Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Stratoliner Color?

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
So it looks like I'm succumbing to the "buy another hat itch" I've been agonizing over another Campdraft or a first time Stratoliner. I like that I can get a Campdraft for 99.00 but not willing to wait 3 months. Then I see that Delmontico has a 15% off coupon which brings the Stratoliner down to 145. So I'm going to go a Stratoliner but torn between the Silverbelly and the Walnut. Any opinions as to which color is more vibrant and more versatile?
Thanks

Paravians

New in Town
Ordered my $99 Campdraft from everythingaustralian a few days ago, shipped same day, it will be here tomorrow or Thursday -- what three months wait (?)

In the end, only you can make such a decision. What will work best with your wardrobe is something we can't know. Silverbelly is a versatile color, but walnut is great too. Man, that is a tough call.

To each their own, but in my experience you might want to make sure you are getting one of the higher quality Stratoliners. The Premier was sold with an open crown and was a Royal DeLuxe quality hat. The Excellent is even better but very rare and expensive. The Stratoliners that come preformed was th teardrop crowns are made to the much lower Royal quality. You might be completely happy with a Royal, but the experience of most Loungers is that they are not good value. The Premier/Royal DeLuxe is a comparable to the Campdraft, but he Campdraft (both grades) is a huge step above the Royal Stratoliner. There is a lot of information on this under the the Stratoliner Appreciation (Modern) thread. Well worth the read.

I'm assuming your Campdraft pricing is from EverythingAustralian. You'll pay more going through Hats Direct/The Hattery or David Morgan, but they are still good deals and likely to be in stock for immediate delivery.

A couple of links that might be of help:

The fall 2017 Stetson (city) catalog:

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f17stetsoncitydigital.pdf

One 2 Mini Ranch Premier Stratoliners (on sale and with free shipping):

http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-premier-statoliner-open-crown-fur-fedora/

Post photos of whichever hat you end up getting. Good luck.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
In the end, only you can make such a decision. What will work best with your wardrobe is something we can't know. Silverbelly is a versatile color, but walnut is great too. Man, that is a tough call.

To each their own, but in my experience you might want to make sure you are getting one of the higher quality Stratoliners. The Premier was sold with an open crown and was a Royal DeLuxe quality hat. The Excellent is even better but very rare and expensive. The Stratoliners that come preformed was th teardrop crowns are made to the much lower Royal quality. You might be completely happy with a Royal, but the experience of most Loungers is that they are not good value. The Premier/Royal DeLuxe is a comparable to the Campdraft, but he Campdraft (both grades) is a huge step above the Royal Stratoliner. There is a lot of information on this under the the Stratoliner Appreciation (Modern) thread. Well worth the read.

I'm assuming your Campdraft pricing is from EverythingAustralian. You'll pay more going through Hats Direct/The Hattery or David Morgan, but they are still good deals and likely to be in stock for immediate delivery.

A couple of links that might be of help:

The fall 2017 Stetson (city) catalog:

http://www.hat-co.com/perch//resources/f17stetsoncitydigital.pdf

One 2 Mini Ranch Premier Stratoliners (on sale and with free shipping):

http://www.one2miniranch.com/stetson-premier-statoliner-open-crown-fur-fedora/

Post photos of whichever hat you end up getting. Good luck.
Thanks

I went straight for the Bluegrass Green, didn't notice that apparently BG is the only color in stock (!)

It rotates at Everything Australian. Three months ago it was a theee month wait for the Bluegrass Green. Just how they do things. They have the best prices if you have the patience. Also, not all colors are available at the various retailers.

I think the proportions are a bigger factor between the Stratoliner and the Campdraft. The higher crown and wider brim of the Campdraft are appealing to me.

Stratoliner in Silverbelly (below):

0884bf84bfe486d06acdda0c189d5a46.jpg
9a3caf69ba3a8df4ecbaf91fa09a763a.jpg

Campdraft in Silverbelly (below):

6d60187aef7839b4d2ab315c96c559c1.jpg
e7fa061ecd7415fc8422f9ede862c919.jpg

Definitely different shades, but I don't think I have a favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered my $99 Campdraft from everythingaustralian a few days ago, shipped same day, it will be here tomorrow or Thursday -- what three months wait (?)
If Everything Australian has the hat you want in stock (style, size, and color) they ship almost immediately. If not, they have to order it from Akubra and it can take up to three months for Akubra to make your hat if they don't already have one in the works. They obviously sell items other than hats, so I assume their storage space is limited and they can't keep every size and color of every style of hat they sell in stock all of the time. Hats Direct/The Hattery sells only hats so they normally maintain a full stock, but they charge more. So, all things being equal, that's the trade-off--order from Hats Direct and get your hat sooner but pay more, or order from Everything Australian and face a possible three-month-wait but pay less.

Veering back towards the main topic, I can't disagree that Silverbelly is probably more versatile but I'd get Walnut simply because I prefer that color.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Well it seems that Providence has smiled on me. I was "settling" on the Stratoliner because I did not want to wait 3 months for a Tawny Campdraft. Just got an email from Tim letting me know that they indeed have 1 size 59 Tawny Campdraft in stock at EA. Needless to say I just placed my order MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!

Well it seems that Providence has smiled on me. I was "settling" on the Stratoliner because I did not want to wait 3 months for a Tawny Campdraft. Just got an email from Tim letting me know that they indeed have 1 size 59 Tawny Campdraft in stock at EA. Needless to say I just placed my order MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!
Congratulations! I think you will be well pleased with Tawny.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Well, well, it now seems Providence is frowning on me. New email from Tim at EA says they made a mistake in inventory, they donot have the hat in stock. Back to square one, nothing can be simple can it

Paravians

New in Town
Why don't you get the Bluegrass Green now, darker color great for winter, and place an order for the Silverbelly as well. Comes spring you will get it and it will look great. Get two beautiful open crown hats for only $60 more than a single Stratoliner?

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Why don't you get the Bluegrass Green now, darker color great for winter, and place an order for the Silverbelly as well. Comes spring you will get it and it will look great. Get two beautiful open crown hats for only $60 more than a single Stratoliner?
Already have the BGG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ