Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Dodgeball. Twice. Yeah, I know, it's a really dumb movie, but it makes me laugh so much.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood!"

I'll be the first admit that I list that one among my "guilty pleasure" movies, alongside most of Michael Bay's and Roland Emmerich's movies.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball." lol

I watched Focus with Wil Smith last night. Mostly because a friend recommended it and it only cost $1 on my cable channel. In a word it sucked!
I want my $1 back and will never listen to my friends recommendations ever again.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Kongo, a pre-code film I recently recorded from TCM.

Ridiculous, absurdly overwrought melodrama about a despotic ivory trader (Walter Huston, defining "over the top") who "rules" a section of "darkest Africa" with magic tricks for the "childlike" natives, addictive drugs for weak white folks, and sex slavery for all, including his convent-raised daughter and perpetually glistening-with-sweat Lupe Velez. It's a toss-up whether it's more terrible in terms of its African stereotypes or its impossibly dumb plot machinations. A real embarrassment coming from Cadillac-studio M-G-M.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I just checked TCM's schedule for tonight: I think I'll definitely watch Raffles (1939) with Olivia de Havilland and David Niven. Looks like a good one!

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
As per the spirit of the season tonight's movie was "Hellraiser". Not a favorite of mine, but one of my wife's. I'm more for terror, make your skin tingle stuff, not the gore. I want atmosphere to build and horror to mount.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Kongo, a pre-code film I recently recorded from TCM.

Ridiculous, absurdly overwrought melodrama about a despotic ivory trader (Walter Huston, defining "over the top") who "rules" a section of "darkest Africa" with magic tricks for the "childlike" natives, addictive drugs for weak white folks, and sex slavery for all, including his convent-raised daughter and perpetually glistening-with-sweat Lupe Velez. It's a toss-up whether it's more terrible in terms of its African stereotypes or its impossibly dumb plot machinations. A real embarrassment coming from Cadillac-studio M-G-M.
Wish we had that on our channels, I love these films,politically correct or not! Just love the woman who saves her baby from King Kong stamping on it, wearing a bra made from coconut halves!
Am I correct in that 'Darkest Africa' simply means an area where not much was known about the people and culture?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Correct. When parts of the interior had only been sparsely visited by white hunters, traders, and explorers, and maps and information were vague. A period that was actually already over by the 30s when the film was made, but still existed as a popular fictional space, e.g., Tarzan films.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Women In The Wind (1939) Not a very good movie, usual plot line. Still, worth watching for some great footage of Golden Era airplanes. The footage of the Stagerwing Beech doing aerobatics and flying above the clouds is spectacular. Only a couple of scenes were they use models!

Women In The Wind (1939) Not a very good movie, usual plot line. Still, worth watching for some great footage of Golden Era airplanes. The footage of the Stagerwing Beech doing aerobatics and flying above the clouds is spectacular. Only a couple of scenes were they use models!

Kay Francis lost her mojo back when the pre-code era ended.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Haunting, with Julie Harris, Claire Bloom, and Richard Johnson -- the 1963 adaptation of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. Much better in B & W, though the real problem with the remake was the overemphasis on special effects. The 1963 film has almost none. Most of the scary stuff is sounds, and you're left to imagine just what is banging up and down the hall at night.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That's one of my all-time favorites, and THE classic example of how much scarier implication is than what's shown. Another masterwork from the great Robert Wise.

No one lives closer than town. No one will come any closer than town. No one will hear you when you scream. In the night, in the dark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo