Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What pens are we carrying today?

RetroPat

Familiar Face
Thought I would bring this puppy back up. Writing with a black Parker 51 which has a nail fine nib and a ribbed sterling cap. Oh, and it's filled with Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black. I thought since the pen was made in 1944, a WWII theme ink would be appropriate. What are you all using?

Today I was using a black Esterbrook Dollar pen with an 8668 nib from WWII Firm writing medium and Walt Disney Signature Black ink from Monteverde for some resumes to send out.

Later I used my Pilot Vanishing point with Binder italic nib and Levenger Cobalt Blue (with a lot of distilled water added) on some Thank you and birthday cards to go out too. What a writer!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday it was a 1935 Sheaffer Balance and 1914 Conklin Crescent-Filler.

Today, it's a 1927 Wahl Eversharp and a red Sheaffer School Pen.

I grew up using these old sheaffer school pens. They were the first fountain pens I ever touched and used. I haven't really used them again for nearly 10 years...that's all about to change!

bd3

New in Town
recommend a fountain pen

Hi all,
I love writing with a fountain pen. Haven't had one on several years. Couldn't really find one to buy.

Anyhow, can any of you recommend a pen. I like one that writes fairly wet really smooth, and probably a medium nib. I'd like to stay in a budget. Say $50.00 at the out most. I can't afford $100.00 or more for a pen. I'm overwhelmed with all the post in this thread. Oh, I will also require it to be able to stand up to daily use. I want to retire my old Cross ball point.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Anyhow, can any of you recommend a pen. I like one that writes fairly wet really smooth, and probably a medium nib. I'd like to stay in a budget. Say $50.00 at the out most. I can't afford $100.00 or more for a pen. I'm overwhelmed with all the post in this thread. Oh, I will also require it to be able to stand up to daily use. I want to retire my old Cross ball point.

For $50 you can do rather nicely in the vintage category. Try Tom Mullane's Website, MyFavoritePens.com. He's selling a never-used Parker 21 Deluxe, with a medium nib, for fifty bucks on the nose. Or you can get regular Parker 21s for half that price. He also has a couple of Sheaffer Touchdowns in that ($25) range.

I have no affiliation with that site, by the way. I just bought a 21 Deluxe from Tom that writes very well.

bd3 said:
Hi all,
I love writing with a fountain pen. Haven't had one on several years. Couldn't really find one to buy.

Thanks for any recommendations.[/QUOTE

There are many Esterbrooks that fit the bill from Dollar Pens to the LJ's and SJ's. The renew point lets you change the nib easy enough. Classic and ubiquitous.

FYI America!

Los ANgeles Magazine just published their Best of LA issue and the Fountain Pen Shop of Monrovia (formerly LA) comes in at #75 as best fine writing instruments shop with repairs and vintage and Fred Krinke as the pen surgeon. Flax Pen to Paper got an Honorable mention for the Westies.

bd3

New in Town
any one have an opinion on the

Aldo pens versus Yafa. I'd like to hear them good, bad, indifferent.

Thanks
Bill

PoohBang

Suspended
This is the one I'm carrying today...

my 1942 Tuckaway...

MVC-682S-1.jpg

and as always more pics on my blog..

High Pockets

Practically Family
Today I'm doing my best to use up as much of the ink that came in my new Lamy Safari as I can! What a smooth writing pen! A bit on the ugly side, (actually more than just "a bit"),...but much smoother than the throw-away Varsity's I been using this week.

As soon as I started writing with it this morning I thought:
"If an inexpensive pen writes as nice as this,....I wonder what a little more cash would get me?"
So I went to Amazon and ordered a Waterman Phileas, a pen that was suggested here on the Lounge just a few days ago.

I like the Safari a lot, and it looks like a fairly tough pen that might be able to take the little punishment that it'll get at the fire station, so seeing as I have to use red ink to fill out the log books at work, I ordered Noodler's Antietam Red to fill it with,.....that way I can use it at work and leave the Phileas for more "delicate" work at home.:)

bd3

New in Town
Today I purchased a Waterman Phileas with medium nib. It came with a cartridge of blue ink and a converter. I prefer black ink over blue so I'll be getting some black ink soon.

bd3

New in Town
bd3 said:
Today I purchased a Waterman Phileas with medium nib. It came with a cartridge of blue ink and a converter. I prefer black ink over blue so I'll be getting some black ink soon.

Well, I loaded it up with some ink when I got home and WOW!! I could not believe the difference in how it writes compared to the cheap drug store fountain pen I had in high school. The medium nib puts down a really nice line and seems to float on the ink as I write. Just amazing.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Parker Duofold 'Big Red' two-bander (1928 button-filler).
Wahl-Eversharp 'Art Deco' (1927 Lever-filler).
Waltham M1908 hunter-case pocket watch (1926).
Conklin Crescent-filler (1914).

As you can see...a very Roaring Twenties feel today...

DC3

New in Town
We had a small local office supply store go out of business a couple of years ago and I happened to be there checking out the sale. One of those items still in the display case, and heavily discounted, was a Waterman Pileas Red. I could not resist, and it has been with me off and on since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24