Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

59Lark

Practically Family
Hang em high with clint eastwood.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Last sat, while I was getting lunch ready and the store was still open, i ended up watching on amc, this clint eastwood movie and it was still on after cooking lunch, eating lunch, and washing dishes. A long western but I remember this relentless hunting for the men who hung clint. I will have to see if I can find that on video cassette. One of the best westerns i have seen in years. Also has anyone yet seen Latest Indy jones, and who was the real life character they loosely based indy on, saw it in some magazine that i had too put back down too soon. lark59

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
Several reasons:

1) Creatures with vaguely human parts are disturbing (see also Geiger, H.R.: Alien films).

2) They're supposed to be from a Lovecraft dimension, so it makes 'em creepy.

3) There's also "End of Days" symbolism in them; Locusts in Revelation are described to be huge, with the heads of men, and stings that torment.

I see. Thanks. Perhaps I would had gotten that had I read the novella. :eek:

LD

A.R. McVintage

Lady Day said:
I see. Thanks. Perhaps I would had gotten that had I read the novella. :eek:

LD

Well, the biggest hint in the novella is a nod toward the Lovecraft. The last part comes from seeing how they spit-balled the art on the bonus features (and knowing Darabont and how he hammered the Carmody/World's ending story home in the movie, ergo the religious tie-in) and the first part is just my supposition. Monsters (to me) are more creepy when they have something human that's been distorted terribly (like how you can see a human skull for the Alien jaw/eyes inside the dome of its head).

A.R. McVintage

Indiana Jones and the Really Long and Arbitrary Sounding Name Containing the Word Skull.

Fun, but like Roger Ebert said, it's like eating four pounds of sausage. The first is the best, then, in order, you have your case of diminishing returns.

carter

I'll Lock Up
ShoreRoadLady said:
Lady on a Train with Deanna Durbin. Not a bad little movie.

One of my favorites! And the lady could sing!

I took my daughter and a friend to the Narnia...Prince Caspian movie. They were enthralled. I slept.
shhhhhhhh

A.R. McVintage

carter said:
I took my daughter and a friend to the Narnia...Prince Caspian movie. They were enthralled. I slept. [/FONT]shhhhhhhh

I enjoyed it. The best way to think of it is like another version of The Two Towers.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A.R. McVintage said:
Well, the biggest hint in the novella is a nod toward the Lovecraft. The last part comes from seeing how they spit-balled the art on the bonus features (and knowing Darabont and how he hammered the Carmody/World's ending story home in the movie, ergo the religious tie-in) and the first part is just my supposition. Monsters (to me) are more creepy when they have something human that's been distorted terribly (like how you can see a human skull for the Alien jaw/eyes inside the dome of its head).

I find it odd then, that they chose Struzan to model the character's art from instead of HR Geiger. I think that parallel would have been interesting....

LD

A.R. McVintage

Lady Day said:
I find it odd then, that they chose Struzan to model the character's art from instead of HR Geiger. I think that parallel would have been interesting....

LD

Darabont said he's always liked Struzan and wanted to honor his work. There's a featurette with Darabont, Del Toro, and Struzan all basically massaging each other's egos in between talking about how Struzan is a modern-"classic" poster artist.

And I thought Darabont's little wink via The Thing poster let knowing audience members in on the darker themes the film was going to deal with.

Especially since the point of the monsters in the store being worse than the ones out of it was driven heavily.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
As the better half and I were rather jaded after a party from the night before, we watched a couple last night, "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Ninth Gate" which were both on Swedish TV4. Interspersed a little bit with switching over to see the final result of the Eurovision Song Contest (don't know why we bothered watching that, the voting is so predicable).

59Lark

Practically Family
question is did you like the indy film.

I may take my wife and eldest daughter to go see the lastest indy film but since it will cost at least $50.dollars, and since that is more than a days wages for me , i would like some feed back from some loungers that has seen it. I read in a popular magazine that the reason that the first two had a forties feel they actually used ? a producer? director that made movies in forties, he is still alive but in his nineties so unable to do this one. I am sure harrison ford didnt let them staple his hat to his head in this movie. I also understand the new enemy is the red star commie, not the gestapo anymore. My favourite new movie set period for quite a while is the shadow, the rings and codes and the clothes and the cord taxi cab is cool. 59lark:D

Feraud

Bartender
59Lark said:
I may take my wife and eldest daughter to go see the lastest indy film but since it will cost at least $50.dollars, and since that is more than a days wages for me , i would like some feed back from some loungers that has seen it.
Considering this I suggest you wait for the dvd release.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I rented the DVD "Death Sentance" tonight starring Kevin Bacon. It was pretty predictable "revenge movie" fare. I would say re-watch "Death Wish" with Charles Bronson or check out a newer film, "Hard Candy".
Sorry, Kevin Bacon!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mary Rilley (again)

A real nice take on the Jekyll/Hyde story through the eyes of the maid, Mary Riley. And its one of the only movies Ive ever seen where Julia Robert's actually acts! ;)

LD

A.R. McVintage

The Naked Jungle, a 1954 Charlton Heston film about a gruff cocoa plantation owner and his mail-order wife from New Orleans and their native employees who together fend off the "marabunta," a swarm of giant soldier ants 20 miles long and 2 miles wide in the heart of Peru.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran