Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the heck is this??

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I found this in a box of my Grandfather stuff and am wondering what the heck it is?

It is silver and isn't big enough to be a cigarette case. Anyone have any ideas what the heck this thing is?

Interesting art decoish design
img1723w.jpg

Back with seam
img1724bc.jpg

Open top with a US Quarter for size comparison
img1725s.jpg

Looking into the open top
img1726y.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If it's not a lighter, my uneducated guess would be a toothpick holder. Or maybe a holder for stick matches?

I have seen modern men's toothpick holders before (believe it or not), but it seems like it would be a little too tall for a toothpick.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I just double checked it. I doubt it was a lighter, the inside lip goes all the way to the top of the case.

The split in the lip is V shaped almost like you are supposed to be able to grasp the stuff inside. Wonder if it is a fancy gum holder?

I suggest a match holder....for wooden(kitchen) matches that could be struck practically anywhere. Carried in the pocket for cig...pipe smokers to keep matches neatly together rather than loose in a pocket...easy to rub on objects and ignite.
HD

rue

Fortune holder from your cookies?:eusa_doh:

lol

I suggest a match holder....for wooden(kitchen) matches that could be struck practically anywhere. Carried in the pocket for cig...pipe smokers to keep matches neatly together rather than loose in a pocket...easy to rub on objects and ignite.
HD

Good guess!

Although, I wish someone that knows more about these things would chime in.... ahem.....

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I would suggest match safe as well. Back in the day 'strike anywhere' matches could be ignited on darn near anything, so a strip wasn't strictly required. It looks like it could be 'trench art'. The grandpa of a friend was an artilleryman during WWII and spent most of the war making models of aircraft with shells.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would go with it being a toothpick holder. I once bought one as a present for someone and it was completely without markings or any indication of what it was for.

I would think it unlikely to be a match holder. The only match holder I own (part of a pocket wath, fob and chain set from the early 1900s) has a striking strip at the bottom. I am no expert on the matter, but I can only imagine most match holders would include a striking strip despite matches of the period being able to strike anywhere. After all, if one is going to pull out a match from a nice silver case, it doesn't look very impressive to then light the match on your heel or on a wall!

Of course, I may be completely wrong!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Tried some kitchen matches in it, the case is longer then the matches by just over 3/4 of a match length. Were matches similar lengths back then?

I am not convinced it is a match safe or a tooth pick holder, I would think they would want the case to be similar in length to what it is holding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo