Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Price Glory A-2 Jacket

zhz

Practically Family
However, I don't think G&B is a cheap choice, most of their A2s cost around $700, which almost same an Aero A2.
Something else to consider. As the WWII jackets were mass produced, it would be inevitable that some minor variations might exist from example to example. I would not get wrapped around the axle over stitch count, thread count, etc. If it fits, looks good, and is reasonably well made...plus is affordable for the average consumer, then you have a winner. In my book, at least. Your mileage may vary.

Edward

Bartender
Sounds an interesting test. Remember to find people with no knowledge of A2 at all. I think the experienced people (like Andrew) may distinguish this easily.

Mn, I don't know.... it wouldn't be the first time such an 'objective' personage couldn't tell the difference between an A2, an M442a and an INdiy jacket.... we're not exactly talkingsubtle differences there....

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Tim, there is not much I can add to what everyone else has said about your high quality great value A2. It looks excellent for the price. Detailed pictures would be appreciated so that the jacket can be thoroughly evaluated. The pockets look fine as does the collar. I'm not sure why the wristlets are quite so long as they make the sleeves ride up a bit. Does it have the two underarm vent holes? Are the snaps the ring or ball variety?

Thanks Andrew. Yes it has the underarm vent holes with grommets and the snaps are the ball type on both the collar and pockets. I agree the wristlets are a tad too long and they are also seamed.

I'll endeavour to take some detail photos today. It's sunny here so I'll try and take some in natural light to show the colour off better. Although with a nearly 3 week old, my best laid plans may go out the window!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Mn, I don't know.... it wouldn't be the first time such an 'objective' personage couldn't tell the difference between an A2, an M442a and an INdiy jacket.... we're not exactly talkingsubtle differences there....

No, lets get our local resident "brain surgeon" self proclaimed experts to take the test. And you know who you are!!! I'll buy the first round of beer as this will be highly entertaining and good for laughs. And in the end, we'll all get an education.

Plus, lets add in one or two average consumers...those who appreciate good clothing for what it is, not what it is not.

But...it has to be a "double blind" test. I'll wager that some (but not all) of the less expensive jackets will score as well as the $$$ boutique jackets.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Just got an automated e-mail notice from US Authentic (flightjacket.com) stating that due to an increase in leather prices, they will be raising the cost of their A-2 jackets next month; Smithy's WPG jacket seems like an even better deal!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just got an automated e-mail notice from US Authentic (flightjacket.com) stating that due to an increase in leather prices, they will be raising the cost of their A-2 jackets next month; Smithy's WPG jacket seems like an even better deal!

At $175 with shipping, a definite bargain. Don't forget Leather Coats Etc. (www.leathercoatsetc.com). Their A-2 is $279, made in the USA. And the San Diego Leather Company (www.leather.com). Their A-2 is $245, made right their in San Diego. Very good customer service from these people too.

And there is the US Wings A-2 2000 at $195 with free shipping, goatskin in dark brown, looks to be a decent jacket. Just ordered one!

Not that I am cheap...but I like a bargain as much as anyone!

Last edited:

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I am preppring to order one of these but wanted an opinion from the peanut gallery. I need a WPG XXL, no doubt. But the sleeve length at 28" scares me. Based on Smithy's measurements, the XL would be to tight even though the sleeves would be perfect. Yes, I have a stomach. I'm just seeking an opinion on which to get. I measured my US Wings and Wested Indy jackets (US Wings is a XL and Wested a 48) and both match the WPG measurements perfectly. Smithy's measures seem to shave a few inches off those.

What do you guys think?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I am preppring to order one of these but wanted an opinion from the peanut gallery. I need a WPG XXL, no doubt. But the sleeve length at 28" scares me. Based on Smithy's measurements, the XL would be to tight even though the sleeves would be perfect. Yes, I have a stomach. I'm just seeking an opinion on which to get. I measured my US Wings and Wested Indy jackets (US Wings is a XL and Wested a 48) and both match the WPG measurements perfectly. Smithy's measures seem to shave a few inches off those.

What do you guys think?

Just be aware that my jacket is a Large and not an Extra Large. You should definitely follow their advice and size up from what you normally wear.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I see that these ship out from the WPG warehouse (factory?) in UAE. I wonder if they import goatskin hides from Pakistan and sew them in UAE (where they are then mailed out) or if the jackets (and goatskin hides) all come from Pakistan where they are assembled, sent to UAE for eventual distribution to customers around the world. A quick google search shows that there are a lot of goats (both domestic and feral) in the country of UAE.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I see that these ship out from the WPG warehouse (factory?) in UAE. I wonder if they import goatskin hides from Pakistan and sew them in UAE (where they are then mailed out) or if the jackets (and goatskin hides) all come from Pakistan where they are assembled, sent to UAE for eventual distribution to customers around the world. A quick google search shows that there are a lot of goats (both domestic and feral) in the country of UAE.

I'm not sure Thor. Jerry has quite a bit of stuff made in Pakistan so my first pic would be there. Whomever he has making them though certainly seem to be very competent leather workers.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I'm not sure Thor. Jerry has quite a bit of stuff made in Pakistan so my first pic would be there. Whomever he has making them though certainly seem to be very competent leather workers.
If the jacket is well-made and fairly priced, that's what matters. Sounds like the WPG is a winner.
Smithy, your write-up and review got me hooked so I've ordered one myself. Got a notice that the jacket shipped from UAE yesterday so I await it's arrival. Thanks!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If the jacket is well-made and fairly priced, that's what matters. Sounds like the WPG is a winner.
Smithy, your write-up and review got me hooked so I've ordered one myself. Got a notice that the jacket shipped from UAE yesterday so I await it's arrival. Thanks!

I hope you'll like yours as much as I like mine ;)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family

My thinking is the same with regards to price and quality.
Seriously looked at it, but the lack of side entry pockets was a no deal for me. Nice jacket for sure, but instead opted for the US Wings A-2 2000 at $195 with free shipping. This one will be my "patch" jacket. Full review to come...

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Just checked the USW site and took a look at the $195 A-2; not bad. However I do like the fact that WPG attempted to replicate many of the WWII jacket details on their A-2 (cotton lining, no hand warmer pockets, one-piece back, leather hanger strip sewn on back of collar, trim fit). At sub-200 bucks, you can't go wrong with either one, especially if you plan to throw some patches on it (that's my plan for the WPG jacket).

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
WPG is to be commended for their effort. The US Wings A-2 has a one piece back and sleeves, leather coat hook sewn in the collar back. The lining is a nylon material as this makes it much easier to put the jacket on. They previously did a cotton lining and made the switch to the nylon because of this. Having owned 3 A-2 jackets and a G-1, one with a pure cotton type of lining, one with a cotton / nylon blend, and two in all nylon (G&B and Schott), the nylon liner is much more comfortable when actually wearing the jacket. Easier to put on and take off, more freedom of movement.

The size M should be a slim fit. Spoke with US Wings and got the measurements. It is spot on the same as my Cockpit USA size 40R. When mine arrives, it will get a thorough inspection and complete review right here on the lounge. It is on back order...should be here in two weeks.

While not 100% historically correct, my preference is for the nylon and hand warmers. The additional function allowed with these features is more important to me than the accurate replication value. But, many here choose otherwise, and that is just fine. Plenty of options for all of us...ranging from $$$ 100% WWII period accurate A-2's, to 150 - 200 dollar jackets that wear well, look good, and will last a long, long time. We should all be happy!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I disagree with you on cotton linings - I prefer the way they feel, especially on skin with short sleeves, and I'm willing to put up with the added effort getting them on and off. When the temps and sun warm things to the upper range of when you can still wear a leather jacket, having soft, breathable cotton vs. a synthetic lining makes for much greater comfort.

But hey, that's me...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I disagree with you on cotton linings - I prefer the way they feel, especially on skin with short sleeves, and I'm willing to put up with the added effort getting them on and off. When the temps and sun warm things to the upper range of when you can still wear a leather jacket, having soft, breathable cotton vs. a synthetic lining makes for much greater comfort.

But hey, that's me...

Definitely +1

A cotton lining over synthetic any day of the week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn