Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What on earth to do with orphaned suit jackets?

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Being that I am constantly out in the world searching for vintage, I often come across sadly orphaned jackets that once belonged to glorious vintage suits. Typically, I sigh for them, and pass them up.

But I just couldn't pass by this dated jacket (too faded to read) with a '36 union tag. It is my fiancee's size. DB navy with a white pin stripe, 5 1/2 lapels, trim and impeccably tailored. MASSIVE shoulder pads. In amazing condition. It was $15. Honestly, how could I leave it there?

I asked the lady-in-the-know (my Goodwills all fondly know me as "that vintage girl") if there was any chance the trousers would be coming out. NO - sadly not - they had been send to the AS-IS bins for some defect.

That's right! It had only recently been divorced from its mate. I actually spent two days at the AS-IS, just to see if the universe REALLY liked me.

Apparently not. So, this stunning jacket is without pants, and I have no idea if there is some stylish manner in which it can be worn. Could be be paired with white wool trousers? Or is that too collegiate? Is there any hope for it, or is now just a great jacket that might make a fantastic pattern for a future suit?

So, fellas, do any of you wear orphaned jackets, and HOW exactly?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nothing is more Thirties than wearing the jacket of one suit and the pants of another.

From your description, it would look great with whites. It used to be a look for resort-goers, sportsmen, show folks, a lot of post-collegiate types. Very dapper, especially with white or two tone shoes.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Haha! Yes, I recall that you & he wear the same size. Sorry, he already knows it exists... sort of ... but I wanted to complete the outfit for a birthday present.

I'm VERY glad to know that there's historical precendent for the style! Thanks Fletch!

Further question then - being that this is made of a fine wool, what materials would be acceptable to wear with it? Would linen be TOO summer-ish? I do have a line on a very nice linen pair in his size ... and NO Justin, you may NOT know where... ;)

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
congratulations! I think linen might work - especially if it was fairly heavy - but a heavyish white cotton canvas/duck or cream flannel would be even better, I think.

Edward

Bartender
From my limited knowledge, the whites would be more 30s-correct, though something in an off-white would, I think, be more practical (at least here in the city.....). Definitely sounds like one of those jackets which could well be worn without the matching trousers. I'd definitely go for something complimentary without trying to match it (impossible, of course, unless you have the same bolt of cloth). Maybe a nice pair of plain, light grey flannels would also work with it?

anon`

One Too Many
pdxvintagette said:
Haha! Yes, I recall that you & he wear the same size. Sorry, he already knows it exists... sort of ... but I wanted to complete the outfit for a birthday present.

I'm VERY glad to know that there's historical precendent for the style! Thanks Fletch!

Further question then - being that this is made of a fine wool, what materials would be acceptable to wear with it? Would linen be TOO summer-ish? I do have a line on a very nice linen pair in his size ... and NO Justin, you may NOT know where... ;)
Awwww, bummer! ;)

I think I might actually be smaller now, but that's neither here nor there. Still, I've always got space for new stuff! :D

For what it's worth, I also say that you can't go wrong with light-coloured flannel.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Thanks, I most certainly trust your feedback!

The linen trousers, then, would be too big for ya! So you won't even need to feel bummed about missing them. OT, what are we doing re: Doran's visit? PM me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff