Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Price Glory A-2 Jacket

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Having ummed and aahed about getting an A-2 for about 8 years now I just received one of these yesterday.

As I've only tried an A-2 on twice I thought I'd get one of these to see if I could live with the design before splashing out on a more expensive repro.

In all truth I'm quite shocked by the quality of this offering considering the price. Leather is a nice, soft goatskin (colour is somewhere between milk and dark chocolate), stitching is very well done, lining is very nice too as well as its colour. The design has a collar stand and although I'm no expert, jacket is possibly similar in cut and details to a Perry.

Overall fit is perfect for me (I'm 40'' chest and 6' 1'', jacket is size large), trim-ish but room to move, definitely not Japanese trim.

Photos on the WPG don't really do the jacket justice so I'll try and post some very shortly - although with new baby eminently arriving it might have to wait a day or so!

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Photos on the WPG don't really do the jacket justice so I'll try and post some very shortly - although with new baby eminently arriving it might have to wait a day or so!

Don't tease with a post, then not deliver the photos!

thor

One Too Many
image.jpg
The pics on the WPG website do look pretty good, especially for a jacket at that low price!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry for the lack of photos, I hope to rectify that tomorrow.

And Thor, thanks for posting those. TBH they don't really do the jacket justice and the fit (at least on me) is much better than shown in those.

Here's some more of my initial thoughts:

PROS

- The price. Bloody cheap by anyone's standards. Interestingly at $150 it's roughly what an A-2 was worth back in 1942.

- Leather. A very nice soft goatskin with nice grain which drapes very nicely. Colour is very nice, a rich dark seal.

- Lining. Very good, sturdy cotton lining in a correct wartime shade.

- Fit. Definitely a non-blousey, trim wartime shape. Sleeve length is perfect, no tunnelling, and body sits about an inch or two past my belt line. It was one of those lucky occasions for me where the size I got is perfect for my body shape - I'm exceedingly happy with it.

- Workmanship. Like many here I daresay, I've had a few cheap jackets (and some not some cheap for that matter) in my time where the workmanship is shoddy, dodgy stitching with bunched up seams and leather, poorly cut, etc. The one thing which I am still stunned about with this jacket is the level of quality. It really is ridiculously good. Streets ahead of what I would have expected for a jacket of this price. I wasn't expecting anything near this standard so I am very, very happy.

CONS

- No label. Personally not a biggie for me. One of the reasons why I wanted an A-2 is because of my interest in 331 and 332 Sqns in the RAF which were manned by Norwegians and who were the only units in the RAF to wear A-2 which had been issued during training in Little Norway in Canada. Andrew has tentatively confirmed my suspicions that these jackets wouldn't have carried a USAAF contract label for obvious reasons.

- Knits. These are nice quality (mid to dark brown) but are perhaps a little on the long side. Again not a biggie for me but others may disagree.

- Zipper. Well it's brass and marked Talon but (although I'm not an A-2 expert) I don't think it's a wartime design Talon. However I'm actually very happy with it, it has a nice action and feels sturdy enough, and doesn't look out of place.

CONCLUSION

Overall I'm thrilled with this jacket. The likes of GW and ELC aren't going to be quaking in their boots but there might be a few mid range makers who might not like to see this available and for the price. It seems to be a very well made jacket and although I've only had it two days the initial signs are very good. I really can't repeat enough how surprised I am at the level of quality of materials, workmanship and just how well it fits and feels. Definitely recommended and a very big well done to WPG. If they are all like this, they deserve to sell an absolute boatload of them.

Sounds great Smithy, and congrats on the soon arrival of the little one!

Thanks Wes, can't be long now!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
OK here's some very quick snaps of the WPG A-2. I'll try and take some tomorrow in natural daylight (including details) if I get time.

These aren't the greatest but should give an idea of the fit.

A-21_zps61bc748f.jpg

A-23_zpsdc465ec9.jpg

A-22_zps7be52957.jpg

Could you give us the measurements across the shoulders, down the back and down the sleeves?

Atomjet, I'll drag out the tape measure tomorrow for you and post the measurements for my large size jacket.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
Very nice indeed, Smithy! And an excellent write-up. Thoroughly enjoyed your observations and opinions on the WPG A-2. Thank you.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Very nice indeed, Smithy! And an excellent write-up. Thoroughly enjoyed your observations and opinions on the WPG A-2. Thank you.

Thanks Thor. I actually only bought this jacket to see if I could live with an A-2, with a view to buying a more expensive repro. Now though, I'm in no rush to do so. It's such a superbly made and well-fitting jacket that I'm exceedingly happy with it.

I'm actually already thinking of grabbing another one and patching it up ;)

atomjet58

Familiar Face
Nice color and texture. The size, shape and spacing of the pockets is pretty good too.
I've always wondered why so many of the lower priced A-2 makers don't try to
make the pockets look more accurate. It doesn't seem like it would cost a lot
and it makes the jacket look much better.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a great write-up mate, and then the pictures, as they say, are worth a thousand words. It really looks the goods. I reckon I'll have to have a look into them myself . . . once I get my hands on some scratch (Missus on maternity leave, practically on one wage - you'll know all about it soon enough Smithy!).

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's a great write-up mate, and then the pictures, as they say, are worth a thousand words. It really looks the goods. I reckon I'll have to have a look into them myself . . . once I get my hands on some scratch (Missus on maternity leave, practically on one wage - you'll know all about it soon enough Smithy!).

That's incredibly nice and a perfect fit.

Thanks guys, I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

And Wes, tell me about it mate!

Looking at this on my phone, so... Are there handwarmer pockets, or is it correct invthat regard?

Hi Edward, no handwarmer pockets and correct one piece back.

I'll try and post some more detailed photos over the weekend if I get time. If being the operative word as we will very probably have a new addition to the family today or tomorrow ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Sounds great and congrats on your new jacket. Who would have thought that WPG could turn out something like that? Of course I only have the experience with their "Irvin" to compare with. But this time it really sounds like they have nailed it.
Looking forward to some pics too, mate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner