Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What the well-dressed wear to clear snow...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
About 10 this morning I broke out the portable snowblower and cleared about 4" of snow off the driveway here in Fort Collins, CO. It's now 2:00 and there are another 2-3" out there, so i'll be out there again this afternoon.

In the process, I broke in my Stetson cattleman's bash western hat, which one of the members here opined might be called a Rancher. It's a fairly stiff felt with a 2 7/8" brim, 4.5" crown. Very much like an Open Road, but an unfinished edge. When I got it the brim was up all the way around and it looked pretty dorky. I just flipped the brim's front down, and I like the result very well. I also worked on the creases on the cattleman's bash - the previous owner had picked up by the crown's creases and pinched them together, but they opened up pretty well with a bit of steam and patience.

After wearing it in the snow and letting the snow pile up on it and melt a bit, it fits better. It was riding up on my forehead a bit when the photos were taken. Nothing, simply nothing, beats a good western hat to keep snow from falling down your neck!

You can judge the snowfall (which has been constant all day and continues) from the photos:

PC270080.jpg

PC270082.jpg

Oh - that's Max "The World's Must Useless Dog" in the top photo. He's not worthless, just useless. We love him dearly.

vintage68

Practically Family
Great looking hat! It does ride up a bit, but I'm sure a bit of wear will solve that problem.
As a guy who previously lived in Denver, CO. I can attest to the usefulness of western style hats while shoveling snow!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Here are some better photos of the hat:

PC270084.jpg

PC270087.jpg

PB210348.jpg

This one probably has the most accurate color. I got the right side of the brim (left side in this photo) to lay down more evenly and the whole front brim to curve more gracefully after the photo was taken:
PB210350.jpg

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Ben there

Done that, getting ready to do it again tomorrow. I was planning on going to the Stetson Outlet to pick up a hat for my uncle in Scotland. BUT who knows, I may be wearing a hat shoveling snow!!!!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
bolthead said:
Of course you do......:D

Prairie Shade, you know darn well that your Uncle isn't the only one getting a new Stetson tomorrow....:rolleyes:

Not if he's half as smart as I think!! :eusa_clap

PS: I just finished the second round with the snowblower - with 5 minutes to spare before the Holiday Bowl starts. My alma mater WSU beat Texas the last time they went there - I'm hoping that Arizona State upholds the honor of the PAC-10 and beats them this year!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Nope, Texas beat AZ State handily - and the Longhorn band wears funny-looking hats. (I'm glad I'm not the guy who has to take care of all those band hats.):rolleyes:

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Only One Hat from Outlet

I purchased an Open Road for my Uncle, 35 bucks and he can wear it with his pipe band. I look forward to those pictures. I tried to dicker on a Buffalo Felt Open Crown but couldnt get them to budge from 70 dollars. Oh well, maybe someone here has taken the plunge and could tell me if I did well by NOT buying it. The felt,,,,, OK, but Buffalo Felt, I dont know. Kinda trendy I guess. It says waterproof and doesnt feel too bad. Anyone hear the call of the buffalo???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112