage Living
  • Fine Homebuilding (OTR)
  • Southern Accents (OTR)
  • Traditional Home
  • Veranda
Fashion:
  • Classic Style (contributing writer)
  • Details (OTR)
  • Esquire (OTR)
  • InStyle
  • Vogue
WWII - Warbirds:
  • Air Classics (OTR)
  • America in WWII (OTR)
  • Flight Journal (OTR)
  • FlyPast (OTR)
  • Warbirds International (OTR)
Other:
  • Associations Now (contributing writer)
  • Carribean Travel & Life
  • Fine Woodworking (OTR)
  • Fortune
  • Jazziz
  • Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette (OTR)
  • PC Magazine
  • Washingtonian (OTR)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I only subscribe to a few:

Man At Arms
Muzzleloader
Muzzle Blasts
The Backwoodsman

Now as for all the hunting/shooting/woodworking catalogs I get....... I believe I get a new Cabela's and Woodcraft catalog every week and a half...

52Styleline

A-List Customer
Discover
Scientific American
Popular Mechanics
QST
Guns and Ammo
Hobby Farmer
Pipe and Tobacco
American Woodworker
Sports Afield

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

Subscriptions:

National Geographic
Cigar Afficionado
Classic Style
Food & Wine
Sunset
Synergy (from National Association of Medical Staff Services)

OTR occasionally:

Cosmopolitan
Vogue
People
Us

Tudor

Familiar Face
Classic Style; I think I have read this first issue 3 times.
Fine Woodworking
Home Shop Machinist
Machinist’s Workshop
Just Labs
Retriever Journal
Cook’s Illustrated
Make Magazine
Popular Science
Popular Mechanics

Fine Homebuilding (OTR)

pablocham

One of the Regulars
I get a few others that basically go straight into the trash, but these are the ones I actually read:
Harper's
New Yorker
New York Review of Books
Juxtapoz
Vanity Fair

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Subscribe:

Fine Cooking (this is my 10th year as a subscriber)
Cook's Illustrated (no ads!)
Popular Photography (because it's dirt cheap)
Photolife (a very nice Canadian photo mag)
Photo Techniques
National Geographic
Sports Illustrated
Consumer Reports
Sail

Off the rack (and only occasionally):

Trains
Black & White

moustache

Practically Family
For my reading habit:

Gramophone
Fanfare
American Record Guide
QST
GQ
Menswear
PenWorld
Watchtower/Awake
Stylus
International Watches
Watchtime

And of course, Classic Style!!!

JD

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Travis said:
I searched for that ICONS Magazine you spoke up. Bogie is on the cover. After looking around their site, I think I may have to subscribe to this, making it so Classic Style isn't my only magazine subscription. Thanks for the heads up! For those curious, their website is http://www.iconsmagazine.com/.

I have been trying to call them. Their number says it has been disconnected and implies that they haven't paid their bill. I have e-mailed them but haven't received a response....which isn't a good sign. This is a shame because I really want to see their magazine.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Do older magazines count? I could list a whole lot of those, but I suppose I won't. For now:

-Saveur
-Vanity Fair
-Time
occasionally InStyle and People[huh]

Travis

Suspended
MK said:
I have been trying to call them. Their number says it has been disconnected and implies that they haven't paid their bill. I have e-mailed them but haven't received a response....which isn't a good sign. This is a shame because I really want to see their magazine.

Strange. That doesn't sound like a good sign at all. I sent them an email the other night when I first found out about them asking if I were to subscribe now if it were still early enough to get issue one in the subscription and I had a reply within a few hours. They seemed rather nice and helpful. Well, I guess we'll see what comes of this, if it does fall to the wayside, which I hope it doesn't, at least we still have Classic Style, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran