Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes the best hats best? An open question to all us snobby hat lovers.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Just chanced upon this wonderful thread...

Most important is
The felt - should be soft, almost velvety, at the touch, supple; one should be able to bash it using just fingers or a single karate chop with the back of the hand; and keep that bash. No steam, less shellac.

The sweatband - should be supple leather, reeded, and mounted in such a way as to not promote contact between the sweat and the felt.

All stitching should be ...perfect, especially if visible.

It should have a nice liner (but that is a minor consideration).

All the rest is a question of style, personal preference.

I have one hat that meets, well -originally met- these qualifications: "1940" Real Nutria John B. Stetson ... large cowboy hat. The felt is incredible: bash at will! The leather sweatband is pretty much toast...

Cheers,
Paul

John Galt

Vendor
The Mark Of Quality Hat

Thanks for sharing gentlemen. I have truly enjoyed reading this thread. I just wish that there was more to read. Whether it be the "hand" of the felt the feel of the leather sweatband, or the stitching, the thing that really sets a good hat apart for me is that the quality is immediately apparent. Touching or wearing one is like having a well-made tool in your hand, or a custom pair of boots on your feet. It just feels right. For felt, I too prefer my vintage nutria fur hats (Stetsons with only one exception) over my one vintage 100% beaver fur hat (Beaver Brand) because the nutria felt has just as good a "hand" and can easily be dry-creased but seems a little more densely felted than the beaver and therefore more durable. For the hatters among us, what is the dark molasses smell that I sometimes catch when I steam a good quality beaver felt? I had thought this was a relic of the felting process until I handled a beaver pelt and caught the same scent. Is this some sort of musk or animal scent from the beaver itself?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for sharing gentlemen. I have truly enjoyed reading this thread. I just wish that there was more to read. Whether it be the "hand" of the felt the feel of the leather sweatband, or the stitching, the thing that really sets a good hat apart for me is that the quality is immediately apparent. Touching or wearing one is like having a well-made tool in your hand, or a custom pair of boots on your feet. It just feels right. For felt, I too prefer my vintage nutria fur hats (Stetsons with only one exception) over my one vintage 100% beaver fur hat (Beaver Brand) because the nutria felt has just as good a "hand" and can easily be dry-creased but seems a little more densely felted than the beaver and therefore more durable. For the hatters among us, what is the dark molasses smell that I sometimes catch when I steam a good quality beaver felt? I had thought this was a relic of the felting process until I handled a beaver pelt and caught the same scent. Is this some sort of musk or animal scent from the beaver itself?

Hey John, I sent you a couple PMs about getting my hats re-sized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred