Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Denton

One of the Regulars
I have always been curious about Gabriel Over the White House but have never gotten a chance to see it. Very interesting discussion above.

I just watched The Torrid Zone (1940), which presents a different political conundrum. It sometimes has the feeling of a pre-code movie -- a lot of adultery, salty language, bad behavior, and morally complicated grownup behavior. It also sometimes seems to have the politics of a Warner Brothers movie from a few years earlier, including gratuitous use of the phrase "new deal" and remarkably bitter depiction of big business.

But at the same time the story celebrates the ruthlessness of Steve Case, the middle man working for the Baldwin Fruit Company (a clear stand in for the United Fruit Company). Case is played by Pat O'Brien, a brilliant performance that shows what he would have been like as Walter in The Front Page rather than Hildy. James Cagney is also great, and full of acrobatic energy, as the efficient plantation manager.

And then there's a character called Rosario, who is sometimes treated as a shiftless bandit, and sometimes as a noble revolutionary figure with a modest land reform project. This part of the plot seems to anticipate the conflict between the United Fruit Company and the Arbenz administration in Guatemala a decade later.

Depending on what scene you're watching, the movie is either about how terrible it is that a private company based in the US can replace the government and write the laws of a foreign country, or it's about how wonderful and exciting it is that private companies have the power to do that.

Stormy

A-List Customer
"Midnight Lace" - I hadn't watched this in 30 years or more, and I think it's even better now. Doris Day, John Gavin, Rex Harrison, Myna Loy, and Roddy McDowell are all some of my favorites and the best in Hollywood history! Love the Brit actress who plays the waitress also.

Coming up in a few minutes is my favorite “screw-ball” comedy on TCM.

Bringing Up Baby. (1938)

Cary Grant is great & Katherine Hepburn is priceless !

I'm with you, it is the best screwball comedy - somehow the screwball stuff, with usually makes me cringe, works (for the most part).

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Fighting Lady (1944) Another good propaganda film! At least, they were not sugar coating it any more. I should have recorded them all. [video=youtube;8I2flQqx1Eo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I2flQqx1Eo[/video]

"Society Lawyer" with Walter Pidgeon and Virginia Bruce.

Pidgeon plays a WASPy lawyer who becomes a bit of an outcast from the Old Boy's Club for defending - and winning case for - gangsters. But he then takes on a case defending one of his own society accused a murder. From here, the story is one of Pidgeon moving in his, the police and the gangster world with Bruce as the nightclub singer who becomes his de facto partner. Together and on their own, they hunt down clues, get into trouble, get out of trouble, become attracted to each other, get involved a bit with others - you get the point. It's all very light and feels to me like they were hoping to make a series out of it. But since it was only okay, but never had a real spark, my guess is they stopped with this one.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just watched 1947's "A Matter of Life and Death" with David Niven and Kim Hunter. So different and yet such a great film. Really enjoyed it.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Millions like us (1943).
I knew it was a British wartime propaganda movie, but oh my goodness it was wonderful. I cried buckets at the closing scene. Gordon Jackson was so young (he was 21 when it was filmed, but he looks like he's in his late teens) and the scene when he proposes to Celia in the crowded pub, well I got teary over that too. On a completely superficial level I loved the wartime fashions & the ladies hairdos, oh and any movie with Irene Handl (even though her role was tiny) is worth watching.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
At our monthly movie night get-together it was Another Thin Man, and the snappy dialogue mixed with the Powell-Loy chemistry made for lots of laughs.
Then, last night my wife and I watched Sorry, Wrong Number, based on the famous radio play.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"Arsenic and Old Lace" with Cary Grant! A picture that remains my grandmothers favorite, and I'm so glad she shared with me! I watch it each fall.

I know I have said this before, but, who knew mass murder could be funny? Still my all time favorite comedy! Does that reflect badly on me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran