Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What to wear - advise please.

ajf

New in Town
Hi there. First post and after some general advise.
I bought a fairly inexpensive Fedora at Christmas mainly because I have always fancied one, rather than for a specific event etc.
It is dark/chocolate brown with a brown ribbon.
So I am really after some understanding of how and when to wear it!

Firstly, is it acceptable to wear a brown hat with a dark blue suit and black shoes?
I have tried to search and found some similar questions but no yes or no answer really. I am off to a wedding soon and thought I could give it its first outing then!

Secondly, do many people wear Fedoras with casual wear?
I am thinking the typical 'Adam Savage' look of black t-shirt, blue jeans and brown shoes?

Thanks
Andrew
UK

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
If you have a nice hat and dress poorly you will typically look like a doork. Suit is hard to say, you'd have to post a picture.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So you have brown leather shoes? I like the blue suit/ brown hat combination but maybe the black shoes could look wrong. I don't believe in the no blue and brown rule and think it is a rather recent invention from some fashion bloggers or magazines.

The casual version is fine too. Plenty of pictures with people wearing a hat with a casual outfit here on the FL.

Just one question: Are you interested in a "vintage" style or do you want to wear it in a modern way?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There really are no rules about these things. I never wear a suit but I do wear a brown broad brimmed felt hat with black shoes. Matching things up is a modern preoccupation.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Dress to Express.

Never forget what the singing cowboy has to say;

The way a man chooses to Dress is nobodys Business but his own.

DamianM

Vendor
wow, I'm confused. Am I still in the fedora lounge?
a place where we talk about golden era suits and then turn around and say were a "fedora with sandals"

Change the shoes to a pair of brown shoes and it will be fine
Here is the example from a page from Apparel arts
racetrack+blue.jpg

Brown hat blue suit and black shoes will look wrong

Vintage or not it will look good

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Brown & blue is a good combination. But shoes and hat should be coordinated. I'm all for 'throwing out the rulebook' at times (since a lot of the so-called rules are nonsense) but hat and shoes is an area that I would not personally compromise on. Similarly, I do not wear brown leather gloves with black leather shoes. I know most people won't notice, but I will.

ajf

New in Town
Thank you very much for the comments and advice.
As broccoli put it this is exactly what I want to avoid! Especially as I am quite short - just a touch over 5 foot - so tend to stand out anyway.
The brown shoes I mentioned are only casual shoes - nubuck (I think) CAT shoes for jeans.
This is the hat and suit colour for info. The suit is probably slightly darker than the photo suggests.

Capture.JPG

IMG_2824.jpg

Was thinking something like this for formal shoes:
shoe.JPG

Thanks
Andrew

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
a place where we talk about golden era suits and then turn around and say were a "fedora with sandals"
There is such a thing as "vintage casual" though and some of it is rather daring. Remember resort wear with espadrilles and stuff... Not that I do wear them myself. Just saying.
Also the whole "workwear" trend could be described as "casual" and certainly works with a brown fedora. Disfarmer pictures come to my mind.

But we still don't know how much vintage inspired he wants the outfit to be. Regardless blue and brown is a good combination. Brown and black ...hm....depends. I am more careful with that.

ajf, I think with the shoes in the picture you got a good look.

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
I like what Don Tomaso & Flat Foot had to say.
This is kinda me,too (ajf)...
I aim toward a "vintage" style but, aim to keep it simple.
How i live is simple so, in my mind how i dress should be too.

Learned Lots..& LOTS More to learn

ajf

New in Town
Sorry for the slow response back, and again thanks for the tips and comments.
Regarding vintage or modern, I hadn't really thought specifically one way or the other.
I just want to look smart, so I guess a slight mixture of both. Certainly not modern in the sense of the latest fashions.
I am pretty conservative in general.

ajf

New in Town
Those Loake shoes are really nice but a bit more than I want to spend at this stage. This isn't a style I have worn before so keeping things sensible in case I don't wear again!
Just purchased these on the basis I can take back unworn if they are not right all together.
Here they are with the suit trousers and hat.
Do you think they all look OK? Not sure if I should have gone for something darker?
I'll have a brown belt too.
Unfortunately the shoes I posted earlier are no longer on sale.

IMG_1898.jpg

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
I'd say the shoes could get darker, it would fit the hat better. Take good care of the shoes and always use shoe trees.
For color matching, feel free to use this color matching chart, it goes over what hat fits what suit and vice versa.

http://jlindman.tumblr.com/image/51419586970

Now keep in mind that nothing is set in stone and theese are only guidelines. Brown hats are not mentioned with blue suits here, but it still works, depending on the hat.
And don't worry too much that the outfit is wrong in some minor way. You are just starting out! Wear it with confidence while you recieve many compliments along the way!

Last edited:

ajf

New in Town
Well again thanks to all for the comments, suggestions and advice.
Day went off well.
So here are a couple of shots for your fun and amusement :)

IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
Looks good, but in my opinion here is what can be better:
Shorten the trousers
Make the vest smaller
Use a smaller tie knot, four-in-hand for example would look better.

mattface

Practically Family
I think you did great with colors and styles, but given that you are a small man, the suit fit should be a lot less loose. Sometimes a tall lean guy can get away with a loose fit, but on a small man, a loose fitting suit just looks like you are swimming in it, and actually makes you look even smaller than you are. So I would suggest you get that suit tailored to fit a lot closer.

I'll echo the comments that you look good, but a little tailoring will help your suit fit your frame better.

As for one of your original questions about wearing a fedora...I wear one with business casual, but would not wear one with "street casual", such as blue jeans. I just think a fedora looks mis-matched with that level of casual, and one just looks like they're wearing a hat for fashion reasons rather than practicality, a la the hipster goofball look, which is probably not what you're wanting. I typically wear a flat cap when wearing anything less dressy than dress trousers and long-sleeve button up shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters